Blanket Weed

dalesman

Reaction score
The middle of last week arranged for today off, the run up today the river looked low but very fishable, arrived at the sim and found the swim covered in blanket weed instead of the pristine gravel runs, never seen it before.

Reaction score
Long hot sunny days with clear water and less flow and blanket weed appears,it is algae really...

dorsetsteve

Reaction score
The lack of higher plant life, the presence of algae such as such, sadly an indicator of undesirable water quality.

sam vimes

Reaction score
First time in 40 years of fishing the Swale this has happened at least for me

If you've not seen it in 40 years, you must have been fishing well downstream in summer. I don't expect to see anywhere upstream of Langton clear of green snot in summer unless we have a reasonable flood or the fish clean it from the gravel by feeding (fat chance) or spawning.

dalesman

Reaction score
If you've not seen it in 40 years, you must have been fishing well downstream in summer. I don't expect to see anywhere upstream of Langton clear of green snot in summer unless we have a reasonable flood or the fish clean it from the gravel by feeding (fat chance) or spawning.
Langton upstream was covered of it

The bad one

Reaction score
Alan's right it is an algae, known as Filamentous Algae. The type of it is difficult to say without seeing it and getting it under the microscope. The Ribble suffers quite badly from it with 10 days of sun belting down.

seth49

Reaction score
It’s this one on the ribble I’ve been told. Probably everywhere else too.