Float making.

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
Irwell sticks for shallow water trotting
20201115_185227.jpg

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Practical float making, just thought it might be good to explain some of these-
These were odd bits I have picked up mainly. the first one right to left was some sort of wooden biro casing I found, it looked just the right shape for a float so I picked it up; it is very heavy for its size so might make a nice light sea float for just drifting a bait under it in the sea without any weight, I think it will not take much cocking; or a heavy distance float for a lake maybe or the far bank in a river, see how it goes.
The 4th from the left was one of a set of reed stems I collected years ago, dried and painted, this is the only one that has survived so gave it a re-paint, these were quite good for fishing a small stream in the wind, heavy enough to stop the wind blowing into the bank but would cock with only one small shot so quite sensitive for the water. The 7th and 12th, don't know what these are, found them laying somewhere, they were wooden and shaped like that with the tip but I think they will work somewhere. The 8th float is in fact two broken floats pinned together with a bit of staple clip wire and overlaid with a bit of whipping, a bit bent but usable and would have thrown the bits away so a gain. 9th, 10th and 14th where just bits of left over swan quill given a bit of paint and varnish, very light floats, good for fishing very close in on a lake. 7th, one of my favorite old floats, had it a few years and I bought it in a job lot of old junk somewhere so i imagine its been knocking around a long time; gets a lot of use and got very battered with nearly all the paint chipped off so I thought time to give it a repaint although I think I preferred it the way it was however, I will be sorry come the day I lose it.
I like leaving the bottoms natural be it wood or cork and not pretty but gave me something to do during lockdown, in fact I have made two sets and plenty of floats now so I threw away all my plastic floats except the sea ones which are made of polystyrene but I have not got any thing else that's suitable for now but I might try making some wooden ones; shouldn't be difficult to find something..
100_0591.JPG

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
Markg, your floats are truly unique, the standard is just so individual - Purple Peanut eat your heart out! PS, don't give up the day job lol.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Not float making but might be of interest and decided to apply my float renovation skills to something else. I have started to renovate an old cane rod or maybe it is not cane! I have started on the bottom section and after coating in paint stripper it was not wiping off very well but I just had the idea to scrape it with a sharp knife and it worked on the softened varnish so a bit of progress. I will apply another of coat of paint stripper later. I think the cork handle and the ferrules will

be a a problem but we will see.
100_0592.JPG

Keith M

Reaction score
Lo tack tape would give you a sharper edge to your paint if you need sharper that is.

Purple I guess that you probably started painting these floats fairly sober (see the nicely painted ones at the back) but by the time you got round to the couple at the front you had probably become a little less sober???

It’s nearly Xmas so I don’t blame you :giggle: (y)

Still great looking floats though and much better than any of my attempts (y)

Keith

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
Rayner, Keith,

I make these the same way as I did when I first started making floats 5 or 6 years ago..... I kinda like the rough edge look on these.....reminds me of where & when I started.

purplepeanut007

Reaction score

After looking in my float boxes I discovered a distinct lack of stick floats.
(No surprise there hey lads.....lol)

So, a quick session on the lathe and I had a few bodies in hand for decoration.
The first pair are heavy, made for shallow....ish fast runs....Read the rest on the blog. ?

Attachments

• IMG_20201123_170854.jpg
    IMG_20201123_170854.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 125

peterjg

Reaction score
Markg! Not rods as well as floats! Your skills are without limit. Purple Peanut must be tearing his hair out - just how do you maintain those standards!

peterjg

Reaction score
Markg, great reply it made me laugh! We must have gone to the same school cos my floats are just like yours! I don't care what the finish is like as long as they work. Mind you, I wish I had the skill and patience to make floats like PP or Binka - I am always in too much of a rush to actually use my efforts! I make too many, I must have hundreds.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Markg, great reply it made me laugh! We must have gone to the same school cos my floats are just like yours! I don't care what the finish is like as long as they work. Mind you, I wish I had the skill and patience to make floats like PP or Binka - I am always in too much of a rush to actually use my efforts! I make too many, I must have hundreds.
PPand Binka are an invasive species, I don't know how they got here but I hope they don't start breeding then our ilk have had it but it might be too late but don't give up.

I enjoy doing this stuff, nothing wrong with making really beautiful floats to look at and admire, seriously I think what PP does is incredible, I am only pulling his leg but like you if I could I would but I doubt I have the patience and then there is obtaining all the necessary special varnishing etc. I have used what was at hand, some yacht varnish, some pots of paint from the pound shop, watercolors and some acrylic. My reasoning was the watercolors would be OK with a couple coats of varnish, some ordinary cotton. I made some float eyes out of staple clips, already bent, just needed to brake off a piece. Heath Robinson floats but I will love them and using them, they have a personal touch, they are definitely mine with my own stamp on them and they will work. I If I made floats like PP and Binks, I could never use them, too much to leave on a snag, in a tree or on the far bank but I doubt they have that problem. They have special eyes that can see under the water and radar/sonar/quantum digital casting abilities.:)

I am going to make some flies next, cant be harder than floats can it.

:)

Last edited:

purplepeanut007

Reaction score

We all had to start somewhere !!!!!

Wow.....2014 think i must have started float making in 2013

These wagglers where made of bull rush, painted tips and a no 8 swivel as an eye

Attachments

• IMAG1273_1.jpg
    IMAG1273_1.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 129
  • IMAG1285.jpg
    IMAG1285.jpg
    440.1 KB · Views: 115
Last edited: