Big Ones Small Ones and All In Between

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
The other thing is, a lot of those videos on drag setting come from America and those guys have like 20lb lines. What they consider a loose drag is nothing like what we consider a good drag. Was speaking to the bailiff the other day, he reckons to keep the drag fairly easy but make adjustments as needed when playing. Sounds like a plan...

Keith M

Reaction score
Was speaking to the bailiff the other day, he reckons to keep the drag fairly easy but make adjustments as needed when playing. Sounds like a plan...

That's exactly how I do it when larger fish can be expected; I often change my clutch setting several times during a long fight depending on where the fish is running, and I loosen the clutch a bit when it's in front of me and ready to be netted, just incase it decides to make a last bid for freedom.

It's become second nature for me and I often do it without even having to think about doing it.

Another thing I occasionally do when a large fish is heading for bankside Cover is actually try pulling towards the cover and the fish will often start to pull in the opposite direction and turn away from the bankside cover. This doesn't always work ; but like I say; it very often does work.

Keith

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
The other thing is, a lot of those videos on drag setting come from America and those guys have like 20lb lines. What they consider a loose drag is nothing like what we consider a good drag. Was speaking to the bailiff the other day, he reckons to keep the drag fairly easy but make adjustments as needed when playing. Sounds like a plan...
Don't forget, the harder you pull, the harder the fish pulls back.
Let the tackle dictate the fight not you.

Reaction score
If you have a slack drag on a barbel you will have a disappearing fish,quickly,some fish just fight hard...

Badgerale

Reaction score
Is there a reason to set the drag to be especially slack?

As long as it is set so it will give line before it breaks then that should be fine, or is there a danger of a sudden run combined with a strike not giving it time to give line?

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
Well everyone I have good news and bad, a silver lining and of course an old problem. So I was fishing yesterday and (you've guessed it) I had a huge bite, the fish bolted to the reeds and bang. SNAPPED! Ok, move on to today. An old boy in his 80s was fishing on the peg next door and came over for a chat as we were talking my rod was pulled sharply to the side, off of the rest and I grabbed it. Whatever I had ahold off did the same thing, straight to the left, over to the reeds and it was so powerful I couldn't even move it. BANG!!! The silver lining is the nicely sized Tench that came next, no bang and after what I have been through lately an easy landing. But still, I really want to know how I can land those big ones that I keep getting, I must be doing something right because I seem to be getting a lot of them but as far as landing them goes it's a recipe for feeling like you have never fished. Instead of pulling on the fish that has gone to the reeds how about giving it a slack line and waiting, could this be the answer... I now have a 10lb line and 9 lb hook length so I cant see that I am underpowered...? One day my friends I am going to get one of those buggers, I am starting to dream of the occasion but it seems far away....

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
I can tell you where the snap occurs. Its is when it bolts to the reeds and I pull in an attempt to move it away from the reeds. The fish kind of digs in and pulls against me if that makes sense. Open water would be easier but I am working against the instinct of the fish...

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
And the snap is always on the hook length, halfway up. So I get my tackle back with a broken hook length. My mainline is not affected, the snap is never further up from the hook length...

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
Jokingly... How about a 20lb line, 18lb hook length and a carp rod.... Surely that would get em in!

nottskev

Reaction score
It would help us imagine what's going on if you draw a diagram showing you, the reeds, your bait and where the fish goes when you hook it.
Draw it, take a pic and post it.
The slack line is not an option. A startled fish will bolt anyway.
Is your line getting snapped on a straight pull before the fish gets in the reeds?
Or when it's got in and you're trying to pull it out?:
Are you placing your bait where you have a good angle to use the rod as a lever, and so that the bend of the rod is absorbing some of the energy?
Are you trying to steer the fish by lifting the rod and pulling the fish upwards (probably wrong) or keeping the rod low and pulling in the opposite direction to the fish (probably right)?
You say you have to grab the rod off a rest. Why is it in a rest? If you're expecting a big fish to pick up your bait and dive into the nearby reeds, which seems to be happening with enviable regularity, why aren't you already holding the rod, watching the tip and the line where it enters the water like a hawk, looking for any early warnings and poised to react?
Have you tried fishing in more open water, where you can get the hang of coping with bigger fish before fishing next to snags?

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
All good points nottdkev. The way to look at it is like this. The fish is too powerful to stop, it bends my rod and a pull will not stop it. Now if the fish had a clear run I would not have a problem it would knacker itself out and I could play it in but on this water, a clear rum is impossible to find, it's shaped like a tyre with reeds around the entire perimeter. Smaller medium smaller and medium fish are fine but the bigger ones for me anyways virtually impossible. I'm going tomorrow so I may just take a pic of the spot so you can see what I mean. Now the tench I had today was not the biggest but big enough, it didn't go for the weeds but bolted straight out, that one was gradually brought in and bagged so what ever it is that's heading for the weeds, and I suspect carp, knows the score lol

