Drought coming

seth49

Reaction score
When we had the big drought twenty some years ago, I was still working for the water board, and I suggested to my boss that with the very low reservoir levels, it would be worth getting some machinery into the reservoirs and digging out all the accumulated silt, and perhaps deepen them as well. Which would be be a quick way to increase storage.

He agreed that it would be a good idea, and he said he would pass it on to his boss nothing ever happened though, it’s all about making money now, and the shareholders dividend.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
In my town some years ago they built two big underground storage tanks to take away the storm water and use it when there was drought. I think this has been very successful and I have wondered why the water boards couldn't do the same on a larger scale, take the flood water away and reuse it in the summer.

mikench

Reaction score
The golf course is being hammered in the off-irrigation areas such as the fairways, such a shame after all the time, money and effort invested in aerating and over seeding following the scorching Summer the year before last.

Even some of the greens and tees which are on irrigation are having to have wetting agents applied and are being supplementary watered throughout the day.

As for water shortages it's a scandal and a national disgrace following the wettest Autumn on record and the wettest February too, it's about time those in charge of the water companies were criminalised for failing to reinvest enough profit to ensure supply.

The water was clearly there but the capacity to store it obviously isn't.

Having said that we have a 90% chance of heavy rain tomorrow from around 7am to 5pm, that should freshen things up a bit if it materialises.

Nothing has changed at all. I remember 1976 and what was proposed to increase our water supplies. We have more than our fair share and after nearly 6 months of nearly continual rain in most parts we are now in drought territory. No attempt has been made to pipe water( by canal, pipes) from one area to another and leaks still waste millions of gallons every day.

We have gone from the wettest period in our history to the sunniest and driest. It's raining nicely here.

bracket

Reaction score
I fully agree with what has already been said about the incompetant water company's. Their raw material they get for free, from the heavens, by the billions of gallons and they can't even harvest that satisfactorily. Why ever they don't construct reservoirs on the coast and take water from the rivers before it tips into the sea I fail to understand. There would be minimum ecological interference to the river system by doing so. As for the people furlouged being responsible for increased water useage well that is absolute nonsense. Certainly there will have been some increase in domestic usage but that will have been more than compensated for by the lack of usage in Industry and Manufacture, which has been in tick over mode for the last twelve weeks. Another bit of calculated spin, to make the consumer feel guilty for using the service he is over paying for. Pete

sam vimes

Reaction score
Well, it's decidedly wet today, and there's a fair few wet days in the forecast for the next two weeks. Looks like we've had our traditional May summer and it's now over.

Keith M

Reaction score
I read that our water supplier (Affinity) in Hertfordshire has no water storage reservoirs at all and just abstracts water from the water aquifers which is why our rivers are so low throughout the year and the water table is so low.

Were not short of reservoirs in Herts so why don't they put some of the money they get from us into water storage instead of just pilfering it from our water aquifers and lowering our water tables, and lining their shareholders Pockets.?
We would all be benefitting from this in the long run including the shareholders.

Keith

Last edited:

flearoy

Reaction score
I live on the coventry canal and my boat has been stuck for a week it has gone down about a foot

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's called the British summer and has arrived bang on schedule Chris.

I've not been in full time employment for seven years. However, for at least five years prior to that, I'd always take my annual "summer" holiday in May. As far as I'm concerned, May has had the most reliable good weather for years.

mikench

Reaction score
It's rained most of the day but just about wetted the drive and the lawns. We need a lot more to make a difference.

Aknib

Reaction score
We certainly haven't had the amount of heavy rain here that was forecast for today although the steadier stuff that came is very good in that more of it is absorbed by the ground instead of running straight off when it gets too heavy so things are benefitting, if not the river levels.

It does look like the rivers will be fresher by the 16th :)

rayner

Reaction score
If we're only to get this tiny amount of rain then a drought is looming, trouble is anything verging on a deluge we'll all be flooded.
What chance do we have we're either drowning or dying of thirst.

mikench

Reaction score
It's raining steadily and has been since 7.00am. South Wales have had a months rain in a few hours. Once again our weather is very variable region by region.

steve2

Reaction score
Judging by the forecast, for some the river season will open with flooded rivers again.

rich66

Reaction score
Fishing on Tuesday this week I had to lay on the bank to reach the water to get some for my pellets. i noticed on this pic you can see how much lower than the normal level we are here in Leicestershire. Rain is due for this evening but it’ll be gone by morning according to my favourite weather guide. With only an inch forecast between now and Tuesday I doubt it will improve much, but will add some colour to the river.

EB66F437-FFDD-4784-A06E-038E4F9829D4.jpeg

sam vimes

Reaction score
After working outside for two days of p****** rain, it's nice to see some pics of sunshine. At least another two days of it, including some thunderstorms, forecast for the North East. I'm grateful that the May summer mostly coincided with angling being allowed.