Break away leads

mikench

Reaction score
Are the Gemini ones any better than the standard variety? Which leads are recommended for beach casting from and to pebbles and shingle?

rubio

Reaction score
I use both. Or did when I actually went. Overdue a beach trip. Gemini have a range of nose cones with various grips attached.
In most conditions Breakaway leads are effective in most tides but you may need to change up an ounce or two at peak tide. Think of it as adding an extra ssg when it rains. Breakaway leads have a built in bait clip, and it's my local tackle shop so I would encourage everyone supporting them.

mikench

Reaction score
It will be the Med so no tide to worry about. It will make a pleasant change.

Reaction score
I have a selection of breakaways from the dark ages,the old ones with the beads on the wires,or a red plastic band around them with notches for the wire to clip into,always handy for my rare forays these days...

rubio

Reaction score
No grip needed at all. There are plain leads available of course. I prefer large olivettes. Less obtrusive all round and cast clean and straight. Inline best option for this.
Make sure you twitch that bait. If you are trying worms ask for americanos, rather than coreanos. They're like our white ragworm and boost the chance of dourade about tenfold. And definitely get some fine baiting needles. Those fish can nearly untie knots with their lips. Fantastic challenge,good fighting and as I'm sure you will be aware, superb eating.
I anticipate you'll be able to translate the Spanish to what I guess will be the requisite french. Dourade Royal is I believe our gilthead.

mikench

Reaction score
It is indeed. Dorade or Dourade Royal is the usual name. I'll be happy just to be there .