Bailey & Coster – Our Way with…Wagglers

Dave Coster

Feature Writer
Reaction score
Hi Dave C. Always interesting to read your articles. I was struggling (as per normal!) today on the Broxbourne Conkers stretch of the Lea, trying for chub on far bank maggot waggler. There was only a very light downstream wind, but firstly I had difficulty catapulting maggots across. I think I need a howitzer. Secondly, with the far bank flow slower than the middle, which was a reasonable pace as the river is still fining down, the line forms a bow almost instantly, and the bow quickly gets much bigger as it travels downstream. Mending the line becomes more difficult and drags the 3SSG float across, ruining presentation. I expect you’ve experienced these problems on your many Lea escapades. Any pointers on overcoming these issues would be more than welcome.

Best power catapult elastic for waggler fishing with maggots or casters is the black Guru one, in combination with their small round mesh pouch. Both spares match up okay with most types of catapult.

I learnt my waggler fishing on the River Lea and remember the Conkers stretch of the Crown Fishery well. There are several ways of improving presentation in the conditions you describe. 1. Use a floating line, which is easier to mend. 2. Cast and feed downstream, which helps to stop a bow forming. 3. If you can’t beat the bow problem, you can still keep your float working properly for long enough to get a bite by feeding more line out, creating an even bigger bow, which creates enough resistance to strike into when the float goes under. 4. If none of that works use a light bomb rig with a short 12-14inch hook length, but feed the same way as you would with waggler tackle. This largely forgotten method often pulls savage chub bites when nothing else is working.

Best Regards, Dave

Crystal Bend

Reaction score
I always use a swivel float adaptor, which bends on the strike and has much the same effect. As for nuisance fish on the waggler, shotting can’t always sort that problem. The trick then is to feed the small fish off by putting more grub in. I find when this pulls in the bigger fish, the smaller ones then get pushed out.

Best Regards, Dave
Dave, thanks for that. Great knowledge. On one of your previous posts about heli rigs and also fishing with flourocarbon on the feeder, do you know about this line I posted on Maggotdrowners:

Just took delivery of this line in 10lb strength. Very impressed. Not fished with it yet but tied a Grinner Knot to my Disgorger and couldn't break it!
During the 1st Lockdown I watched Steve Maher's Q&A on Clive Branson's YouTube and he spoke about this type of line, P Line in 10lb that he uses for all his Barbel Feeder Fishing from the States.
Postage was prohibitive for me but found this closer and bought it.
I reckon it could be very good as a Reel Line or for Heli Rigs.
No stretch, sligthly supple, high abrasion resistance with near invisibility, 0.28mm in 10lb, the same knot strength as mono, ease of use just behind mono, casting 1 star behind mono, abrasion resistance 1 star behind fluoro & sensitivity 1 star behind fluoro.
Recommended Knot the Trilene Knot.
Anyway thought I'd share.
Regards,
John

Crystal Bend

Reaction score
Best power catapult elastic for waggler fishing with maggots or casters is the black Guru one, in combination with their small round mesh pouch. Both spares match up okay with most types of catapult.

I learnt my waggler fishing on the River Lea and remember the Conkers stretch of the Crown Fishery well. There are several ways of improving presentation in the conditions you describe. 1. Use a floating line, which is easier to mend. 2. Cast and feed downstream, which helps to stop a bow forming. 3. If you can’t beat the bow problem, you can still keep your float working properly for long enough to get a bite by feeding more line out, creating an even bigger bow, which creates enough resistance to strike into when the float goes under. 4. If none of that works use a light bomb rig with a short 12-14inch hook length, but feed the same way as you would with waggler tackle. This largely forgotten method often pulls savage chub bites when nothing else is working.

Best Regards, Dave
Dave, when you say light bomb rig, what weight bomb?