Bargains. Let us know.

flightliner

Reaction score
Couldn't resist in the end so went back and bought the other two fly rods for a fiver each, on the basis that anything with a cork handle has got to be worth a fiver. Maybe not, but they are in good nick, ones a Leeda and the other a Diawa, but ones a 6-7 rating so might get used. Not a bad haul for twenty quid, couldn't say no, the anglers curse! (can't figure out whats happening with the image)
View attachment 9390
Is the rod on the left a Daiwa procaster?

rayner

Reaction score
Was the apron bought from Kevin, Mike? He has the odd bargain, I dropped him off a load of old tackle that I gave him when he first opened the shop.
He for one is a shop owner that's not all about profit.

mikench

Reaction score
On the bay is a brand new cane rod for sale. It's an Avon MKIV "Perfection" . It looks like my first bamboo rod with , what look like similar guides, and metal reel holders. I don't like the look and cannot see the point of having a rod with antiquated fixtures particularly one costing £450.

If i bought a new old mini or ford Capri or 964 i would not want , for nostalgia sake, cross ply tires, drum brakes, no synchromesh, no heated window or aircon and a mw/lw radio at any price.

Surely one would want the best modern guides and reel seat? It might be handmade but not for me.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Surely one would want the best modern guides and reel seat? It might be handmade but not for me.

Most folks that would buy such gear aren't under any illusion that it will compete, performance wise, with most modern rods at a fraction of the price. They are interested in the style, aesthetics and collectability. Putting modern rings and reel seats on a split cane rod would likely be considered heretical or dressing mutton as lamb. Those that wouldn't consider using cane rods would probably believe it to be a waste of decent fittings.

steve2

Reaction score
I keep looking at cane rods not because unlike some I believe that they are better than modern rods, they are not and never will be. I just like the look of them. Would I pay £450 for this one, judging by the pics, no.
But out there somewhere is a rod I would be willing to pay out for. With my fishing days are now few and far between what is wrong with a bit of nostalgia fishing it might rekindle my interest.

mikench

Reaction score
Nothing Steve. It’s your money and you can spend it how you like. Nostalgia ain’t what it used to be.

mikench

Reaction score
Sainsbury's have a big bunch of gladioli for £2 ; a bargain, stunning to look at and brownie points. You can't say all that about most fishing Tackle.

flightliner

Reaction score
Was the apron bought from Kevin, Mike? He has the odd bargain, I dropped him off a load of old tackle that I gave him when he first opened the shop.
He for one is a shop owner that's not all about profit.
Hi Gary, yes it was from Kevin, I was also tempted to buy a Drennan pellet waggle combo rod he had on show on a rod rack.
It was almost mint and for the princely sum of £35, not even worth the haggle at that price.
I had a look inside the shop too but I couldn't find another item of interest as he'd just had a tidy round bless him! ??

flightliner

Reaction score
Insomnia Mick? ;)
Yes Mike, and getting worse.
Up to a few months ago I could sleep from 11 pm until 6am but lately I hit the pillow as normal but around 3/4 am these days I wake up unable to sleep so I go downstairs for an hour or so then back to bed, it seems to work but I don't like it!!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Picked these old lures up for a tenner and a few hooks and a 6oz rolling weight for a quid. The lures were in a big jar of weights in a clearance shop and I would have not have noticed them but the proprietor pulled it out and said have a look through it. 20 old lures which is 50p each. Anyone know what the lures are under the Devon minnows, I have never seen them before, they are brass with side plates screwed on and a propeller type tail, quite heavy. I don't do much lure fishing, occasionally in the sea but I might keep some of these and try out one day; maybe one or two of the mepps and adapt them for Mullet.. While I was researching the wooden plug I came across a lure for £1.200 on eBay pictured below, Losing that in a tree would be a problem so only for collectors but that's a lot of money.
100_0428.JPG
rare lure.jpg

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
Mark, I would arrange them in a nice frame they'd look good hanging on the wall.

Just had a delivery of a new waggler rod to replace my Shimano powerloop 14' match that I will go to the lad next door.
Not an expensive rod it was only 58 quid, a Shakespear Agility 13' match
Putting both rods side by side the Shakespear knocks the Shimano into a cocked hat, for less than half the cost my choice was a good one.

steve2

Reaction score
A good select of lure for £10. Those heddon lures are a bit over priced using that as a guide my heddon lures must be
worth around £10000. Realistically nearer £500.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I can't quite agree with Sam Vimes on new rings on old rods, I'm a bit of a barbarian, and if one of my bamboo "users" needs rings replacing, it gets modern ones, and is usually vastly improved by it. The longer and less ledgery it is, the greater the improvement, the prime example being my 12' reed ferruleless (i.e. cane-to cane joints) Spanish reed job, which has been completely transformed from something Geoff Capes might have trained with into a magic wand even I can wield for ages. Trots way better, too.
Once I've shuffled off and all my kit's been ebayed, the next owner can fit High Bell's "Life" rings if he wants, but if he means to fish it, I can't see them staying on for long.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Picked up two rods today, a Silster carp rod and a Shakespeare match rod, both graphite carbon rods in good nick, cork handles as well. Paid £10 for the two and walked in the bookies an hour later and the bloke in there offered me £40 for them; result. Although I would have rather kept them on reflection and sold my old ones, they were very nice rods.

mikench

Reaction score
I used to tell Rob the Rake( sadly missed) that he clearly had a better class of s/h shops in his part of the world. We have more than our share of such shops but they have never had fishing Tackle in , only Armani suits and junk.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I used to tell Rob the Rake( sadly missed) that he clearly had a better class of s/h shops in his part of the world. We have more than our share of such shops but they have never had fishing Tackle in , only Armani suits and junk.
Look on the bright side Mike, the down and outs will blend in with you locals by wearing the Armani suits .?