Expander pellets

mikench

Reaction score
What are they and what do they add to "ordinary" pellets for using as feed or on the hair?

Couldn't the same effect be achieved by soaking any old pellet in water? Do they stay on the hook like, for example, sonubaits hooker pellets?

bracket

Reaction score
They are hard floating pellets which after soaking and pumping expand in size and sink. I use them all the time, both for feeding and on the hook. They are brilliant for silver fish but unfortunately carp like them also, but that's a cross you just have to bear. I use them in sizes 4mm and 6mm. For me the best pellet pump is the one marketed by Steve Ringer. I find they are best fished on the pole. Pete.

mikench

Reaction score
Presumably because they are so soft/squishy you have to put them directly on the hook? Do they stay on?

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I put some in a bag last night and will check them out this evening. It all sounds a bit complicated and unnecessary to me and fishing is complicated enough. Next we will be soaking them in Southern Comfort and coating them in hundreds and thousands:rolleyes: Now there is an idea and i might just patent the plan;)

seth49

Reaction score
I dropped my pellet pump, and broke it, so I bought one of the new Preston innovations pumps.
It works really well,most times one pump is enough to sink all the pellets.
And the best things is that it doesn't hold to many pellets.and I'm not doing to many, and wasting them.

mikench

Reaction score
I have checked my little bag and they are so soggy they remind me of dog biscuits left out in the rain. I doubt I will miss this particular fishing initiative:rolleyes:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Even with all the proper pumping gear and getting them to the perfect stage for the hook I still cannot get them to work for me - consistently, that is...
That said, I have only used Ringers in various sizes ( and flavoured ) and have given them a real good work out, but the occasional fish has been generally followed by long spells of nowt !

Likely as not I'm doing something wrong so I shall watch this thread with interest. In the meantime the info given via the ' Expanders ' posts by Sagalout pretty much covers the subject..................

Perhaps I just need to work at it ?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
mikench..........Yes, I have noticed that your thirst for knowledge and putting it all into practice probably far out ways the amount of time you have for fishing !!

I have worked out that you would need a minimum 35 hour day / seven days a week to try out all that you have requested information for.....................Still, always good to have a variety of posts running and we can all learn something off of them ( add a winky smilie here ! )

rayner

Reaction score
Mikench, not all expanders need pumping.
Bait tech expander are sound if you soak them then put them in a bag over night with the water drained off. Any that do float will sink with just a little squeeze in water.
You cannot just write them off they are very good. Don't buy a pump go for sagalouts syringe idea, you will only need a few so don't need a bucket.
The one I use is a 100ml one and was a quid odd from ebay.

mikench

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I did drain off the excess water and will give them a try on thursday. Do you use them on a hair rig with a bait stop or straight on the hook? The ones I bought were Ringers! I simply put a few in a bag, covered them in water, blew air in the bag and sealed it! The result resembled soggy biscuits like those the dog used to leave!

I will look for a syringe ( we have the odd one about- wife is a medic)! Mike

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I also use Ringers expanders. I simply put a few in a baitbox, cover them with cold water and leave them for half an hour before draining them. Give them a shake now and again and they're ready to use after another half hour.
Most of them float if loose fed but you don't want to feed them anyway, far too filling for the fish. I feed 2mm micropellets and fish the expander straight on the hook. They are not at all suitable for hair rigging being a bit too soft. For 6mm pellet I use a size 14 gamakatsu pellet hook which are a fine wire hook so less likely to break the pellet as you hook it.. The way the expanders are made they have a fibre which runs through from end to end so if you hook them through the side ( the curved edge ) they stay on better.
You don't say what you expect to catch using them or how Mike? IMO they are not suitable for feeder/ledger fishing and best fished on the pole or float fishing with a light rod. If I'm waggler fishing and need to cast them out I go up to a size 12 hook which doesn't look pretty but helps keep them on...
Expect to catch lots of lovely skimmers, they love them.....

rayner

Reaction score
A smaller syringe will work just the same, you just need something to plug the end after you have got it ready to use.
If you need a firmer expander you can use gelatine when you pump them, It's not really needed for pole fishing but may help when using your rod.

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks. I will be using them on the float for crucian carp, bream and roach. I am after a tench( having never caught one) but presumably they are suitable. I try (emphasis on try) to fish either dead depth or on the rising float method and the lake i plan to try is only 3.5 foot deep.