Cable ties - that you can release!

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
I don't know how long these have been on the market? But they are so useful! (y)

When bundling rods, rests, landing net together I have tried a variety of devices ranging from bits of string to velcro tipped ties. But all had their shortcomings, even the Velcro wore out quite quickly!

But when I finally "discovered" these cable ties in decent lengths I had to buy a packet to try.

The clever bit, just push the little tab in to release......

IMG_20230130_154403.jpg

and the first use when travelling light......

IMG_20230130_153210.jpg

Only negative point I have found is that they are not as strong as the locking version. I did test one to destruction, so not recommended where an appreciable load may be applied.

But a few of these in your tackle bag may be useful. ;)

mikench

Reaction score
I use these all the time for all kinds of jobs. I get them from the bay in various lengths and widths. Cheap as chips.

seth49

Reaction score
Aldi and Lidl do a mixed pack of cable ties every few months, there’s usually some of these in the selection.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Definitely available in the 90's. I seem to remember the one's I used had metal locking/release tabs.

I've used those and a version very similar to the ones pictured. However, they were always a bit hit and miss through the "company" supply chain. I would put money on it that someone twigged that they were rather more useful in a domestic environment than they actually were in the workplace.

@Clive

Reaction score
Steve, next time you are in a garden centre or Action, look out for plant ties. They are short rubberised lengths of a soft metal wire that you can wrap around your rods and then unwrap them over and over again. The thing with these is that you can do a figure of 8 so that the rubberised wire stops the blanks from banging against each other in transit.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Thanks Clive, I have some in the garage. Already used it for just that purpose on occasion. (y)

Having found these reusable cable ties I thought I would explore their uses.

For some rods I have rod slings that do a good job. A few of my rods do not have suitable carriers so there is always a need for a jury-rig as an answer.

This post was just me sharing another possibility for lugging our various tackle bits around. The reusable cable ties are handy hangers for various bits that may need carried on back-packs or rod carriers whilst tramping to our swims.

Looking forward to the end of this cold-snap now. Need a fishing fix after two blanks on a dour looking river Lot!

@Clive

Reaction score
I have just invested in half a dozen tip & butt protectors and four sleeves. A lot of my rods are stored ready rigged with floats or link swivels, hooks, etc. I have used velcro (gets caught on everything), garden wraps (better, but I keep losing them) and proper butt & tip protectors. The latter are the best option and they are cheap enough at pechepromo.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
I have just invested in half a dozen tip & butt protectors and four sleeves. A lot of my rods are stored ready rigged with floats or link swivels, hooks, etc. I have used velcro (gets caught on everything), garden wraps (better, but I keep losing them) and proper butt & tip protectors. The latter are the best option and they are cheap enough at pechepromo.
Like you I am always looking for useful angling bits! I picked up a couple of these in the sales recently.......

1675247184107.jpg

Advertised for shorter 2-piece rods I found them just right for 3-piece 13' and 12'6" rods that are my heavy river choices now. Handy protection when I chuck them in my friends junk-box Freelander!

The big plastic strap clips will hold two of these together when required. The reel "pouch" area is big enough for 6000 and 8000 Shimano OC reels.