Drennan Acolyte PLUS 15 spare tips

Philip

Reaction score
I wonder if Drennan brought out the 17 footer hoping if they stuck on an extra 2 feet less people would complain when a bit snapped off ? :)

Aknib

Reaction score
There must be similar, if not greater, numbers of Daiwa and Shakespeare rods in use, not to mention Prestons, Mavers and all the rest. Yet there's no reports over a number of years of multiple breakages of a particular model of theirs (that I'm aware of). The conjecture and supposition applied to justify the alleged multipiclation/exaggeration of numbers of acolyte breakages could just as easily apply to any other rod, yet it hasn't. That's a statistical abberation in probability theory if nothing else.

I'm sure you already know but they're just theories based on assumptions Rob.

We've had all sorts of diversions now, the Hardy route, the everyone else isn't as clever as me route, the spurious poster route...

It's almost descending to trolling and I've had enough!

There's only so much one can take in the face of such overwhelming information to the contrary, I'm off to bed but I'm sure it will all be here still tomorrow :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Can you back up any of that theory with fact Chris?

Only as much as you can. Feel free to discern the different forum names of various posters on various forums. I don't know for sure, but you may even find that some of them have posted on this very thread. I know that there are posters on FM that post elsewhere under different names. In some instances in the past, I have taken the time to tie in some names and discern some half truths (too much time on my hands). However, I don't keep a little black book, I haven't got that much time on my hands. It's certainly quite easy to discount lots of "I've heard" and "my mate" posts. Do that alone and a good proportion of the chatter simply vanishes into the ether. Some of it may be perfectly true, but it isn't first hand and doesn't help build an accurate picture.

The only facts being dealt in on any of these threads is that some rods have broken. You can't discern exactly how many. I can state it as a fact that I have six Acolytes and not one has been broken. I know others personally in a similar boat and I know one on the other side of the breakage fence too. They count for nothing as some of them post on here and elsewhere. I've certainly heard lots of chatter on forums, on the banks and in shops, but I'm afraid that personal experience makes me discount an awful lot of it. I don't doubt that there's a kernel of truth in all of that chatter. However, the main difference between our standpoints is that you have zero personal ownership experience of an Acolyte and you choose to accept every whisper you see or hear, regardless of the source and circumstance. The closest you can get to facts are Drennan's Acolyte sales figures and return rates, but that's never likely to happen. It won't happen for any other brand either. The best you'll manage in this regard is rough estimates from your local Drennan stockist.

You keep trying to suggest that I deny any breakages have happened, I don't. You've implied that I'm calling everyone with a breakage a liar, I'm not. I'm just not overly keen on gossip that can damage anyone's, or anything's, reputation unnecessarily. Whilst there's plenty of valid comment from people with genuine issues, there's a hell of a lot of equally damaging gossip from otherwise uninvolved bystanders. I'd love it if these threads only attracted comment from people that have actually experienced a breakage of their own rod. I'd be delighted to never feel the need to counter some of the comment that I feel is distinctly unfair.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm sure you already know but they're just theories based on assumptions Rob.

We've had all sorts of diversions now, the Hardy route, the everyone else isn't as clever as me route, the spurious poster route...

It's almost descending to trolling and I've had enough!

There's only so much one can take in the face of such overwhelming information to the contrary, I'm off to bed but I'm sure it will all be here still tomorrow :)

Hang on a minuite Ste, I really have had a hardy avon rod snap off, and for no apparant reason, so i'm far from trolling.
My other hardy rods have all been fine, the ones i've used, as do have a few unused ones. The unused ones have all been tested for flaws by lifting weights when first aquired.
I haven't had any accy rods break, and I have six which have all been used extensively and have catch decent sized hard fighting fish for a number of years now.

Regarding the op of this thread, he stated he is an international buyer and so who knows how his rod was treated in transit? There is every chance the rod was thrown around and may well have suffered damaged in transit.

I realy don't see how you can form an opinion on a range of rods having never even owned or used one?
Why would you prefer to believe faceless posters who you don't know before you would take any notice of people like Chris who you know and have met?

At the end of the day why are you even botherd, even if all accy rods are faulty as fck, if you have no intentions of buying one it shouldn't matter to you surely?
It's as though you have a personal vendetta against drenna acolyte rods for some reason?

liphook

Reaction score
Get yourselves another hobby horse as you've flogged this one to beyond the grave gents. I know from the majority the of input shown that there's very little understanding of the tackle trade nevermind the processes of mass producing lightweight carbon blanks off multiple mandrels. Drennan are a great company, but like so many (including PF and their shadow incarnate of the once mighty Hardy brand) are at the mercy of outsourcing and all the issues (including QC) that come with it. Grow up and move on. You really are going nowhere apart from in circles of chest beating ego tripping. As for the mention of lacquer/clear coat adding much weight i bet my house on the fact that the poster has never sprayed/brushed/mopped a single blank never mind scraped one back to weigh the actual amount applied!?!? A little knowledge really is a dangerous thing when it comes to creating 'facts' on a forum. Get real boys. You don't know so stop pretending ffs

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Get yourselves another hobby horse as you've flogged this one to beyond the grave gents. I know from the majority the of input shown that there's very little understanding of the tackle trade nevermind the processes of mass producing lightweight carbon blanks off multiple mandrels. Drennan are a great company, but like so many (including PF and their shadow incarnate of the once mighty Hardy brand) are at the mercy of outsourcing and all the issues (including QC) that come with it. Grow up and move on. You really are going nowhere apart from in circles of chest beating ego tripping. As for the mention of lacquer/clear coat adding much weight i bet my house on the fact that the poster has never sprayed/brushed/mopped a single blank never mind scraped one back to weigh the actual amount applied!?!? A little knowledge really is a dangerous thing when it comes to creating 'facts' on a forum. Get real boys. You don't know so stop pretending ffs

Gd, your boring pal ?.

trotter2

Reaction score
I won't deny there was more than a few breaks at the beginning of these coming on the market. If they were indeed faulty remains a mystery.
It did put me off purchasing one for some time for these reasons alone.
But now I have absolutely no reservations they are great rods. The best bang out there for your money and have been for the last few years.

