Carp Feeder Rod

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
Ok. So yesterday I was fishing in my usual spot catching my usual fish small and medium small crucian, tench, bream etc when a mate of mine caught a lovely medium big carp. I dashed over to help him unhook and then took a picture for him. It got me thinking. Whilst I had been catching all day my fishing buddy had been hunting all day, waiting for only the best carp he could get and it paid off. He uses an inline feeder, swing tip and whilst it may take time he gets the big ones. Now, I'm going to have a go, the next time I fish I am going to use the inline feeder and take that long approach to a bigger fish. Well, that's the plan anyway :) It's quite likely of course that I will pull in bream and tench and the such like. Now the rod I am using for my smaller fish is a Shakespeare Omni 9ft Feeder that I am aware is a cheaper rod but I have caught stacks of fish on it. Does anyone think that I should be getting a more powerful rod for this Carp plan that I have, or will the Omni do in a pinch? I will be using a 10lb line (slightly higher than what is recommended for the rod) with an 8 lb hook length. I am aware that I have spent a ton on fishing gear this year already, so what are your thoughts. Could this rod handle a medium or large Carp or should I be upgrading? The Drennan Red Range Feeder looks good and Middy seems to produce some tempting feeder rods but if the Omni would do (and those with experience may know this) then I am happy to stick with the old faithful. Cheap yes but functional definately.

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
Ok. So yesterday I was fishing in my usual spot catching my usual fish small and medium small crucian, tench, bream etc when a mate of mine caught a lovely medium big carp. I dashed over to help him unhook and then took a picture for him. It got me thinking. Whilst I had been catching all day my fishing buddy had been hunting all day, waiting for only the best carp he could get and it paid off. He uses an inline feeder, swing tip and whilst it may take time he gets the big ones. Now, I'm going to have a go, the next time I fish I am going to use the inline feeder and take that long approach to a bigger fish. Well, that's the plan anyway :) It's quite likely of course that I will pull in bream and tench and the such like. Now the rod I am using for my smaller fish is a Shakespeare Omni 9ft Feeder that I am aware is a cheaper rod but I have caught stacks of fish on it. Does anyone think that I should be getting a more powerful rod for this Carp plan that I have, or will the Omni do in a pinch? I will be using a 10lb line (slightly higher than what is recommended for the rod) with an 8 lb hook length. I am aware that I have spent a ton on fishing gear this year already, so what are your thoughts. Could this rod handle a medium or large Carp or should I be upgrading? The Drennan Red Range Feeder looks good and Middy seems to produce some tempting feeder rods but if the Omni would do (and those with experience may know this) then I am happy to stick with the old faithful. Cheap yes but functional definately.
Or is there a Shakespeare Rod that would be a suitable upgrade?

mikench

Reaction score
First of all there is absolutely nothing wrong with Shakespeare rods. They are well made and offer incredible value.i have 3 coarse rods and 4 sea rods. I’m sure your Omni will manage to fulfil your plan perfectly adequately. However why restrict ( financial constraints aside) your enjoyment of fishing to just one rod when there are plenty of others to enjoy. A longer feeder rod say 11’ will cast further if required , toss out a heavier feeder and be better able to handle heavier lines and hook lengths and may have a nicer action to your Omni. Shakespeare do a variety of Agility feeders and float rods to expand your tackle and provide variety. A 13’ rod will help with larger fish and in swims with lily pads or weed. There are lots of other makes so look for sales or special offers. Another poster bought an Agility float rod and is pleased with it. An older Mach2 feeder rod can be had on the bay or an Agility feeder. There is a Shakespeare Agility Continental Feeder 12ft 3PC Coarse Fishing Rod 50% off RRP selling for £54 on the bay at the moment. Perfect for you. Good luck

Bluenose

Reaction score
They're budget models and general feeder rods mate. If you're method feeder fishing for carp a dedicated method rod and a step up in price bracket will get you something far superior. I'd have a look on Facebook market place and see what's available in your area second hand, then do a google search for reviews or videos, and/or ask on here.

mikench

Reaction score
I suspect the lad is on a budget hence my recommendation. If money was no object I would get a Sphere/ Siverlite , Hardy Marksman , Preston or Acolyte feeder. He also likes Shakespeare rods and for the money(£54 rather than £300) they are excellent value.

Bluenose

Reaction score
I suspect the lad is on a budget hence my recommendation. If money was no object I would get a Sphere/ Siverlite , Hardy Marksman , Preston or Acolyte feeder. He also likes Shakespeare rods and for the money(£54 rather than £300) they are excellent value.
I'd add Maver method rods to the budget end too, superb vfm.

mikench

Reaction score
I have a Maver Abyss x 11’ feeder with one tip and a Korum 10’ feeder with 2 tips. Both rods are in great condition and I’ve caught double figure carp on them. If the OP wants them he can have them but would have to collect . I’ll throw in a couple of reels too - a Drennan feeder reel and a Shimano Hyperloop. They were the first reels I bought and have hardly been used. They all have line on.

Bluenose

Reaction score
I have a Maver Abyss x 11’ feeder with one tip and a Korum 10’ feeder with 2 tips. Both rods are in great condition and I’ve caught double figure carp on them. If the OP wants them he can have them but would have to collect . I’ll throw in a couple of reels too - a Drennan feeder reel and a Shimano Hyperloop. They were the first reels I bought and have hardly been used. They all have line on.
Amazing gesture.

silvers

Reaction score
Can I ask the OP what a “medium big” carp is in his view ... so we can perhaps tailor the recommendations?

Richox12

Reaction score
Depends what medium and/or large means. Might just be medium and/or large for that particular fishery. And with no snags and plenty of room etc the existing 9ft may well do the job anyway. Hard to say without more info. Paying more for a rod does not mean it will be better suited. You can get the right action & power cheaply and the wrong action and power for over £200. Just depends on the job and tool required.

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great replies and advice. Now the lake that I fish belongs to my club BDAA (it's online) and it is a small lake that is well stocked. Like a lot of small lakes, we have a plague of small silvers but dig beneath the surface and you will find Tench, Bream, Perch, Crucian Carp, Mirror and Common Carp etc. As for the size of Carp one was caught the other weeks at 21 pounds but I think smaller than that is much more the common catch. I was float fishing the other week and caught a mirror carp very close in, no fight needed, just a stroke of luck. And yes mikench has seen the truth about me and Shakespeare, I have both a Shakespear Omni Math and Feeder rod and I have found them to be really excellent. I also have a TF Gear V2 Banshee Float at 13 Foot. This Banshee is a good rod for me, well made and quite usable.
Thank you for the kind offer Mike I've just messaged.

hague01

Reaction score
Just seen greavsie has died. Wow, the best I personally saw play, talked to him several times when we were both on spurs coaches and years later when he became a client of a firm I was with in the 70's. Even as alcoholic then, not only a perfect gentleman but my idol.

hague01

Reaction score
His philosophy is probably why I dislike football these days. He made it look so easy and he always insisted it should be fun.

hague01

Reaction score
Sadly true. On a lighter note rigged the FS for quiver tomorrow. Turned down 175 offer for the other. Good offers too on the vanford but again I rejected.