Fishing goals and ambitions this year

Keith M

Reaction score
I haven’t any definate goals to fulfill, however I’ve never caught a Zander so I wouldn’t mind catching one or two of them; and I wouldn’t mind hooking a river Lea Grayling; the NRA stocked a few a couple of years ago but I’ve not seen any of them being caught from the upper Lea yet.

Also I wouldn't mind putting my fly rod to use catching a few Carp off of the surface like John Wilson used to do in one of his videos; which is why I bought my fly rod in the first place.

Keith

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
Another ambition that I have is to catch a 2lb roach from a canal - very, very hard so in reality more of a wish than an ambition.

Reaction score
Wow that is a hard one,especially on all the canals I know....you might need three or four lifetimes.......

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Wow that is a hard one,especially on all the canals I know....you might need three or four lifetimes.......
I had 3 or 4 from the Bridgewater Canal in Lymm.
It was different pegs on the same stretch so possibly the same fish.
But I am claiming separate fish, it sounds better ?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I want to catch a bitterling on hook and line come summer. I will probably use squats or the smallest punch of bread as bait.

A nice easy goal to get out of the way. ?
Budworth Mere ,Warrington stretch, park at the top of the road in small layby and walk down suicide hill to water, Its walking back up that you feel as if committing suicide .

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
To attend a FM fish-in where it doesn't p1$$ down with rain all day..............................

It didn’t pee down on the last one Jerry. But the one before that wow! What a ghastly day. It didn’t pee down at Marsh Farm a few years ago, probably one of the hottest days I’ve fished. I was shattered by the end. Or one on the LIF, it was according to Neil Maidment’s car thermometer -7c.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barbelboi

Reaction score
Yes, missed the last one Ray as we were booked to go away - the first one I've missed I believe. Marsh Farm in the heat was an AA fish-in:cool:, Marsh Farm many years ago (when Windy came) was a flood that would have panicked Noah....

The LIF? I never minded the weather as we were on a good river with a nice head of grayling. Although the first one (again many years ago) we went through 4 seasons in one morning so wasn't the most enjoyable especially when even the chub stopped feeding before 10am due to all the road sh1t flooding in..................There was a good pic of Skip fishing in the blizzard part of the morning.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I well remember that first LIF trip as I was very glad of the club house facility.

Was that the year of Andy’s barbel or was that a later trip?

I have a photo somewhere of an array of rods and centre pins lined up as we all had lunch.

Philip

Reaction score
I wasnt there but I well remeber that Barbel...wasnt it a new River record that he caught on the fish in ? ...incredible...

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I believe a guy had a three pound roach on a FM fish in during the early days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I don’t think I’ve ever been colder than that day on the LIF. I packed up after trying ( and failing) for 20 minutes to tie another hook on. No barbel caught that day….a few cod and skate maybe.
My ambitions this year are simple
1. Catch a barbel…any barbel as I’ve not had one for years
2. Beat the Godalming silverbacks to a swim on my club lake
3.Fish rivers more
4. Catch a silver bream

flightliner

Reaction score
Another ambition that I have is to catch a 2lb roach from a canal - very, very hard so in reality more of a wish than an ambition.
A very hard to achieve ambition, my best from one of the several Yorkshire canals is a 1—11 taken about ten years ago.
A friend of mine had one several ounces over the 2lb mark but his is the only genuine "two" that I know of.
If I were to hazard a guess of a canal that could throw one up (potentially I suppose any can) It would be the Fossdyke (Cut by the romans to link the Trent to Lincoln) that runs into the Trent at Torksey.
That said I reckon it would come as a surprise to an angler who was out catching plenty of smaller roach.

Reaction score
I can remember many years ago on a stretch of the Grand Union near Marsworth ressies seeing a shoal of perhaps thirty big roach,they all looked over 1.8 in the water,just sitting on the surface sunning themselves,I never saw them before,or since,so it just goes to show you...