Bargains. Let us know.

rayner

Reaction score
I've been looking at Shimano reels, wow, the cost of some they range from just short of 20 quid to 800 quid for fixed spool reels.
I rummaged out an old Shimano Aero match that I bought in the 80s I've ordered some 3lb Maxima to load it. That saved a few quid.

seth49

Reaction score
in Lidl on the fourth day of October, similar to the one I use for mixing groundbait at home.

Silvercrest Hand Mixer https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/p35665?productId=35665&countryCode=GB
1600962109209.png

Reaction score
Not really a fit for this thread maybe,but last year I saw a mate using a Kodex folding barbel landing net,fancied one,only to find they had been discontinued,gutted,anyway,last week on fleabay I noticed one,new,unused,a ladies uncle had bought it,then unfortunately passed away,it was up for bids starting at £14.99,they retailed at around £24 I believe,put a maximum of the latter,but won it for the starting bid,RIP to the former owner and I hope to do it justice for him..

mikench

Reaction score
I have a few Sea reels from a 7000 to a 2000 and gave them all a good wash, dry and lubrication yesterday. I also treated them to a reel case rather than have them in a box. Decathlon sell some splendid waterproof and padded cases for 10€ which are perfect. They even have a light reflecting strip so you can locate them in the dark. The zip appears very sturdy and is a larger one than normal. Good gear and well worth the money.

seth49

Reaction score
Vacuum Food Sealer & Refill Set for just £29.98. Check it out: https://www.aldi.co.uk/p/000000434705000
I find this very useful for sealing ground bait bags, in fact any plastic bags, also stops freezer burn if used in the freezer, if you vacuum pack maggots and freeze them they come out really fresh, also use for splitting packs of mussels, corn etc into enough for one days fishing. Should be good for pike baits too.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
For £3 picked up this in a junk shop. It is in fact a cooler bag for a bottle wine by the looks of it but it will take my reel, floats/flies, sandwich, drink and bits and bobs and will make a fine roving bag. About 12ins and fits nicely over the shoulder.
100_0531.JPG

mikench

Reaction score
Not necessarily a bargain and not the season but Monster Particles have big reductions on their mixes and particles and if you can share with someone buying in bulk can make sense. I’m not sure why they email me as I’ve never bought from them.

Bluenose

Reaction score
Not necessarily a bargain and not the season but Monster Particles have big reductions on their mixes and particles and if you can share with someone buying in bulk can make sense. I’m not sure why they email me as I’ve never bought from them.

Can't speak for their other particles but their hemp offer is/was exceptional. £1 a kilo cooked. Large grain sizes, vacuum packed. Ok, dry hemp is cheaper, but factor in the time, fuel, smell and mess and their cooked stuff is a no brainer imo.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I’ve bought three new rods recently. I ordered a light spinning rod via Ali Express, as I fancied a go at light lure fishing. This rod was a six foot rod made by a company called SeaKnight, the model was a Kraken. I ordered the lightest model which was 3-8 gram casting weight. I paired this with a 1000 size Shimano reel, which balanced it nicely. My first impression of the rod was how well made it was. The rings were Fuji’s and it was nicely whipped with a fold down hook keeper. First trip with the new rod on the river and it fished as good as it looked. It cast well and there was no grating of the braid through the rings. The proof of the pudding was how well it handled the fish I caught. I used 5kg braid with a 5lb flouro leader. During the day I had loads of perch and three pike, the best going 11lb3oz. I landed all the fish with no difficulty and am totally impressed with the rod. If you were pressed to guess the price of the rod I don’t think you would believe that it comes in at a fraction over forty quid in fact if it had a price tag of double the price you wouldn’t be surprised.
98ceb7d3b39e9a4e1f755d1ee95f6f1f.jpg

ecd684a4c3f597c75f19086ff60d923b.jpg

The down side was the wait for the rod which had to be shipped from Spain. Being an impatient sod I couldn’t wait for the rod to arrive, so I called into Angling Direct in Crayford. I was there to pick up a new chair anyway, but couldn’t resist having a look at their spinning rods, I didn’t want to duplicate what I had already ordered so settled on one of their own brand Advanta rods. The model I chose was the; PS Jig and spin in the 8ft 15 - 40 gram range. My first impression was that it seemed nicely made it was in two sections and had a fold away hook keeper ring. This ring was whipped on slightly out of line which in practice isn’t at all detrimental to the rod’s performance, if fact it actually makes it easier to thread the hook through. I’ve had a few fish on it now, four pike up to around seven pounds and perch up to one and a half pounds. The rod dealt with these fish with ease. I paired the rod with a 3000 size Shimano C14 twinpower reel loaded with 20lb braid and 8lb flouro leader. The rod casts well and there was no grating of the braid through the rings. I used it at less than the recommended casting weight, using 5 gram jig head and crayfish lure. Also at the other end of the range I cast a 45 gram Replicant lure without feeling I was badly overloading the rod, though I wouldn’t really go much heavier. I thought the rod performed really well particularly as it cost the bargain basement price of £29.95. It certainly didn’t feel like a thirty quid rod and I would definitely recommend it as a general purpose spinning rod.
02a70ae224a32fd427097461b14376f7.jpg

497a555a20f5355f60ac8b4874751e1d.jpg

I was inspired by Derek Gibson’s epic thread to have a go at jerk bait fishing.

The Tackle Box at Dartford had some Free-Spirit pike rods on sale. I treated myself to the lower weight rated of the two jerk bait rods in the range. I hoped to pair it up with an Abu c3 mag multiplier that I used to use for bass fishing. Disaster, I’ve lost the bloody thing. I have spent two days looking high and low for it and it’s nowhere to be found. Ali Express have Diawa Tatula reels at over 50% off the UK price, I can see an early Christmas present coming my way, all I have to do is convince my missus of my vital need for such a piece of equipment and how it should take precedence over a her desire for a new coat, lol.

I think the first two rods are unbelievably good value for the money and perform very well indeed. The last rod I will report on once it’s had a few fish on the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk