Barrows and trolleys

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm thinking about when I was working on site as an hod carrier and pushing wheelbarrows full of mortar and bricks, pushing them round building sites etc.
Pulling them wouldn't have worked at all.

If I was to have a fishing barrow, it would have one front wheel and I would push it.
You'll have to pull a trolly with one hand and a four wheeled trolly will without doubt topple over on rough slanted ground.

Keith M

Reaction score
Obviously trying to push a wheel barrow full of heavy mortar and bricks is going to be easier than a pull along truck on the average building site for several reasons, not least the lack of room you have around you (going up planks etc.), plus the rough terrain of a building site where you are often pushing up and down slopes and rubble, but even you must admit that it is tiring work even with a wheelbarrow.

On really rough ground I too would much prefer having just one wheel for all of its advantages.

But pulling only around 30kg to 40kg max behind you on a relatively level and muddy track or path with four very wide wheels is a real doddle unless you come across some really rough and very side slanted ground, especially for an old codger like me who has issues with his knees and hip joints; and there’s no lifting involved either, plus four wide wheels doesn’t seem to get stuck in mud quite as easily as just one wheel either. Plus it’s a lot harder to push one of these 4 wheeled trolleys than pull it :giggle:

I think that both have their uses in different circumstances depending on the terrain your using it in and the amount of tackle you are needing to carry on it.

Keith

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I bought a carp barrow direct from Prestige it came with two front wheels on one axle. I thought it would be great and more stable than a conventional single wheeled barrow. It was useless and tipped over at the slightest provocation. Luckily it had a conversion kit to turn it back into a normal barrow. I don’t know if they still sell the twin wheel model but definitely avoid buying one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Obviously trying to push a wheel barrow full of heavy mortar and bricks is going to be easier on the average building site for several reasons, not least the lack of room you have around you (going up planks etc.), plus the rough terrain of a building site where you are often pushing up and down slopes and rubble, but even you must admit that it was tiring work.

On really rough ground I too would much prefer having just one wheel for all of its advantages, but just moving around 75kg max on a relatively level and possibly muddy track or path with four wheels is a doddle (unless you come across some really rough and very slanted ground), especially for an old codger like me who has issues with his knees and hip joints; and there’s no lifting involved either, plus four wide wheels doesn’t seem to get stuck in mud quite as easily as just one wheel either. :giggle:

Keith

Keith, I wouldn't argue with you, although my findings are that a single wheel is far less likely to fall over on slopes, more manouverable and easier to push than having two wheels at the front, or having four wheels.
Four wheels is way more drag also and even 75kgs (over 165lbs) is a fair old weight to drag through rough grass or soft ground where the wheels will sink in.
As I said, if I was to have a barrow, it would have a single front wheel and be designed to push.

Horses pull carts, but they are not upright and have four legs. If you pull a barrow it's odds on you'll be pulling it with one arm and your body will be twisted, especially when there's any amount of weight in it....

terry m

Reaction score
Ergonomically pushing is far kinder to the body than pulling. Simple body mechanics. The building site wheelbarrow is a perfect example why we don’t pull.

Dragging a full loaded trolley around on rough ground, with your trunk twisting unnaturally is a perfect recipe for lumber strains and sprains, or perhaps worse.

Keith M

Reaction score
Ergonomically pushing is far kinder to the body than pulling. Simple body mechanics. The building site wheelbarrow is a perfect example why we don’t pull.

Dragging a full loaded trolley around on rough ground, with your trunk twisting unnaturally is a perfect recipe for lumber strains and sprains, or perhaps worse.

But Terry I am not pulling heavy weights at all, in fact I could carry all my gear myself if it wasn’t quite so bulky size wise (see photo earlier) and I didn’t have knee and hip problems due to my age, neither am I trying to pull it over very rough or very side sloping ground, plus there is no lifting involved whatsoever, nor any struggling to free a single wheel from deep mud. I am simply pulling a small light barrow which has some very wide wheels along a slightly bumpy and sometimes muddy but relatively level track or path. And I hardly even need to twist my body very much at all when I’m pulling it, Otherwise I too would much prefer a single wheeled push along barrow just like you.

Honestly it's just a doddle using it when you are not trying to carry everything but the kitchen sink and on a relatively level track or pathway whether it's muddy or not due to its smaller size and very wide wheels.

It was designed for using in places like muddy old Glastonbury and places like that without sinking in the mud too much and on soft sandy beaches :giggle:

The 80kg only refers to the maximum weight it can safely carry in normal use.

Keith

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
When you push there is one component of force that adds to the weight of the body and hence there is more friction. When you pull the vertical component of force is against the weight of body and hence there is less overall friction. ... Therefore it is easier to Pull than to Push.
OK got that. However I am so roughy toughy it doesnt matter

mikench

Reaction score
I never thought this thread would create a barrow of worms. ;) Clearly we all have our own preferences . I have watched many anglers walking to and from a water and some carry their gear but most transport it. If I'm only 30 yards or so from the car I will carry mine and make as many trips as necessary. If, as I invariably do, I forget something I go back for it. If I'm 200 yards or so away I try, repeat try , to get it right first time on a " I'll take it just in case" basis. Most of the trolleys i see are of the pull variety and are pulled by someone of the older generation. I assume , rightly that it is easier for them to pull than to push.

I have a barrow kit for my chair which makes perfect sense and which i remain content with for most venues. The 4 wheel trolley would have is uses though and not just for fishing. I might just get one , Just in case.

Thanks to all who have responded. As in all discussions about everything we will never have a concensus be it hooks, trolleys, rods , line, football, B, and many more. I think we can all agree though that water is wet.;):)(y)

Does anyone have a Trakker Gravity Barrow?:rolleyes:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The reason this “ barrow of worms” kicked off,Mike, is because you stated unequivocally that pulling was easier than pushing. However,not everyone has to agree with everything you say....this is not a Republican rally.
Anyway.....trolleys tend to be narrow based hence their tendency to topple. I find a properly loaded one wheeled barrow infinitely easier to push than a top heavy trolley is to pull irrespective of the ergonomics involved My trolley has hardly been out of the shed since I got a barrow

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I never thought this thread would create a barrow of worms. ;) Clearly we all have our own preferences . I have watched many anglers walking to and from a water and some carry their gear but most transport it. If I'm only 30 yards or so from the car I will carry mine and make as many trips as necessary. If, as I invariably do, I forget something I go back for it. If I'm 200 yards or so away I try, repeat try , to get it right first time on a " I'll take it just in case" basis. Most of the trolleys i see are of the pull variety and are pulled by someone of the older generation. I assume , rightly that it is easier for them to pull than to push.

I have a barrow kit for my chair which makes perfect sense and which i remain content with for most venues. The 4 wheel trolley would have is uses though and not just for fishing. I might just get one , Just in case.

Thanks to all who have responded. As in all discussions about everything we will never have a concensus be it hooks, trolleys, rods , line, football, B, and many more. I think we can all agree though that water is wet.;):)(y)

Does anyone have a Trakker Gravity Barrow?:rolleyes:
Worms in barrows ??!!!
I know you take a lot of bait Mike ,
But worms in barrows takes the biscuit ?

rayner

Reaction score
My old Boss box as two wheels under the back corners, pull or push it works both ways. My own preference was to pull.
The only fault with the box now is getting it in and out of the car. It's far too heavy for my wife to manage. Swapped it for a chair.
I know a trolley would be a wheel kit too far.

mikench

Reaction score
My comment, like many,was tongue in cheek. Pulling is easier than pushing-physics pure and simple. Whether anybody agrees or not is immaterial to me. I am not prescriptive and could never be a republican .

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
My old Boss box as two wheels under the back corners, pull or push it works both ways. My own preference was to pull.
The only fault with the box now is getting it in and out of the car. It's far too heavy for my wife to manage. Swapped it for a chair.
I know a trolley would be a wheel kit too far.
I have recently sold one of those,

rayner

Reaction score
Not going to sell my one Mark, I've had it since 87. I suppose if someone was to give me what I paid new I would consider it. That's not likely to ever happen.
I'm typical of my Yorkshire roots there's no way I would sell for less than I paid, I'm far too careful to make rash choices like that.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I only sold mine because I had 3 other seat boxes, my PI inception, an AS1 which I sold recently and a Daiwa which is my grandsons,
I even bought 2 new "BOSS" stickers for it,
Polished the maroon fibreglass base and cleaned wooden drawers up and shined the footplate and side tray and external legs, even did the tires to make them look good.
Looked better than my Inception when I had finished

Reaction score
When you push there is one component of force that adds to the weight of the body and hence there is more friction. When you pull the vertical component of force is against the weight of body and hence there is less overall friction. ... Therefore it is easier to Pull than to Push.

Not in my experience Mike,if you pull a trolley for any distance your arms feel twice as long and I suffer back pain,when pushing its piss easy..m

hague01

Reaction score
Cant add much to the above but recite a true story. Visiting a new fishery 5 years or so ago ( to see a rod in the shop) I passed, in the car park, a guy with a new motorized trolley. It looked the business and the guy told me it was £900 plus. When I walked past him on leaving, he was still staring at the trolley and the open rear door of a VW Golf. " It wont go in" he said to me! Often wondered what he did!

Keith M

Reaction score
I don’t use a
Not in my experience Mike,if you pull a trolley for any distance your arms feel twice as long and I suffer back pain,when pushing its piss easy..m

If I was needing to carry a large load over rough slippery ground then I totally agree with Whitty and the others, and I would be choosing to use a Push me cart over a pull me cart every time, that’s for sure.
I’m definately not convinced about pulling being easier than pushing over rough ground especially when you have any real weight to contend with.

However; pulling a relatively ‘tiny’ 4 wheeled trolley (about a quarter the size and weight of the average loaded Carp barrow) with very wide wheels to cope with the mud, over relatively level ground is also piss easy..m. even for an old codger like me; which is why I bought one for situations like this. (and not wanting to use a hammer to mend a watch. :giggle:)

We’re only talking about a small trolley loaded with a very light but awkward load over virtually level ground not the normal kitchen sink over rough ground scenario.:)

Keith

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
My comment, like many,was tongue in cheek. Pulling is easier than pushing-physics pure and simple. Whether anybody agrees or not is immaterial to me. I am not prescriptive and could never be a republican .

Always happy to agree to disagree, after all this is just an Internet forum, although would be interested to know exactly what law of physics you refer to.

The vision of your tongue in your cheek as you pull made me chuckle.

mikench

Reaction score
Try Newton . Why are most cars front wheel drive? Here’s a little vid . Stability, perceptions , terrain and physical frailties are other factors which play a part.