Fish you do well with

nottskev

Reaction score
I never catch any big ones, but I do catch tench when I wouldn't really expect to. When I lived in Manchester I got just two bites on a trip to the Leigh Canal - two tench. I walked half a mile to a famous barbel swim on the Derwent at Borrowash and on legered pellet had one bite - a tench. Last year I trotted a little float down a weirpool, sitting on the weir of a tiny stream, and the fish went, chub, dace.... tench.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Some places put a restriction on lash because in my opinion a short lash can be self hooking if using a decent sized elastic,
A snag with short lash is that the slightest bump when shipping the pole out can result in rig wrapping round the tip. I try to overcome this by keeping float and bait in the water when shipping out.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I thought I knew what "lash" meant, but now I'm not so sure. I've never, ever, heard the term before. Are you two talking about the length of line between the pole float and the pole tip, or is it a hooklink? Please clarify. I've seen rules that stipulate how long a hooklink needs to be, especially with regards to method feeders, but I've never heard of a venue specifying the minimum length of line between pole tip and float.

rayner

Reaction score
Yes, the lash is the length of line between the elastic connector to the float. Some fisheries like Lindholm and the Glebe specify the length of the lash, they want the angler catching fish not the pole. I know now that Lindholm insists on an 8" minimum.

fred hall

Reaction score
Yes, the lash is the length of line between the elastic connector to the float. Some fisheries like Lindholm and the Glebe specify the length of the lash, they want the angler catching fish not the pole. I know now that Lindholm insists on an 8" minimum.
Is it just me or is having a fishery rule like this just plain daft? How do you enforce it for a start?

rayner

Reaction score
I suppose it depends on how you think fishing should be, fisheries all over the country have their own rules that could sound strange to some.
Competition angling especially International feeder fishing insist anglers use a minimum 50-centimetre hooklength, it does cost fish at times.
Anglers who cheat and get caught never lose the cheating tag.
It's enforced by the bailiffs they continually walk around, checking baits and for rule-breakers, if caught you are off Lindholme is a prime example for being checked. Daft or not they have rules if you don't agree it's best not to fish there.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I suppose it depends on how you think fishing should be, fisheries all over the country have their own rules that could sound strange to some.
Competition angling especially International feeder fishing insist anglers use a minimum 50-centimetre hooklength, it does cost fish at times.
Anglers who cheat and get caught never lose the cheating tag.
It's enforced by the bailiffs they continually walk around, checking baits and for rule-breakers, if caught you are off Lindholme is a prime example for being checked. Daft or not they have rules if you don't agree it's best not to fish there.
Didnt the Russians " cheat" a few years ago by bending the rules in an international feeder match, They had the minimum 50cm hooklength, but they folded most of the line inside the feeder with the feed leaving just a short length with baited hook showing. ,?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
A club I am in in Oxford has a minimum 18" length from float to hook. All feeder straight leads rigs to be free running, you could if you wanted to make one semi fixed by using a push fit hooklength adaptor into the end of feeder or lead.
A commercial I fish and also a club water here has a no floating bait rule, if I fish the commercial on far mudline or near island with bread , on the pole,I have it so it is just under the surface sinking very very slowly. Had many a carp doing that instead of it sinking straight down. I test it in near margin first and it's just a question of squeezing a little amount of air from the bread once wet.no need for shot down the line.
Am I breaking the rules, ? ..... No ,even though the bread is visible it is below the surface.
I suppose it can be done with a floating bait on a zig rig on larger waters

rayner

Reaction score
It's true they did, you can't credit it. For an International sportsman to cheat shows how much pressure is on them, no excuse though, it's as bad as athletes doping to improve performance, all to get a result.

Reaction score
It annoys me when rules are made stating feeder/lead rigs must be free running,this all stems from carp anglers using heavyish hooklinks(often heavier than their reel line),or method feeder fishing with short hooklinks,if you are bream fishing on a fixed paternoster with say twenty inches plus from the knot with less than 4lbs hooklengths problems are minimal,everyone gets tarred with the same brush,often running bream feeder rigs can be prone to crack offs(friction of swivel sliding perhaps)with line often showing damage,the fixed paternoster rarely so,I wouldn't dream of fishing for barbel with it,but its a risk assessment imv,again rules made judging everyone having the sense of a moron...