Reaction score
This may sound a little alien to you,but here goes,often the method you choose has a bearing on being able to stop a hooked fish,you opt to fish the feeder,now,when a big fish(like a carp)takes on the feeder it normally bolts,resulting in the tip flying round,this fish has got a head of steam before you pick up the rod,if you fished the float,the fish would take the bait more sedately as it carries on feeding and you set the hook,now if you apply real pressure then it would confuse your carp,now I am not talking about a total lock up of drag,but virtually so,ive landed many doubles doing this hooking them in the middle of reed beds,it is no place for the faint hearted though im afraid...

nottskev

Reaction score
Whitty's question is a good one: why use a feeder when you are apparently fishing under your feet? Self-hooked carp do indeed bolt; a float will likely give you a fraction more time to react and will not startle the fish into bolting in the same way. I'm still puzzled why you need to place your bait so close to reeds on a method that gives a big fish a head start. Big fish can be stopped in their tracks, within reason, but that's a game for anglers who've got a fair bit of experience catching big fish, and requires fail-safe gear, vigilance and a clear idea of exactly what to do.

Badgerale

Reaction score
Or if you really want to feeder fish the margins, casting a bit further away from where your sitting (casting sideways along the margin) would at least put more line between rod and fish. The more line out, the more stretch there will be in it.

steve2

Reaction score
Jokingly... How about a 20lb line, 18lb hook length and a carp rod.... Surely that would get em in!
Why use a weaker hook link in the first place. Most of my fishing is done without a weaker hook link and never never stopped me from catching. Weaker hook link is just a built in weak spot in your setup.

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
I hear you all and thank you for your input, one way or the other I'm going to solve this sodden dilemma. You see for me fishing started by catching the small fish (as most do) I then graduated to reasonable sized bream and tench etc and even the odd mirror carp (although I admit that was a lucky catch and the thing was half asleep when I reeled it in any way. Part of me wants to give the peg up and go somewhere else, the other part wants to see in the flesh what the problem is. Now taking all points into consideration here are a couple of other ideas that I gleaned off the net etc because it would seem that this problem is not unique. Totally frustrating but not unique and what's more some have solved the problem and catch the blighters. So here goes. How about manning the gear up? One Carp angler reckons that when he is dealing with weeds and bolting he fishes on no less than a 15 lb line with a 14.5 hook length he claims that beefing everything up gives you the edge. Then I have thought about those reed poles (margin poles) and wonder if that may give me the advantage. By the way, I started fishing a 6 am today so dedication is no obstacle lol. I hope everyone is still with me, please tell me to quit the peg if that is really the answer. When I started fishing again I had no idea it would be the most important thing in my life ever. Obsessed? Juh. Yeah!!!!!!!!!!

nottskev

Reaction score
Send us a pic when you land it! And good for you for taking on all these comments. I should say there is, as always, a bigger picture behind your ongoing battle with the as yet uncontrollable carp. Most of us commenting on here grew up in a pre-commercial world . A world, mostly, of small fish. We caught roach, perch, dace, gudgeon, bleak, ruffe, skimmer bream. Maybe, on better waters, proper bream. Maybe the odd tench. Chub, possibly, if your local river had them. Really keen anglers had holidays in Hampshire or Dorset where barbel lived. We hardly saw a carp. Beginners worked their way up, handling their gear and catching small fish, gradually meeting things that pulled back a bit. We spent years gradually learning how to play these comparatively rare bigger fish.

Someone getting into fishing these days might well pay their £6 ticket for a commercial, and while they are still working out how to do fishing, find that anything from a 2 oz roach through a 5lb tench to an 18lb carp might well be the next thing to pick up their bait. It's part of the rather unreal world of commercials now that a newbie or relatively so, can be hooking the kind of fish that until recently were only encountered by committed and seasoned veterans of the sport. It's not surprising if this poses some "how the hell do I get these things out?" problems. I fished for 30 years, catching millions of fish, before being attached to the kind of double-figure fish that is snapping your line. When I was young, there were brilliant anglers older than me with the highest skills, who never caught 15lb of mixed fish in a day. Bigger catches weren't available .The carp that snapped your line might well have weighed that on its own. So stick with it. We're all waiting.

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
Lol nottskev, thank you for the comments which really did make me think. I actually started fishing when I was about 13. An old boy who had been an angler for years flogged me at a giveaway price a 13 ft fibreglass Abu match rod, reel and a huge bag of sundries. I went out fishing with him a few times and remember his words well, "use a size 16 hook you can catch almost anything on that..." So I fished for a few years on small lakes, and as you said in your post, I was delighted when anything attached itself to the hook. Size just didn't matter, it was a fish. Then three years ago at 46 or so, I started up again, it was like coming home. Again I took to the rivers and again small fish, I was delighted. Then I found the lake, I started on the lake on the float and caught all the little ones and it was great. Then the feeder came into play and everything changed, the bigger ones appeared. A good bream there and decent Tench and finally the monster. In many ways I prefer the standard sizes but because they fill the lakes up with Carp these days you just never know what you are going to get. A fishing mate of mine is a carp nut, so some advice comes from him, and this weekend he wants to go Barbel fishing in Peterborough. I have agreed to go along. God help me! The 15lb line apparently is the minimum for what he catches but it might give me a chance at feeling those bigger fish, how they handle and (who knows) how you land them. But the truth is; give me a medium Tench, a medium Bream and a few skimmers and I am happy.