Drennan Acolyte 13ft Ultra

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yep...the Carbonactives do [or did] come like that. I've got one. More like a zippy up pouch/wallet than a sleeve but the right sort of thing and I'd happily ditch humpity for one of these if they are still available. Somehow I doubt it knowing my luck. :eek:mg:

It might be worth you contacting prestons (or ask a shop to order for you) and ask if they have any available, i'd imagine they have loads of 'em.
If I remember rightly they where tough material, waterproof and very well made.

trotter2

Reaction score
I have been reading this with interest as its a recurring thread.
Like others I have tried various products to solve the problems of lightweight protective rod transporting.
I don't think there is a solid solution to this problem its always a compromise in some shape or form
For years I have travelled as light of possable with one rod to cover most methods of fishing, rod bound with simple elastic bands I have never broken one this way.
If some one finds a solution get it patented Lol
You may make your fortune.

Bluenose

Reaction score
Really good thread this and of particular interest in two areas to me personally.

Firstly I went to Dave's of Middlewich last week wanting a new 15ft shiny thing to use with my pin, sadly they only had the Acoloyte plus, and I wanted a comparison with the Ultra, so I didn't end up buying one.

Most of my trotting is done on the Upper Weaver with average sized chub in mind, with the odd trip to the Severn or Dove when there is the chance of a better fish, so I didn't feel the need for the Plus model but I'd be interested to know how fellas have got on with the plus when using it, specifically when using low-ish diameter 0.10-0.12 hooklengths etc and for smaller fish? Those of you who have both? Which do you prefer? Which is the most versatile?

Regarding the quiver/tube/pouch debate, I like a rod made up, most of my sessions are short, so it saves me 15-20 minutes each session. This isn't an issue when only taking one rod, but it is when when I want to take a selection. I do not like carrying them in pouches, as the pouches either need carrying (in the landing net good idea, but not for the stiff Greys pouches) or they flop around everywhere when empty. However I have had eyes and tips break on unprotected rods, so I came up with an idea for a solution that I've not tried as yet for when I want to take more than one rod, but have them protected.

My thoughts were to put the whole made up rod in the pouch, and fit that inside a match style rod holdall with a full length zip. Bulky, yes. Extra weight, yes. But the whole thing is wrapped up in one unit, with more space to add the odd extra rods, brolly etc but without extra pressure being exterted against rod rings and the likes when everything is tightly bound in a quiver? I think am having a quiver over my shoulder anyway, will a few Kg make much of a difference? Same with the bulk?

Finding a 'lighter' holdall of the right size is a bit of an issue, the likes of Preston and Drennan weigh a fair bit, the material is heavy duty and hard wearing but feels a bit too heavy. Shaky do a contintental version but I've not seen one and would like to know if it could take 2 or 3 made up pouches comfortably?

Shakespeare Agility Continental Rod Holdall | TackleSaver

I'd appreciate your thoughts?

trotter2

Reaction score
Like I have said before in my own view the plus is a far more versatile rod.
A lot of the match lads that fish the river use then for every thing from dace to chub.
I would go for the plus every time .
There is not a massive difference its only very slightly more powerfull than the ultra.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
I have seen some rods that come in a cloth bag and inside a padded sleeve (with no bump for a reel) I think the rods i've seen are preston rods, maybe the carbon active rods? If I remember rightly they didn't have a handle or strap of any kind on them though. It might be worth you checking it out and possibly get one of the sleeves in right length to accommodate your rod.

---------- Post added at 13:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:09 ----------

Yeah TM I get all that as I very rarely take anything other than the rod and reel made up and held together with bands. I do have the cloth bag and tube in the car for when i've finished fishing. I really do prefer to take as little as possible with m e when I go trotting because same as you I spend a lot of the time walking between swims and can cover quite a lot of ground.
If I was using public transport as you do I think i'd take a tube that snugly fitted my rod inside it and hide the tube at the venue but if your confident with your routine then your laugh-in as you are ;).

Yea Ian the more I think about it I might well use a tube meself and like you rightly say just simply stash the tube up somewhere in the bushes etc :thumbs:

Incidentally mate I only use normal trains now around Kent or anywhere else but not going towards or through London, I never use the underground or buses eaither for obvious reasons with any fishing gear no matter how light ( being a complete nightmare) :D

Last edited:

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Thought I'd raise this thread again as I'm looking at float rods.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Thought I'd raise this thread again as I'm looking at float rods.

Is it safe to assume that want fresh recommendations that don't include Acolytes? It might be worth listing the rods you've had and disliked/got rid of. I'd also suggest that the type of venues, depths, distances, methods and average fish sizes might be good things to mention.

