EEL Fishing around Oxford area

Aknib

Reaction score
Good luck with your quest Mark, I had a bit of an excursion into large eel fishing including a few night sessions a few seasons ago but was unsuccessful and a good stillwater eel still eludes me although I came very close to the net with one whilst Perch fishing.

I'm sure I read somewhere, possibly an article on the National Anguilla Club Forum, that practically all land locked stillwaters will contain varying amounts of eels but I agree with Phil in that your best bet may be a water connected to a larger network or possibly a pit within flood range of a nearby river or drain.

Very mysterious and elusive creatures, I still fancy a go at them but would seriously have to rethink my approach.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Good luck with your quest Mark, I had a bit of an excursion into large eel fishing including a few night sessions a few seasons ago but was unsuccessful and a good stillwater eel still eludes me although I came very close to the net with one whilst Perch fishing.

I'm sure I read somewhere, possibly an article on the National Anguilla Club Forum, that practically all land locked stillwaters will contain varying amounts of eels but I agree with Phil in that your best bet may be a water connected to a larger network or possibly a pit within flood range of a nearby river or drain.

Very mysterious and elusive creatures, I still fancy a go at them but would seriously have to rethink my approach.
He has joined Farnham and district AS, and fished a couple of their waters, and is looking for a couple to fish around Oxford.

Newlands waters flood in heavy rain along with the other waters on Linear complex, Newlands now has closed membership and Linear could be hit and miss ,plus day tickets can cost a fair bit.

Not heard of any from the Thames around Donnington or Sandford. Or from Clattercote Res.

When he caught the 7.8lb from near Warrington, it was on a Rudd deadbait, but prior to catching it he had a carp of 10lb and a carp of 14.8lb on the Rudd deadbaits.

I will phone a couple of local tackle shops to see if they have any info.

steve2

Reaction score
With eel fishing my best ones have come from waters that had no history of eels. My best one, just under 6lbs, came for a water that had no connection to a river apart from a long dried up ditch. The river its self being over 3 miles away. I just had a feeling there could be eels in there.
The biggest pain in the butt now is the stocking of carp which are growing to love dead baits.

The bad one

Reaction score
Your friend isn't Tony J is it Mark? I have a mate who was one of the bailiffs at Clattercote for a few years until he moved back up North about 2 years ago. I'm due to give him a ring in the coming weeks, I'll ask him about what he knows about eels in Clattercote.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Your friend isn't Tony J is it Mark? I have a mate who was one of the bailiffs at Clattercote for a few years until he moved back up North about 2 years ago. I'm due to give him a ring in the coming weeks, I'll ask him about what he knows about eels in Clattercote.
No, his name is Jason, he has always lived around the Northwest.
At the moment the info I am getting is that no one seems to fish for them around here, I haven't had any when I have fished various stretches of the canal on chopped worm. Usually expect a couple on Shroppie canal in northwest. Thought it may be same here.
I sent my friend a message saying a 6lb eel came out of Manor Farm Leisure commercial near Evesham last week.

The bad one

Reaction score
One person I do know who has had eels in wider Oxfordshire area was Andy Nellist who did write a lot for this website many years ago. Not heard of him for quite a while but other members may have done. Anybody want to give Andy a nudge regarding this?

The bad one

Reaction score
Mark I spoke with my mate who was a bailiff at Clattercote yesterday, he said he'd never heard of any eels coming out of there, Boddingtons or the canal. So it would seem they are in short supply around that area which given their national status, it's not surprising.