Drying fishing gear.

seth49

Reaction score
Got a lot of my gear wet yesterday, mainly while carrying it to the car, in heavy rain, plus rod hold-all which doesn’t go under the brolly properly, and my coat etc.

Got it back home and up to my tackle room, opened the bags and hold-all, hung the wet clothes up, and put my dehumidifier on, it’s set on auto which automatically turns it off, when the humidity is below a certain level.

Did this at five pm, and by nine pm it had switched off, and everything was dry, really useful for this, also for lowering the humidity in the house in winter, and drying washing on wet days, had it for over four years now and never had a problem with it, really useful.

theartist

Reaction score
I used to live in a house riddled with damp, oh the joys of that dehumidifer humming in the background. I used to bring wet gear back and it actually got wetter :)

john step

Reaction score
My garage is integral and things dry pretty quickly. I put a desk fan on to circulate the air which speeds things up even more.

Keith M

Reaction score
If it’s raining I usually hang my nets up in my greenhouse (instead of staking them out on the lawn to dry); and my damp outer clothing either goes in the greenhouse or in the airing cupboard until it’s dry; depending on what time of year it is.

Keith

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
I don't remember the last my fishing tackle got wet. When it did get wet I hung the clothing up in the garage. The rod and reels I would dry off with a towel. Nets I would hang up in the trees in the garden.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I hate fishing in the rain so if its forecast I dont go.

That said the MO often does me and when that happens it can take me a whole day to dry things off. Clothings not much of an issue...I'll stick what can be washed in for a wash and what can't I'll hang up until dry. Nets,mats etc in the garden and what can goes in the tumble dryerie reel cases and "soft" stuff. Rods,reels boxes etc I will dry by hand and/or leave out to air dry. It often means Mrs S has a kitchen full of rods & reels for a day but she understands why,bless her.

I didn't do this once and when I next looked I'd lost 2 reels and every hook I had. Lesson learnt.

steve2

Reaction score
I once forgot to wash and dry reels after a days sea fishing when I went to use them again the salt had corroded them. It never happen again an expensive mistake to make.

Philip

Reaction score
Nowadays I don’t often go if its raining but if I have to then I try and limit what I take so there is less to get wet. Nets and Mats I hang in a tree in the garden. Waterproof coats and trousers will just get hung in the shed.

I never dry reels or rods…lifes too short. They just get left set up and put in a rack in the garage

seth49

Reaction score
I have a short washing line between two sheds, hang my nets and towels etc on that, and hose them down, I certainly wouldn’t try and dry those in the house, my wife would not be impressed.

I keep a can of febreze vanilla air freshener in the car as well, it stops the smell of wet nets in the car, especially if there’s bream slime involved.

mikench

Reaction score
I usually hose down my landing net and leave it in the sun to dry and for the UV rays to work their magic. In other cases I use this made by Rod Hutchinson. I either spray the net outside the net bag or , more usually, within it with all the others. It works.

IMG_9812.JPG

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have just bit the bullet and bought a Preston Innovations DF30 suit.Should arrive before end of the week.
I already have the DF12, when this is dirty I either hose it down or put on a low temp 15 minute wash with soap flakes.
Will do the same with the DF30 when it needs it,
As for nets and net bag and bait boxes they get hosed off and left to dry, Nets are either left spread out on the lawn or put on shed roof, net bag turned upside down to dry as well as bait boxes.
No use washing nets and then putting them back in a dirty damp net bag.

Reaction score
Well,I have a waterproof sleeve for my brolly,which I stand open in my garage when I go out to dry,my rod holdall is a million year old Brennan and Hickman which is coated in plastic,this allows me to lay it out in the rain and shake it off,a plastic Galaxy Rive seat box,so the only thing is my carryall and myself,all pretty good...

Philip

Reaction score
I purchased a plastic sleeve for a Garden Parasol that is perfect for sliding a wet brolly into at the end of a session to keep the car dry.

I also use large plastic garden bags...the sort for putting raked up leaves into, to put wet net/mats into to keep the car boot dry.

They are large, tough, not expensive and do the job.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Your sleeve is what I have,brollies cost enough to warrant looking after them....

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
My Preston brolly came with a sleeve, I use that until get home.
I had a 6' x 4' groundsheet that was very light and cost a couple of quid from the bargain shops, I used that to cover luggage when it rained, it has pegging points on it. Turn shuttle upside down so inside of tackle bag does not get wet.
A good brolly and covered side tray and a set of waterproofs does the job.