Drennan Acolyte PLUS 15 spare tips

Molehill

Reaction score
Right, I've broken the tip of my ultra. Question is where to get a replacement, has anyone managed to order direct from Drennan and have a contact email address? Only ask because my closest shop is 75 miles away, where I bought it.
How did I break it?? Hooked a b***** salmon on Severn yesterday (aprox 10-12lb), 3lb line and single red maggot, played it to a standstill with rod performing beautifully but then had to try and tail it by hand - didn't work with the 15ft Acolyte!

nottskev

Reaction score
I didn't know they came with 15 spare tips. But clearly some people get through them.

mikench

Reaction score
I doubt anybody would associate an Ultra with a 12lb salmon. I would give you a new one for free if I were Drennan for the publicity.

Molehill

Reaction score
I have to say that rod has had some stick and abuse over the years, taken it all. This was a step too far as I pushing the rod way back over my shoulder at a horrible angle to try and get a hand on the fish to tail it, it was about 4th try so I was pushing a bit further each time. A step to far!
I only had a little 14inch trout river net, which was the reason.

chevin4

Reaction score
Right, I've broken the tip of my ultra. Question is where to get a replacement, has anyone managed to order direct from Drennan and have a contact email address? Only ask because my closest shop is 75 miles away, where I bought it.
How did I break it?? Hooked a b***** salmon on Severn yesterday (aprox 10-12lb), 3lb line and single red maggot, played it to a standstill with rod performing beautifully but then had to try and tail it by hand - didn't work with the 15ft Acolyte!
I rang Drennan direct some years ago after breaking the tip off a 15ft Floatmaster they were very helpful I dont have their number to hand but I believe Drennan International are based in Oxford maybe they will offer to sell you a replacement tip direct.

Molehill

Reaction score
Unfortunately they have no contact details on their website (that I can see) and going on to their FB page I can only send a message if I have a FB account - which I am not setting up just for them. Looks like I shall have to go through the shop and accept the 130 mile round trip to my nearest Drennan stockist!
Many companies should realise that not 100% of people do social media, have smart phones or even a mobile phone signal where they live etc. Just a personal grump of mine.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Unfortunately they have no contact details on their website (that I can see) and going on to their FB page I can only send a message if I have a FB account - which I am not setting up just for them. Looks like I shall have to go through the shop and accept the 130 mile round trip to my nearest Drennan stockist!
Many companies should realise that not 100% of people do social media, have smart phones or even a mobile phone signal where they live etc. Just a personal grump of mine.
whether the customer likes it or not, Drennan actively discourages people from attempting to deal with them directly. They want you to use their dealership network. Even if you did have a social media account or two, any response from Drennan is likely to start with "contact your local Drennan Stockist".

On the plus side, as you simply want to buy a replacement tip, you can use any supplier you like. You aren't restricted to the shop you originally bought the rod from. If you wish to avoid the journey, you could buy from Billy Clarke's/Fishingspares and have the section mailed to you. A phone call might be necessary.

M1bcb

Reaction score
I have previously contacted Drennan over a similar issue for an older rod on info@drennan.co.uk and also:

Drennan International Limited

Tel 01865 748989

Molehill

Reaction score
Many thanks all, have sent an email and take it from there. I'll mend the tip section anyway and keep it as a spare or use it if there is a delay.

Molehill

Reaction score
Heard back from Drennan (prompt reply) and they don't deal direct, so I will go through a dealer. Also found I had b******d up the fd3000 reel, a lot of grinding coming from inside, I fear the total immersion and not drying it out may have led to a touch of rust somewhere in the workings or bearings. Out with the screwdrivers and have a poke when I have time!

Molehill

Reaction score
Tip on order through tackle shop, though the reel has gone in the dustbin - a bit too much rust inside when I had it stripped down - Cadence CS10 arrived in post (accompanied by 13ft No1 float rod, so reel half price ?, see how they go.