Fishing flooded canals

rich66

Reaction score
My common sense has got the better of me and I’m thinking of trying a stretch of the GUC I came across last week it’s 200 maybe 300 yards of canal that bridges a loop in the river. The river is a raging torrent or was, so I think the fish may be holed up in there. Dont want to carry too much bait, gear etc, any thoughts on bait ? I was thinking maybe bread punch and liquidised bread.

peterjg

Reaction score
Give it a go and see? I would lay-on with a size 12 hook to 0.10mm line alternating between bread flake and dendras, it sounds a bit crude but it works. Use a bit of ground bait as well. In warmer temps use sweetcorn over wheat.

john step

Reaction score
The best days roaching I ever had was on a high and coloured section of the GUC at Hunton Bridge Watford. It looked completely unappetising but maggot laid on over depth down the track just kept producing big roach all day. I think they must have moved down from the side stream by the lock gates where they were never fished for. Keith Arthur was fishing there that day and he said he had never seen the like of it.