Cliff Hatton RIP

G

Geoff Maynard

March 15th. The Close Season has arrived, in more ways than one for me…
Former Fishing Magic editor Cliff Hatton “has made his last cast”. This is how his brother Barry told me of Cliff’s demise late this morning. Cliff had been unwell since Christmas and was taken into hospital two weeks ago. Despite excellent care from the NHS, he developed pneumonia on top of the multiple health issues already diagnosed and it was the final straw that pushed him over the edge.

I first met Cliff when he was still in short trousers and I only just in long ones. We were fishing on the local pond and we argued, as kids do. We were still arguing nearly sixty years later! It’s what we did. We also fished together a lot – caught some monster fish in each other’s company… and became close friends. I taught him a lot. Or as he would have it, he taught me a lot..!
?

As well as editing FM for several years, Cliff was an exceptional cartoonist and angling writer. He wrote and contributed to several angling books and to many periodic angling publications including the prestigious Waterlog magazine. His excellent political cartoons were for a while a regular feature in Private Eye magazine.

Often cantankerous and sometimes pedantic, he was a master at debate, infuriating and delighting in turn with a swift acerbic wit and a vast general knowledge. A crap snooker player, he was my perfect opponent – we were well matched. Online fishing forums were his happy hunting ground; he was outrageous, controversial, charming, sometimes rude – but always erudite. A clever man, with skills rather wasted as a keyboard warrior I thought but always good fun to spend time with on the riverbank.

A decade ago I moved from the London suburbs to the Wye valley. Cliff took this as a personal challenge and followed me a month later, determined to one day catch a 30lb Wye pike. Not being in a rush, we started on the barbel and chub then were waylaid by the sight of silver tourists leaping our rodtops. We were both innocents at Wye game fishing though determined to catch a rare Wye salmon in the ‘proper’ way, on a fly. We had to learn many new skills before getting our first fish. Cliff took to it like a duck to water and fell in love with the river.

He got his salmon okay but the 30lb pike eluded him, though he came close a few times. A 30lber is probably a bloody politically correct fish as he might say…

I’m going to miss him. And Cliff – I’ll see you on the bank later.
Geoff

The post Cliff Hatton RIP first appeared on FishingMagic Magazine.

Continue reading...

Kirsty Hewitt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is really sad news, RIP Cliff. While we did not always agree on everything, Cliff was a good man and he made a great contribution to Fishing Magic over the years.

Thanks to Geoff for this great tribute.

Keith M

Reaction score
I’m very sad and surprised at this news, Cliff and his humour will be sorely missed.

Back in August 20I8 soon after he had moved to Hay on Wye, Powys, I asked Cliff to sign a couple of his books for me (All Beer & Boilees and all Wind & Water) and he invited me to spend a day on the Wye with him and he could then sign his books for me at the same time; unfortunately I couldn’t go back then; but now I really wish that I had gone and met him.

NB: He very kindly signed his books for me via snail mail instead.

RIP Cliff

Keith

Last edited:

lambert1

Reaction score
I still have one of his cartoons on an envelope when he sent me an FM cap. I did not know him personally, but read his articles and opinions with interest. He will be sorely missed. RIP Cliff.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I visited him in hospital yesterday, posing as a family member. He was on some serious morphine and drifting in and out of the real world but we got some conversation in.
“C’mon Cliff, snap out of it - it could have been worse”
“How?” sez he, “ How could it possibly be worse?”
“It might have been me!”
I got a laugh out of him.

Kirsty Hewitt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I still have one of his cartoons on an envelope when he sent me an FM cap. I did not know him personally, but read his articles and opinions with interest. He will be sorely missed. RIP Cliff.

We sold his 'All Fluff' book through Thomas Turner and he would often do a little extra cartoon on the packaging when he sent one out. A nice thoughtful touch and made a lot of people happy!

john step

Reaction score
Sad news indeed. I have a couple of his cartoon books. They are very amusing and get to the point in the way only cartoons can.
A good old Essex boy.

Aknib

Reaction score
Very saddened to hear of Cliff's passing, as has already been said he was a good man.

R.I.P. Cliff.

Reaction score
So,so sorry to hear this terrible news,rest in peace Cliff.

He messaged me a few times shortly before he stopped posting on site,had a very informative conversation on his feelings on a certain thread at that time.....So sad....

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
My sincere condolences to Cliff's family and friends, we had our differences but he did still have my respect.

Skoda

Reaction score
Shocked, RIP Cliff, he'll be sadly missed.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It was Cliff who talked me into writing a couple of articles for FM, twisted my arm more like it, I thought they were rubbish but he published them anyway with a lot editing by him. He was very helpful and a nice bloke and very sad to hear he has gone.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about Cliff, Geoff. I was wondering why I hadn't seen him correcting some other keyboard warrior's bad grammar on Facebook of late. At heart, he was a decent bloke although I didn't always agree with some of his posts, but we often exchanged a pleasant email now and then. I enjoyed his sense of humour and he did send me a couple of his books, which I still have. A generous man with his knowledge and ability to write well. He will be sadly missed.