Barrows and trolleys

mikench

Reaction score
Having established practically and scientifically that pulling a trolly is easier and requires less effort and strain than pushing a barrow, I wondered about the 4 wheel camping / gardening fold away trolleys as a suitable alternative. There are loads on the market sold for camping and gardening but few if any marketed as suitable for fishing. Some can carry 100kilos so should cope with most gear you will need on the bank. They have chunky tyres and are all pulled. I can see they would work on nice flat dry grass and pathways but would they be suitable for muddy fields and uneven muddy surfaces?

Does anyone use one or have used one for camping? I can see it could have a dual purpose for fishing and camping. I will post a link.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Having established practically and scientifically that pulling a trolly is easier and requires less effort and strain than pushing a barrow, I wondered about the 4 wheel camping / gardening fold away trolleys as a suitable alternative. There are loads on the market sold for camping and gardening but few if any marketed as suitable for fishing. Some can carry 100kilos so should cope with most gear you will need on the bank. They have chunky tyres and are all pulled. I can see they would work on nice flat dry grass and pathways but would they be suitable for muddy fields and uneven muddy surfaces?

Does anyone use one or have used one for camping? I can see it could have a dual purpose for fishing and camping. I will post a link.

I was considering getting one last summer but didn’t in the end. I ordered it on eBay without realising it came from China and would take about four weeks to come. Luckily they were out of stock of the colour I chose and I got a refund. I bought a conventional trolley in the end as I only really wanted it to take a freezer box when we went to the park with our grandchildren. After all that messing about I saw one for sale in Decathlon that looked okay.

I believe I saw Steve King with one at Boddington. He’s probably the best person to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith M

Reaction score
I have a green one that I use when doing the occasional all nighter after Carp with my son.

It’s very easy for me to pull over muddy ground with its extra wide wheels.

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
That looks just the job Keith and I assume that you can fit a chair, rod pod, holdall and other bits in it with rod bag on top. Does it fold and what make Is it?

Keith M

Reaction score
On its label it says that It’s manufactured in China for

WIDO Limited - NG8 4GP
Product code GCART5A
Max weight load 80KG

I bungee strap my Rod bag and seat on top and everything else goes nicely inside.

To fold it you just slide two of the wheels together and then it collapses/folds in two.

Keith

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
I found it advertised here for £50 as a garden/festival/beach trolley.

1604921616912.jpeg

Keith

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
When I fish Newlands, a few people have something very similar to what Mike and Keith have posted,
I have been tempted to buy one, but having the PI Space Shuttle for taking seatbox and more or less kitchen sink, and the past couple of weeks I have consolidated stuff into small bag , carry a couple of rods and a chair plus landing net, so for me even though the temptation is still there, I know if I get one ,I will be taking more "what if I need it type stuff" when I want to travel light.
The guys at Newlands swear by them, some have got rid of trolley and carp type barrow and use these instead.

rayner

Reaction score
One thing for sure if the trolleys is a designated fishing trolley it will increase the price at an exponential rate.
Manufacturers believe all anglers are now are in the money-wasting bracket the same as carp men are

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I had huge barrow type trollies until I decided to scale down and end up buying a Powawalker trolley . . . never looked back since then.

The only time the large barrow gets an outing now id on the very occasional overnighter carp trip.

mikench

Reaction score
Blimey Mark and you talk about me taking too much. I reckon the 4 wheel pull trolleys into which you put all your gear are the way to go. It’s on my list for Santa. As stated pulling is easier than pushing, there is no assembly and they fold down flat. In addition they can be used for camping, gardening and , if I sell the idea right to Er indoors ,shopping. :rolleyes: :cool:

Reaction score
A bumpy riverbank path will do for your shuttle,one wheelers are about all that cope with that...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Mike once its loaded and balanced, it's no problem pushing it,
Get to my car after fishing, I remove box and holdall, and couple small bags, the shuttle wheels straight into back of Zafira, then holdall down the centre of boot and seatbox on right hand side, small bags back onto shuttle,
Not much good in the Honda Civic I came to yours in, I had to dismantle it completely and take legs off seatbox to fit it in the back.

Reaction score
My Penrose copes with most things other than mud and gates and stiles,and it's comfortable to sit on,for my fat ar$e anyway...

john step

Reaction score
I have a two wheel pulling trolley that never gets used as any hint of uneven ground it tips over.
I have a one wheel barrow by Prestige Carp Porter. Very sturdy and balanced so it takes no effort. It has an under bag for waterproofs etc. It goes everywhere, coarse,carp etc. Couldnt visualise being without it the amount of junk I take.

Mike, whats this scientific stuff about pulling or pushing?

Keith M

Reaction score
All I’ve ever taken down the very narrow track of my local small river is a rod sleeve (or two) on the outside of a small quiver containing one or two rod rests and a landing net; plus a small shoulder bag, and a seat so there’s no reason at all for me to need to take a trolley of any kind let alone take a large Carp trolley down a very narrow bankside path. Although if I was to need a trolley I think I’d choose a one wheeled trolley because of the very narrow path.
I did actually take one of my two wheeled trollies down on the small river once but found it more of a hinderence.

However, when I go after Carp on my estate lake or any other lakes where I may need to take a bit more tackle and fish overnight then the four wheel trolley is fine for me, even when the banks are muddy and slippery and if I manage to slip over my four wheel trolley doesn’t, and its a doddle to pull along (it really is).

I don’t need a one or two wheeled Carp trolley especially as I’m getting on a bit and suffer from knee and hip problems :giggle:
However my smallish four wheel trolley wouldn’t be so good for my son though who’s huge bivie alone wouldn’t even fit on my four wheel trolley anyway let alone his kitchen sink :giggle:

I do have a pair of two wheeled fishing trolleys with pneumatic wheels but only use one of them when fishing a match where I use an upright seat box to sit on for using a Pole or float rod in a comfortable position.

It’s horses for courses really.

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I have a two wheel pulling trolley that never gets used as any hint of uneven ground it tips over.
I have a one wheel barrow by Prestige Carp Porter. Very sturdy and balanced so it takes no effort. It has an under bag for waterproofs etc. It goes everywhere, coarse,carp etc. Couldnt visualise being without it the amount of junk I take.

Mike, whats this scientific stuff about pulling or pushing?
When you push there is one component of force that adds to the weight of the body and hence there is more friction. When you pull the vertical component of force is against the weight of body and hence there is less overall friction. ... Therefore it is easier to Pull than to Push.

Keith M

Reaction score
When you push there is one component of force that adds to the weight of the body and hence there is more friction. When you pull the vertical component of force is against the weight of body and hence there is less overall friction. ... Therefore it is easier to Pull than to Push.

Maybe why they pull their huge weights (cars & lorries etc.) behind them in ‘strong man competitions’ on the TV; because its probably easier than pushing these huge weights in front of them?

All I know is that I find it easier to pull a small loaded up trolley behind me than push it, and if there’s also some lifting involved that must add an extra element however slight it is. But maybe that’s just me. :giggle:

Keith

Last edited: