Catfish

mikench

Reaction score
I don't understand what you mean. :rolleyes: I was referring to putting the catfish on a spit over hot coals. I've eaten catfish in the US but maybe the Wels tastes as horrible as it looks.

Philip

Reaction score
I have occasionally seen it for sale on fishmongers slabs.

It wouldnt surprise me if some "fish Curries" on resto menus across the channel are bulked up with Mr Wels.

Bon appétit !
???

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Livebaiting really is barbaric.

Looks like a lure to me. Fish are barbaric, they eat other fish. Catfish aren’t alone in that and although they have piggy little eyes they are efficient predators and don’t just scavenge for their food. Though how that works on carp lakes that have a surfeit of boilies and pellets thrown in I don’t know. I would presume they would mainly go for the predominant food source.

Matt the guy in France who Peter mentioned, catches loads of huge cats. He livebaits with 3-4lb carp or tench. Which clearly indicates that eating live fish is a major part of their diet. I would feel guilty over using such large baits as they are potentially other people’s sport. I don’t have any qualms on livebaiting in general though. In fact all of my best perch have come to livebaits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Humans are barbaric,we kill everything,fish kill to survive....

mikench

Reaction score
Humans are barbaric,we kill everything,fish kill to survive....
We certainly are when we hook a fish through the flesh to try and catch one of those brutes. God had a bad day at the office when he created Wels.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I think fishing is barbaric and I think most people do. If I hadn't been introduced to it when young I doubt I would have taken it up. I enjoy doing it so it is for purely selfish reasons I do it. I think we create a lot of good as well though, keeps youngsters from being delinquents and gets them out in the fresh air. I think on balance we do a bit for wildlife in general and we are the watchers for pollution. I think it can create other interests as well, photography and science and nature and so on. I don't particularly like live baiting but it is part of fishing and I think most of us try and be as kind as possible when fishing. As to humans being barbaric, it is a choice not an inherent thing we have to do and most choose not be barbaric and I doubt most choose fishing to be barbaric either and not when they choose live baiting as a method, they just want to catch a bigger fish or have the best chance of catching one but it is cruel but any fishing is cruel as well. I don't think I have ever caught a fish that I haven't just felt a little bit sorry for.

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
Markg: your post above is spot-on. Fishing has it's downsides, it's not perfect (what is?) but overall the good vastly outweighs the not so good.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't think fishing is barbaric, if any of you feel so strongly about then why post on a fishing forum?
If everything goes to plan the fish is hooked through it's lips, very rarely ever bleeds and is put back unharmed.
I no longer livebait as putting hooks through somethings body isn't to my personal likeing.

Introducing foreign species which do no end of damage to not only fish but mammales, avian and anphibian creatures is barbaric and criminal, and the selfish anglers who do it and the others that condone it are definately barbaric scrotes.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
bbb
I don't think fishing is barbaric, if any of you feel so strongly about then why post on a fishing forum?
If everything goes to plan the fish is hooked through it's lips, very rarely ever bleeds and is put back unharmed.
I no longer livebait as putting hooks through somethings body isn't to my personal likeing.

Introducing foreign species which do no end of damage to not only fish but mammales, avian and anphibian creatures is barbaric and criminal, and the selfish anglers who do it and the others that condone it are definately barbaric scrotes.
I don't feel strongly about it enough not to fish or talk about it on a forum, in fact I don't feel strongly about it all but I do acknowledge it is cruel, maybe barbaric is the wrong term. Peter is right about what I said above, the good outweighs the bad but even then I don't do it for that, I have no altruistic aims when I fish, it is purely for me and my own enjoyment which outweighs any other consideration. I agree with you about introductions of any sort, I think there is an amount of cruelty involved in that as well

bullet

Reaction score
I think Coarse Fishing in particular is very generous to the fish, after all, we spend most of the time feeding them and not catching them.
Fly fishing much less so, all they get is a mouthful of fluff!

peterjg

Reaction score
If it weren't for us fishermen half the rivers, lakes and canals would be full of litter, full of shopping trolleys and even more polluted than they are now! It's no use relying on the EA - they are useless.

Reaction score
We certainly are when we hook a fish through the flesh to try and catch one of those brutes. God had a bad day at the office when he created Wels.

But pike are worse,you don't get cats ambushing fish you are playing,well I never have,they are just a fish Mike,not satan reincarnated...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
But pike are worse,you don't get cats ambushing fish you are playing,well I never have,they are just a fish Mike,not satan reincarnated...

A good friend of mine was about to land a carp of which ue said was probably about 30lb's when a cat latchwd onto it and swam off with it. He was using a set of daiwa infinity slim carp rods he'd just got off me. Anyhow, the rod snapped!

Pime are a indigenous species and should be there. Pike eat the sickly and weak fish and help to keep waters healthy.