First swifts seen.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Still no swifts racing round the house like they usually do. House martins and swallows locally and sand martins at Eton on the Thames but no sign of swift yet. Quite a standoff atm between the local magpies and cat who could not look less bothered by their incessant racket if she tried. Its normally the squirrels that get this but I think the winter may have seen them off.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have been reading of quite a few sightings now although I haven't seen one yet or a swallow or martin locally. I might be visiting a place sometime this week where they usually are. Quite a few hobbies being sighted so they have arrived now and other migrants, Whitethroats in particular, I like this picture.
1621320675582.png

Last edited:

Reaction score
Bloody loads of sand martins in Bedford,arrived ages ago,haven't been there for a couple of weeks but they were there we!l before that...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Spotted my first swift this year, just caught a glimpse of one outside my window. I bought this yesterday, may take it back as it is definitely dead.
P1000091.JPG

Aknib

Reaction score
Our Swifts have been around for some time now at work and as usual are occupying our machine workshop which in turn is an old barn, they already have fledglings but tragedy has struck one of their groups in that the mother was found dead earlier today (suspected collision) with two fledglings noisily sticking beside her.

Couldn't get it out of my head and following a ten hour shift i've just returned to work via a trip to Pets at Home to buy some meal worms which were then soaked in boiling water as instructed and then taken over there and dished out in and on the cab of an old, disused tractor which they seem to have made home along with some drinking water.

I think i've been conned to a degree as although tentative they are flying and I know we're not supposed to interfere but it was a case of mother nature meeting the better side of human nature, I have no idea if i've helped but it wouldn't be for the lack of trying.

I've left another mug full of dried meal worms in our cabin to soak overnight and hope to see in the morning that much of what i've just left has been snaffled.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Our Swifts have been around for some time now at work and as usual are occupying our machine workshop which in turn is an old barn, they already have fledglings but tragedy has struck one of their groups in that the mother was found dead earlier today (suspected collision) with two fledglings noisily sticking beside her.

Couldn't get it out of my head and following a ten hour shift i've just returned to work via a trip to Pets at Home to buy some meal worms which were then soaked in boiling water as instructed and then taken over there and dished out in and on the cab of an old, disused tractor which they seem to have made home along with some drinking water.

I think i've been conned to a degree as although tentative they are flying and I know we're not supposed to interfere but it was a case of mother nature meeting the better side of human nature, I have no idea if i've helped but it wouldn't be for the lack of trying.

I've left another mug full of dried meal worms in our cabin to soak overnight and hope to see in the morning that much of what i've just left has been snaffled.
Interesting that, let us know if they survive. Is the male still feeding them? Are they feeding of your offerings? If both parents are gone the problem might come when they are trying to learn and catch insects for themselves without the parents to show them. Maybe it is just instinctive with swifts but I don't know.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Lots of swifts outside my window the last few days, just turned up, whether they have bred and are now waiting to go back to Africa I don't know but it is odd that they always appear in numbers around this month on the coast. I might try to get some pics today but it is not easy.
Just for something different, my nephew lives in Columbia and sent me these pictures taken with his phone while out riding his bicycle. We have worked out they are the Yellow Headed Caracara and maybe the Crested Caracara, small falcons that inhabit Columbia. beats wood pigeons and starlings.

Attachments

• 209209296_822209908682324_8098604121733521200_n (2).jpg
    209209296_822209908682324_8098604121733521200_n (2).jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 55
  • eli 1 (2).jpg
    eli 1 (2).jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 61
  • eli 1.jpg
    eli 1.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 54

Reaction score
My garden has been inundated with screeching swifts during the last week,I dont know if it is widely known but if you put swift boxes up it pays to attract nest searching birds by playing recordings of this call so ive been annoying my neighbours by whistling in a high pitch,they certainly come to investigate...

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Swifts will be going back now. I think they are generally the first to arrive and first to leave, so they are probably flocking now.

Reaction score
They certainly are Hugh,adults leave first,within the next two weeks,youngsters will be gone by mid August or so...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I think that is what happens here on the SE coast, they have done their nesting and flocking close by and having a good feed before they cross the channel. Plenty been "screeching" past my window lately, I haven't tried to get a pic yet, but usually too fast, I only managed one decent one one year after tying for hours and days. I am less quicker off the mark now, I need a movement sensor on my camera.