Canal advice

clutch

Reaction score
Hello,

I could use some advice regarding canal fishing.

The canal in question is the Shropshire Union at Pendeford. I want to target the roach and bream on the float or tip.

What sort of gear should I be using? Most of my float/feeder rods are too heavy, which I use to target barbel on the Severn. I like the idea of having two setups, waggler and feeder, so I can mix it up. It would be great to have some advice regarding terminal tackle, rigs etc.

Bait, I take it maggots and bread punch are worth a try in the colder weather? Does bait selection change through the season?

Finally, what makes a good peg? The stretch I will be fishing doesn't have any locks and not many obvious features. And once I have a peg, should I be fishing down the middle? Far side?

Would be grateful for any help, if anyone has any other advice.

Thanks

john step

Reaction score
This time of year when the water will be clear is always going to be hard. Soft rod, fine line and small hooks. Centre track will be deeper. Look for any features there must be a few even if rare. Bridges, barges, bends, overhanging far side bush/trees. A town stretch is very good.
You are on the right track with punch but try pinkie instead of maggot.
Never neglect a piece of worm over chopped worm.
As a barbel angler I suspect however you start off thinking you are fishing fine, halve it maybe?? The clue is your reference to feeder rod.
There are not many light rods with suitable light quiver tips about nowadays.

Have a look at this forums features by Dave Coster on waggler fishing for canal tips as well.

mikench

Reaction score
If the float doesn't work and you haven't a light feeder rod, use a light feeder( method or maggot) or straight lead( one ssg shot or 1/4 oz) and stick with your float rod. Either way you'll struggle and freeze.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Try and find a canal wand ,check the auction sites, failing that I think Shakespeare still do a version of the original wand.
As for a float rod check out the Cadence range, google Cadence rods.
I would fish as light as possible, 2.5lbs mainline to 1.5lbs hooklength, 20 hook,
For feeder/bomb rod 3lb mainline to 2.5lb hooklength,hook to suit bait. This time of year a cut down maggot feeder that holds about 4 maggots,or a small bomb,
Float would be smallest you can get away with without thrashing the cast, dot it right down to show bites up.
Liquidized bread frozen and put through a blender and fine sieve a few times if fishing bread punch, a few grains of hemp mixed can be used, another bait is chopped worm and caster, dont be afraid to chop casters up with worms, feed caster and fish a small piece of worm.If youmiss a bite the worm will still be on the hook, if fish caster you will be shelled.A dark groundbait with no feed content is good.

ian g

Reaction score
I would say try lob worms or half a lob worm , I have fished further up around Market Drayton and caught reasonably well , there are decent chub around there and some nice perch . You'll find bream and roach will be on the worms as well.

clutch

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

Some really helpful comments. Gives me a good idea of how light I should go, and how i should feed. From light lure fishing, I know the stretch contains some really decent perch, so I thought worm might be worth a try. I have used some of the Cadence stuff, and I have been really impressed. Not sure about budget...depends if I see something I really like.

What weight tip should I be looking at?

Cheers.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Thanks guys,

Some really helpful comments. Gives me a good idea of how light I should go, and how i should feed. From light lure fishing, I know the stretch contains some really decent perch, so I thought worm might be worth a try. I have used some of the Cadence stuff, and I have been really impressed. Not sure about budget...depends if I see something I really like.

What weight tip should I be looking at?

Cheers.
Forget the float rod for the canal, buy a pole instead, and buy a light feder rod.
Better presentation with the pole, will also handle any bonus fish that may show.

Crystal Bend

Reaction score
These could be good for what you want: