Big Tench In Lancashire

S

steve claxton

So whats big?..7LB+ would do nicely, the question is where in lancashire would i expect to find such a fish, ideally day ticket but a club would be a possibility...thanks steve

G

Gary Knowles

Steve,

I think thats quite a high target for the North-West. I'd say anything over 5lb was a big fish for this neck of the woods. Obviously it depends which water you are fishing. If your on one of the better known Cheshire mere's then a big fish is around 9lb, but generally speaking I would be happy with a fish of 5lb+ and pretty chuffed with a 7lber.

S

Steve Claxton

Gary.....thanks for the response, ok so 7Lb may be a bit high for this neck of the woods..i used to fish soley for carp, but its getting a bit too commercial for my liking, so Tench+Barbel been the target now...so do you know of a good tench water in lancashire...Pine lodge at clitheroe has been mentioned to me..not too familiar with its potential though.

G

Gary Knowles

Steve,

nice to see another carp angler has 'seen the light'.

Where abouts in Lancashire are you based, let me know and I'll see if I can come up with a tench water in the same locality.

I have never fished pine lodge, and know little about it so I'm unable to give you any info on that particular water.

S

Steve Claxton

Hi Gary.....i live in freckleton near Preston so i hope that rings a few bells on waters you know.......bit out of touch myself, spent the last god knows how many years up at wyreside at forton..never did catch the bigger fish out of wyre lake !!
appreciate youre help.....do you fish for the barbel on the river ribble? a few pointers on youre favourable areas wouldnt go amiss

R

Richard Elwin

Hi Gary

Not sure if it is close enough to you but I can recomend Clifton Marina in Salford, nr Manchester.

Not sure about the 7's but certainly 6's are in here and I personally have had lots of 5's.

Give me a shout if you need directions, tips etc.

p.s its closed at the moment due to f&m

S

Steve Claxton

Richard......isnt that the place where you need to take an AK47 for protection against tackle thiefs..!! never fished it but ill keep an eye on catch reports......whats its big bream potential ? if any.

S

Steve Claxton

Dave share your info...we are all friends on here !! im going to take an educated guess here and say one of the waters is the bigger of the two lodges at chorley ...havnt fished it yet but its certainly on my shortlist, when its open after the closed season......as for the other..mmmm stumped!
over to you

David Preston

Reaction score
Birkace? - good guess! Closed until 16/6, foot & mouth or not, though.

The other's Heapey No.6 - very hard and no day tickets on that one. And shut for f & m at the moment.

If the disease is over, Birkacre should be open as normal on the 16th June, and you can get a day ticket on there.

S

Steve Claxton

Cheers Dave..thought it might be birkacre..now Heapey no6......interesting...ill certainly have a look at that one, heapey no1 been an old stamping ground many moons ago, thanks for the help Dave, appreciated

R

Richard Elwin

Steve

AK47 might be a bit over the top!

Seriously, there have been a couple of incidents here, but not lots like some other waters in the area. Saying this, I would not fish on my own at night.

The Bream potential has been fairly well documented in A.T etc. If you can find them they are good fish often around the 8 mark. I have heard lots of reports of 11's, but have never actually seen them at this size.

What I do know is that they move in very defined shoals. It seems to be either all (perhaps a dozen good fish) or nothing. With nothing there is always the 'consolation' of the Tench.

Hope this helps.
Ric

J

john conway

Steve re Pine Lodge at Clitheroe. When I started fishing again after a considerable lay off, I thought of all the old places I used to fish and wondered if they were still going and what others had now come on line. I came across a good little book on “Where to fish - Lancashire Coarse Fisheries” by Martine Salisbury ISBN; 1-85058-737-X. You can get this book on-line from Amozon.co.uk at about ?6.95.
On Pine Lodge it reads: -
The main lake, which is directly in front of the car park, is over 8 acres in size and has 120 pegs. Found in its depths, which reach 18ft with an average of 5ft, are carp to 22lb, catfish to 26lb, bream to 9lb and tench to 6lb. The carp average into double figures. There are golden tench, golden rudd, golden orfe, barbel, chub and gudgen. The perch go over 4lb and there are loads of roach, rudd and skimmers. The main lake also holds grass carp to 6lb.
It says its open all year round, but I’m not sure if that’s the case now with the F&M epidemic. Anyhow you can contact Richard Harris on 01254 822208

P

p jackson

failing quest for big tench etc,try your hand at BIG bullheads