Fishing goals and ambitions this year

Specihunter

Reaction score
Do more fishing, go to different marks venues and rivers etc. And get out of my comfort zone.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Specihunter I know what you mean about comfort zone.
Many times last year I fished the same two pegs on a venue knowing I would catch decent fish.
I never tried the other side of the venue or the other similar sized pool on there or the larger one across the road.
I don't mind different pegs on canals because I know I am a fairly good canal angler.

steve2

Reaction score
It's very easy to just return to waters you know. I stopped fishing some in the past where repeat catches were becoming normal. I know some who still fish there and still count repeat captures on their big fish count. I know many anglers do this but to me it's not right to count the same fish caught 6 times as 6 20lb fish on their list.

Reaction score
Sadly fishing for 'targets' on waters will result in repeats,especially on low numbers of these 'targets',when you just go fishing and catch odd big fish,it just doesnt matter,as the pleasure is in getting your rod bent,not pounds and ounces,one of the reasons I dont take many photos,most of my fish are not of what I consider specimen size,just nice fish...but it is what rocks your boat in your angling.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
A 2lb roach or Rudd would be nice and I'm not bothered which. In fact either over 1.12 would bring a smile. I've bought a set of Newsomes just in case plus a bright orange case to put them in as unless I find the scales before I start( tempting fate) I cannot do so.

Reaction score
A smile comes on my face every time I catch a fish of over a pound of either species and ive had a fair few over two of both,beautiful fishto see,let alone catch.❤

barbelboi

Reaction score
Plenty of 2lb+ roach but never a 2lb+ rudd, lovely fish but not abundant in most rivers. I have seen some (possibly close) whilst stalking a quiet stretch of local river so might have a go for them when the warmer weather arrives. The last time I got close was in the 70's fishing a lake near Stoke Poges - never went back though as the guy that turfed us off introduced himself as Sgt someone,the bailiff for this Thames Valley Police water............

Reaction score
I had a bit of good fortune with rudd,a rare elusive fish in sizes over 2lbs,ive actually had several more over 2lbs 12ozs than I have 2 to 2lbs 8ozs,best 3lb 1ozs,the two waters in question producing these fish for one season each,not odd ones either,before going into the shadows again,odd....

silvers

Reaction score
Plenty of 2lb+ roach but never a 2lb+ rudd, lovely fish but not abundant in most rivers. I have seen some (possibly close) whilst stalking a quiet stretch of local river so might have a go for them when the warmer weather arrives. The last time I got close was in the 70's fishing a lake near Stoke Poges - never went back though as the guy that turfed us off introduced himself as Sgt someone,the bailiff for this Thames Valley Police water............
There are some huge Rudd in the drains
but not easy to locate.
IMO this shoal lives in the marina at March and rarely ventures in to the river.

silvers

Reaction score
I had a bit of good fortune with rudd,a rare elusive fish in sizes over 2lbs,ive actually had several more over 2lbs 12ozs than I have 2 to 2lbs 8ozs,best 3lb 1ozs,the two waters in question producing these fish for one season each,not odd ones either,before going into the shadows again,odd....
i’ve only caught two ... a 2:15 and a 3:6 ... back in the late 80s, just after Luton AC acquired a lake that is still on their book.
it was the only time I ever fished it ... pure luck ... I caught them on A very slow sinking feeder!
but I’m not giving myself a chance with the venues that I frequent since then.

my best roach from a canal was 1:13 ... had 3 in one match for nearly 5 pounds on caster. grand Union in brum. Never saw any others close to that size in the nearly ten years that I fished the venue. Selective baits may have thrown up some surprises.

silvers

Reaction score
The only remotely speci hunting i’ve done for over 30 years has been fishing a big bream water (match style) for double figure slabs. I only managed to get there once this season ... and just had one ‘skimmer’ about six pounds or so.
so my ambition for this year is to do more of that ... at least two trips this year!!

ask me again next year, as retirement beckons and I should have more time for things other than match fishing ?

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
Caught plenty of 2lb Rudd when fishing in Ireland. My best Rudd in this country have been caught while fly fishing on trout water far better fish than stocked trout. Some people did think I was a bit strange fishing for Rudd in fact the last time I fished this water I was hoping to catch some of the big perch on flies.