Andy Pet

Reaction score
I've had an ultra and loved it but did sell it on. Admittedly it did bend like a banana with a decent fish on. I've had a fishing drought for the last 3 years and am ready to get back into it. My time on the bank will be limited so I need a simple set up without having to carry half a tackle shop with me. I own an 11ft Acolyte Carp Waggler but wondered if also owning a 13ft rod would give me advantages over the 11ft or whether the 2 would compliment each other. I'll be limited to commercials for my fishing using mainly corn, maggots and meat.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Are you having to fish at greater ranges or depths than the 11'er can cope with? If not, then there's probably little need for a longer rod. If you just want a lighter actioned rod, then the 11' Acolyte Ultra might be worth looking at.

Reaction score
Must be honest,after looking from the downside of Acolytes,I bought a 13ft Ultra in late February,I had a lot of good fish on it and find it a great rod...

Andy Pet

Reaction score
I'm pretty much only fishing in the margins or a few rod lengths out. I'll stick with the 11ft and see how it goes. Didn't know they did an 11ft Ultra :unsure:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm pretty much only fishing in the margins or a few rod lengths out. I'll stick with the 11ft and see how it goes. Didn't know they did an 11ft Ultra :unsure:

Arn't you targetting carp Andy?
If you are i'd stick with the carp waggler, maybe get the 12 footer. I have the twelve, got it after you had the 11 footer back. I got it because it has a slightly higher line rating than the 11 footer.

mikench

Reaction score
I can't believe how nice the Acolyte Plus is to use from small roach, gudgeon and skimmers to chub and carp. A pleasure to use and to cast with.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The Plus is a nice rod but I found it a bit fiercer than some people suggest....hence the “plus” I guess. I don’t own an Ultra...it being too similar to my Matchpro imo. I use both depending on what I’m after...the MP being my go to “roach” rod and the plus being more suited (imo) to say chub.
What I would say is that I found the actions to vary quite noticeably depending on the rod length so it pays to waggle as many as you can in different lengths until you find the one that suits you best. I went out to get a 14’ Plus but it was an entirely different animal to the 13’ version....but then I tend not to like anything over 13’ anyway. All my float rods are either 12 or 13 footers and I feel no need for anything shorter or longer. I do have an 11-6 Marksman but that only gets used for Stillwater margin work.
The BF has 14 and 15 footers that he loves but he has the build and wrists of a silverback whereas I don’t.

rob48

Reaction score
What I would say is that I found the actions to vary quite noticeably depending on the rod length so it pays to waggle as many as you can in different lengths until you find the one that suits you best.

I would concur with this advice. I handled some of the rods in the shop and was struck by the lightness of the Ultra and reasoned that as it was so light the 14' as opposed to my usual 13' would suffice. I think this is where I went wrong. While the lack of weight is indisputable, once on the bank the rod failed to function as required in the physical process of float fishing. The middle section is way too soft for me, useless for hitting stick bites or picking a length of line up on the waggler.
I'm not averse to longer rods, having since acquired both the Browning spliced-tips up to 15.6 and a 15' Cadence, all of which perform as expected.
I could have tried different length Acolytes but my experience rather put me off.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Does anyone take the reel they will be using on rods they have a waggle of in the shops, ?
Without a reel on the rods may feel light ,good action, put a reel on to determine lightness and balance and you will get a better picture.
Most shops will allow customers to put a reel on the rods.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I would concur with this advice. I handled some of the rods in the shop and was struck by the lightness of the Ultra and reasoned that as it was so light the 14' as opposed to my usual 13' would suffice. I think this is where I went wrong. While the lack of weight is indisputable, once on the bank the rod failed to function as required in the physical process of float fishing. The middle section is way too soft for me, useless for hitting stick bites or picking a length of line up on the waggler.
I'm not averse to longer rods, having since acquired both the Browning spliced-tips up to 15.6 and a 15' Cadence, all of which perform as expected.
I could have tried different length Acolytes but my experience rather put me off.
When the Ultra came out my local tackle dealer showed me one bed to lack that vital 'crispness'. A couple of years ago I watched an angler I know well catch a 3oz roach on this rod with it bent double. He then hooked a 5lb carp and the rod had little effect on it. Sorry, but definitely not the rod for me.

steve2

Reaction score
Going back to the padded sleeve I have 2 padded sprit level sleeves these are around 6ft with shoulder straps. My builder mate didn't want them but I use them to store 2 piece 12ft rods. I don't know if these available at builder merchants.

chevin4

Reaction score
I was given a 15ft Ultra but I found it far too light I guess if you were in a match fishing situation for small roach and dace it would be ideal. I sold it on and purchased the 15ft plus to be fair I have not used it yet but there seems quite a bit more powerful than the Ultra.