Chub fishing in ireland

little oik

Reaction score
I dont know if any of you are aware of this but Chub were introduced into Ireland about a decade ago.I dont agree with how it was some but that is a different story altogether.
I have tried to catch one but to no avail. I know they are in the water that I am fishing as they have been caught .However the captures are at the moment very few and far between and possibly more by luck then judgement (no offence given I hope) I have tried all the "chubby areas " but to no avail (used to go stalking for them on the River Mole in Surrey) .Maggots and casters are just snaffled up by roach and small hybrids ,and have tried bread flake as well .
I had about 5 or 6 sessions for them last year and about the same the year before but confidence has taken a big hit and am not sure what to do carry on as I am or wait a few years till they colonize more in numbers
Any thoughts

rudd enthusiast

Reaction score
If you are fairly sure they are about in the swims you are trying then some selective chub baits will be the ones to try. At this time of year some danish blue cheese paste with garlic and crab has got to be worth a try. (Darren Goulders recipe.)

Come the summer big black slugs or cabbage white caterpillers. (The light green unhairy ones) are hard to beat.

Good luck :)

P.S. The caterpillers may not be totally selective as everything esp Perch love them but chub will home in on them with unerring fury!

Last edited:
Reaction score
A bit leftfield... but have you tried boilies say 10-14mm.

Dynamite's Spicy Shrimp and Prawn or Nash Shellfish Sense Appeal are good.

Should be big enough to fox the hybrids etc. You may get a lot less bites but maybe more chub?

PS. Mount the boilie close (2-5mm) to the bend of the hook.

There is a good article from FM recently on boilies and chub...

HERE IT IS

In my opinion boilies will never be a first choice for chub but used thoughtfully with appropriate tackle they may solve your dilemma.

Last edited:

little oik

Reaction score
I will give those all a go perhaps later in the year when I take a break from the tench.
The fish were put in about 25 miles away( as the river flows) and have heard that the odd one has been caught upstream of where I have tried for them.All I can do is I suppose is put time in on the bank, and keep on fishing the "chubby swims" in the hope that that they like the real estate that I fishing eventually find a resident.
It would as a comparison be like fishing the Thames or the Severn chasing half a dozen fish or so it seems.
Onwards and upwards as they say

A

alan whittington

A lump of smelly cheesepaste,might'nt go amiss either.

chav professor

Reaction score
I'd go for the ol' traditional baits like bread mash feed and flake on the hook and cheese paste. Bollies have there place on rivers where they are seen as a regular food source - but water craft, presentation and carefull stalking and arriving at each swim undetected has a bigger impact on Chub fishing than any bait. Chub will practically eat anything - even with great confidence - if they don't know your there.......

kevin o connor

Reaction score
Oik,Oik, Oik, don't tell me you believe all those fairy tales about chub in Ireland. Every body knows that any chub that were in our waters were destroyed by the Fisheries Board. (or were they?).:rolleyes:

little oik

Reaction score
They tried to eradicate them true ,however in their wise wisdom they didnt start to electrofish the inny until a year later and guess what whilst the roach had started to spawn.
After this debacle they decided that the best way forward was to say that they were not trying to get rid of them ,but only to find out the health and numbers of the said species and to see how far they had colonized.
I have seen pics of them caught ,a number of about 2 lbs caught in 07and 08 around Ballymahon ,a couple caught around Roosky in 09 and a 4lb in Athlone last year.So they are slowly moving and colonizing the Shannon system
I have also seen what I am 99% sure were chub swimming in a small shoal of 4 fish at a bridge near where I live .

Chevin

Reaction score
So they are slowly moving and colonizing the Shannon system
I have also seen what I am 99% sure were chub swimming in a small shoal of 4 fish at a bridge near where I live .

Chub will love the Shannon, I looked at so many stretches of it in the 1960s and wished there were chub in the river. Obviously illegal stocking is illegal, but I have to wonder whether chub in the Shannon would be a bad thing. Personally I would think that once they are well established they will probably attract more visiting anglers. I know that I would love to fish the Shannon if there were big chub in it!

little oik

Reaction score
Its a debate that will run and run .I dont agree with the way they were stocked .They could have brought in numerous horrors in with them etc.However my opinion is that they will eventually find a niche and actually do the Shannon a favour .Pike stocks are not as big as they once were due to the stupid idea of allowing Anglers the right to take fish up to a certain size,I know everybody will say small jacks are no probs but it is a grey area that needs urgent changing .
The chub being the garbage disposal unit of the waterways will in my view only help the fish stocks by weeding out the small fry.The only thing that I can see being an issue is that we still have native crayfish.
The secrecy surrounding chub catches (because the fishing governing bodies want them out) means that people are afraid to comment on catches so finding info on them is a bit differcult however word is that it is changing .As far as I am aware they went in at a little river called the Inny (which is a tributary of the Shannon and have so far been caught in the Shannon as far up as Jamestown(near Carrick on Shannon) and as far down as Athlone so they are in there just a small matter of finding them
Reports by the fisheries board state that they have caught some in breeding condition which means that in a few years time You might be able to actively go and target the chub and to catch them.Good news for us non pike anglers in the Winter months

Pentagram

Reaction score
Hi guys new here, found this article while trying to research chub fishing on the inny.
Any updated information would be greatly appreciated as chub is my newest target species I wish to cross off my list.