Everywhere is rammed !

Philip

Reaction score
I think the point being made here is that surely between the two extremes of yob infested, fish devoid **** hole and wonderous but popular, secure, fish filled paradise there must be an awful lot of scope to find something that will tick MOST (note, not all) the required boxes.

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
As the OP I seem to have been cast as some sort of pantomime villain here. I have no doubt that there are waters out there that are not " rammed" but I was speaking of my own experiences this year....everywhere I've been has been rammed. Yes....I know I could scratch around on the GUC but that's not really what I do and I care not what anyone says it IS different down here where commercials and carp dominate and parking/access is a major issue. The days when I could happily yomp a mile or more carrying 50-60 lb of gear are long gone.

I'm not making this up. It is putting me right off and,as I said earlier, its made me seriously consider how much longer I actually want to do this. If I can't get on where I want to fish and dont enjoy fishing where I can get on then what,pray, is the bloody point ?

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have just been invited to fish a stretch of the Thames that's on the south cerney card next week.
Can park near most pegs apparently, so I am going to have a look and see what it's like and decide what tackle to take.
If its pulling through looks like a day on the canal.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
If you Google your town or county and coarse fishing you may discover there are quite a few fishing stations you have never heard of or try this website which you can click a county and it tells you a list of day fisheries etc.
https://www.fish-uk.com/fishing_in_kent.htm. It is set on Kent but there are a list of counties to search down the left.
You have to look and do a bit of searching sometimes. I bet there are a few in there that are not well known or advertised that all these beginners and lockdown anglers will not go too. Lets face it, they are going to the biggest most well known commercials or the easiest most accessible places first. Many of them will get fed up with all the crowds, dead easy fishing and unnatural surroundings I am sure and will give it up within a couple of months.
Do just try google as well and ordinance survey maps and/or google maps and look for the blue bits see how many you know. That's how I started and found a few unknown hidden gems which I am sure the angling pandemic brigade wont find.

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
Thinking back to when I first started there were more anglers and less water to fish and many places were packed. If you didn't get there early you would not find a swim to fish even on small streams. I remember coaches packed with anglers heading all over the place and getting there and finding coaches had beaten to to it and having to squeeze in where ever you could fit in. Now there is much more water and fewer anglers so there must be plenty of places that are not rammed.

Reaction score
I think the point being made here is that surely between the two extremes of yob infested, fish devoid **** hole and wonderous but popular, secure, fish filled paradise there must be an awful lot of scope to find something that will tick MOST (note, not all) the required boxes.

There probably is Philip,in normal circumstances,but it is noticable that anglers that catch little are happy just to get out,but as winter creeps in the amount of anglers spread over most of our waters in the home counties,most clubs have shut up shop so you cant even try to creep off somewhere else,in other parts of the country its bound to be different,I would imagine the fens are relatively quiet,but maybe not....

fred hall

Reaction score
I would have thought it was a good thing that there are more people taking up angling.

It has often been said there is not enough youngsters coming into fishing.

The winter will steady things up but these are strange times indeed.
Couldn't agree more.