Bread advice please

Robbie C

Reaction score
Not having much experience of fishing with bread, I have been researching old threads on this forum and have found lots of great information.
So my first step has been to make my own liccy bread. I bought a loaf of cheap white sliced, dried it for 10 days till it was rock hard and then liquidised it with the crusts.It is now a beautiful soft,dry and very fine powder.
So some questions;

1. To me this looks like regular crumb that you use for groundbait.Is there a difference to how it behaves and feed value ?

2.My mix will not bind at all when dry .It seems that some of you liquidise fresh bread , and the resulting mix can bind by hand. If I use my dry mix, shall I add water on the bank to it in the same way I add water to dry crumb or crumb/layers mash?

3. Everyone seems to freeze liquidised bread after making it. I don’t freeze crumb, so should I freeze my liccy bread ? It seems dry enough that it will keep fresh for ages.

I plan on fishing punch for small roach and skimmers in 7-8 feet of water in a week or 2 when it warms up. I will be bottom fishing a gravel pit which is far from prolific but has a fair head of silvers.So some tips on feeding please, for fishing in winter.
I’m on furlough with time on my hands, so I’m happy to experiment with different formulas etc, and I can store the results. I have a dry garage and a freezer.
Thanks gents

mikench

Reaction score
I could well be wrong but I call what you made crumb. To my mind liquidised bread is the freshest sliced loaf you can buy which you then liquidise to make soft springy breadcrumbs. This can be used as GB or in a feeder with punch on the hook or flake or whichever bait you prefer. The crumb I’ve only used as an additive for GB. I use warburtons toastie or Hovis 50/50. I’m sure the fish will be happy with either.

rayner

Reaction score
I buy the cheapest bread for liquidising then leave it a week to dry a little in the bag, it's then I blast it in my food processor. I always cut the crust off. For a finer crumb freeze the liccy then blast it again whilst it's frozen.
I have seen on youtube bread ripped up then dried in the oven then blitzed that made an excellent looking crumb when mixed it sunk quicker.
If fishing deeper water adding gravel helps to get the feed down, I prefer to feed every cast but only fish shallow waters deepest around 5 feet, just don't add too much water to your feed.
Don't discount feeding a pinch of hemp, at times you may feel you've lost the fish that could be they've come up in the water.
You could use a bait dropper to get feed down I think that's how I would approach a deeper swim.
These are just a few of my ideas after you've fished bread you'll find your own way.

Robbie C

Reaction score
I could well be wrong but I call what you made crumb. To my mind liquidised bread is the freshest sliced loaf you can buy which you then liquidise to make soft springy breadcrumbs. This can be used as GB or in a feeder with punch on the hook or flake or whichever bait you prefer. The crumb I’ve only used as an additive for GB. I use warburtons toastie or Hovis 50/50. I’m sure the fish will be happy with either.

I will try making crumb with fresh bread too,and experiment. The beauty is that sliced bread is so cheap. I suppose I can try different combinations of mixing my dry liccy, the fresh liccy,bought brown crumb and liquidised layers mash.
I will be float fishing fairly close in.
Thanks for the brand recommendations.
Crusts on or off ?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I used to buy the cheap supermarket bread to liquidize if doing large amounts, 3 loaves gives around 9 pints of liquidized. Blitz it same day, and put in food bags for freezing. I would blitz it again a few more times when frozen,
When I was using it for fishing I would spray it lightly with an atomizer if I thought it was drying out. Another method is to cover bait tub with a damp cloth. No need to water it down, it should form a small ball when squeezed lightly. At the depth you are fishing i would either use some plain aquarium gravel mixed with it , you wont need a lot, or hemp seed, another way is to squeeze the liquidized a bit harder so it sinks faster without breaking up to much.
You can either "fish out" what you have fed, or top up with small bits of feed each time,
For the hook there is nothing better than a Warbys toastie.
As for crusts on or off, I take them off in winter ,leave them on in summer.
I also blitz the crusts and freeze and blitz a few times as well, use as a change of feed.

Robbie C

Reaction score
I used to buy the cheap supermarket bread to liquidize if doing large amounts, 3 loaves gives around 9 pints of liquidized. Blitz it same day, and put in food bags for freezing. I would blitz it again a few more times when frozen,
When I was using it for fishing I would spray it lightly with an atomizer if I thought it was drying out. Another method is to cover bait tub with a damp cloth. No need to water it down, it should form a small ball when squeezed lightly. At the depth you are fishing i would either use some plain aquarium gravel mixed with it , you wont need a lot, or hemp seed, another way is to squeeze the liquidized a bit harder so it sinks faster without breaking up to much.
You can either "fish out" what you have fed, or top up with small bits of feed each time,
For the hook there is nothing better than a Warbys toastie.
As for crusts on or off, I take them off in winter ,leave them on in summer.
I also blitz the crusts and freeze and blitz a few times as well, use as a change of feed.

Thanks Mark,
I will try your method.It will be interesting to compare the fresh bread with the stale. I presume for the deeper water I can also mix it with molehill soil ?Or a bit of brown crumb ?

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I always use fresh bread and leave the crusts on. This can be a disadvantage if the fish show a preference for the floating bits rather than the sinking ones, but can also be a handy way of keeping the ducks away on a breezy day, when they'll happily follow the bits downwind and out of your swim. It always amazes me how much effort they seem prepared to go to to pick up every last speck - you'd think they'd be expending more energy than they were taking in...

The Sogster

Reaction score
I like to use fresh bread with the crust cut off. The crust makes a good bait when used in conjunction with a punch (leave a thin slice of bread on the inside) and stays on better in my opinion.

rich66

Reaction score
Mine is made from the freshest bread I can get, don’t have to be top brand Sainsbury’s own etc is fine.
Cut off the crusts blend it, riddle it a bit, blend any big bits again. Put it back into the bag it came in. I use warburtons as the hook bait.
I just gently squeeze the likky bread and lob it in. Keep the bag closed up. Freeze what’s left over for another day and so on until it’s gone.
You can add a bit of water if you like, to throw it a bit further etc but it soon goes sloppy and then you’ll have to add some white crumb to bring it back right.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Thanks Mark,
I will try your method.It will be interesting to compare the fresh bread with the stale. I presume for the deeper water I can also mix it with molehill soil ?Or a bit of brown crumb ?
I have never tried soil or brown crumb with it ,so I cant comment, I have used desiccated coconut, the flakes break away when the bread is on the bottom and drift upwards, it can act as an attractant without feeding the fish.The reason I use the cheaper bread for liquidized is that it has a lower fat content, and seems to work better.

RMNDIL

Reaction score
Cheap Tesco etc (plastic bread as I call it), crusts on, blitz the lot and then riddle. Different mesh sizes for different grades of feed. Add gravel if needed due to flow. I also add a little hemp & casters to the feed balls/feeder if I need to. Freeze what I don't use but once thawed it will be drier, more powdery so need an atomiser.