Richox12

Reaction score
5 pages, possibly 6 now, and just the one new breakage in all of it and in how long ? Several months ? All of this year ?? Year and a half ? 2 years ??

Wow, it really is an epidemic.

It's just regurgitating old news. Scaremongering even.

Keith M

Reaction score
I agree with trotter, its possible that there could have been an issue with a few of the really early rods which had since been remedied (hopefully), which is probably why Ian and the others; who didn’t buy theirs when they first came out; didn't have the same problems when they bought theirs.

I haven’t had any problems with mine since I had the replacement tip section a couple of years ago, and I’m quite sure any original problems with these rods has been solved; however it’s still possible that there may still be one of the original rods sitting on a shelf in a backstreet shop somewhere which could still raise its head sometime.

It’s certainly out of sync with Drennan who do and always have made excellent rods in my view.

Keith

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
I agree with trotter, its possible that there could have been an issue with a few of the really early rods which had since been remedied (hopefully), which is probably why Ian and the others; who didn’t buy theirs when they first came out; didn't have the same problems when they bought theirs.

I haven’t had any problems with mine since I had the replacement tip section a couple of years ago, and I’m quite sure any original problems with these rods has been solved; however it’s still possible that there may still be one of the original rods sitting on a shelf in a backstreet shop somewhere which could still raise its head sometime.

It’s certainly out of sync with Drennan who do and always have made excellent rods in my view.

Keith
I would imagine the chances of shops having old stock from years ago will be very slim. What I do know is stocks of acolyte 13ft rods have been running very low. With shops running out of stock over the Christmas period. And before anyone asks no drennan have not discontinued the acolyte range. Its all down to supply and demand. Demand is high "sold out".

terry m

Reaction score
Interesting thread.
I have no axe to grind here, but I do have a14ft Accolyte and I absolutely love it, and so far taking it from its rod bag has not resulted in parts crumbling to dust between my fingers, neither has threading line through the rings led to sections disintegrating before my eyes!

I tend to look at this from a manufacturers perspective. If a leading manufacturer like Drennan had knowledge that one of its flagship rod ranges had an inherent fault that led to an epidemic of breakages, does anyone seriously think that they would ignore or cover it up? That would be unbelievably short sighted, saving the cost of replacing top sections would be outstripped many times over by reputational damage to the entire brand. Covering up such issues in a company is incredibly difficult.

I have broken many rods over the years, every single one of those breakages, without exception, has been due directly to my acts or omissions. Perhaps I have been fortunate so far?

bullet

Reaction score
Maybe there ought to be a thread where anyone can post if they've personally had any issues with rods, reels etc.
That way, over time, a picture of any repetitive problems with gear could build up, and help us all.
Free from hearsay, obviously...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Happy to help Trigger. How is that broom? Frankly I'd rather be educated in a subject that prattle on like an idiot

Educated....what do you know?...your just boring m8.

Your more than welcome to come and educate me ?.

Keith M

Reaction score
Happy to help Trigger. How is that broom boring? Frankly I'd rather be educated in a subject that than prattle on like an idiot.

Go to the back of the spelling class liphook and stop giving us so much lip. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Only kidding :)

Keith

Last edited:

Richox12

Reaction score
One other thing to bear in mind is that there are a lot of Acolyte's. By that I mean many different models - at least 20 variations I think. So multiply that by sales per type and it will be a heck of a lot of rods and one heck of a lot of sections. No wonder people know of or hear of breakages.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Happy to help Trigger. How is that broom? Frankly I'd rather be educated in a subject that prattle on like an idiot

Just thinking about your reply rubberlip.

You said "how is that broom", which rod are you referring to, if you are referring to a fishing rod?

Regarding being educated, as you are so well up on fishing rods can you reccommend me a good rod for trotting?
I'd like one which I can target barbel and chub with, but one that will also be fine for smaller species such as dace, roach etc.
Ideally I'd like one light enough to hold in my hand comfortably for several hours of fishing, so a rod as light as possible, but still having the backbone to catch those species of fish mentioned.

With your wealth of knowledge of the fishing tackle trade i'm sure you can point out the best rods for my requirments.
I look forward to see your expert recommendations ?.

Maybe a few tips on how to catch the species of fish I want to target if possible....thank's :).

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
One other thing to bear in mind is that there are a lot of Acolyte's. By that I mean many different models - at least 20 variations I think. So multiply that by sales per type and it will be a heck of a lot of rods and one heck of a lot of sections. No wonder people know of or hear of breakages.

I think most of the problems stem from some of the earlier float rods, some of which had faulty blanks. In my own case the rod was a very early example that was bought shortly after they were first released. Unfortunately the shop I bought it from had closed and the warranty period had passed. I’ve had no problems since the new top and I hope it’s all been resolved. I haven’t heard of any problems with other types of rod in the Acolyte range, which is good as I’m getting an Acolyte feeder rod soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk