Beginners rod & reel

Man2wolf

Reaction score
I've already asked this in the Newbie introduce yourself section which wasnt the most suitable but am re-posting to a hopefully wider audience. To cut a long story short I'm returning to fishing after many years now I'm retired (I last fished as a teenager) and am out of touch with modern tackle and techniques. Looking to get back to float fishing on my local canal (The Bridgewater around Warrington) for small perch/roach/rudd. Can you suggest a reasonably priced rod and reel to get me started? Dont want to spend too much but at the same time dont want to outgrow it too quickly. Thanks in advance.
P.S. apologies if my enquiry isnt specific enough and no doubt its been asked before.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
See post 15 on your other thread. Buy a decent rod and reel and you will be set up for any venue( bar large lakes and rivers, and long into the future. Beginners rods and reels don't exist unless you are nine years of age or want cheap Chinese rubbish.

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
Well, when I came back to fishing 3 years ago I was in the same boat. I ended up getting hold of a starter set the Hunter Pro sets on Amazon. Now I know that many here will not see the value of these sets but they do come into their own when all you want to do is start fishing again. The Hunter kits come with a float rod and reel (the reel isn't that bad I still use it) the sets also have a set of wagglers, a catapult, shot, a tackle box and a seat (one of those plastic seats that double up as a store) and you also get a couple of bank sticks. The reel is pre-loaded with a line so that's sorted. In all, you get some throw-away items (the rod may last a year) but you are also given enough stuff to have some fun.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Go to your local, well-stocked, tackle shop and ask the same question. This may not be your most local tackle shop!

Man2wolf

Reaction score
Think that's the way to go. I've read so many reviews and opinions that it's not just the reels that are spinning!