fly fishing outing

riverman

Reaction score
a few years back i had my one and only fly fishing outing to maran lakes ( otherwise known as marston wyse).its in between wetherby and boroughbridge in north yorkshire.this was after answering a thread on a rival fishing forum regarding anyone who wanted to learn fly fishing to come along and give it a go.i'd previously had a fly casting lesson at wykeham lakes nr scarborough and enjoyed the experience.so i went along to bobco tackle and bought a fly rod 5/6 rating and a greys reel.fly line leader tippet and box of flies on internet (sinkers drys nymphs buzzers etc).on the day i met the tutor and ended up with 4 rainbows in a 5 hour session and boy did they hang on.i would love to have another go as i still have the tackle but feel i would have to be with someone with experience and be coached through the session.if theres anyone who fancies a day out with a novice i would be more than happy to join you.i live in leeds west yorkshire.

David Gane

Reaction score
It might be a good idea to say where you live and how far you are happy to travel Riverman. In the meantime, I spend a lot of time at Toft Newton reservoir near Market Rasen where for £30 you can spend some time with the resident pro Andy and get a foot in the door to fishing there. Honestly, you don't need to go there with a fishing buddy, the place is so friendly you'll be chatting with everyone as if you've known them for years within minutes anyway: https://www.tofttrout.com/coaching-guiding/

keora

Reaction score
As you mentioned, Maran Wyse between York and Wetherby is a good place for fly fishing. Fewston reservoir near Harrogate is even better although it's very exposed and casting can be difficult when it's windy.

You could consider paying for professional fly fishing tuition - expensive but you get what you pay for:

It's also worth learning to cast using The Complete Cast by Hywel Morgan. It's on a DVD, it costs £20. I've practised casting on playing fields, and it's an effective way of learning. Here's Hywel Morgan's site:

David Gane

Reaction score
I was lucky enough three or four years ago to be given a casting lesson with Hywel Morgan as a birthday present from my wife. I visited him at his home and we spent an afternoon in his local park working on my somewhat agricultural technique. He gave me a copy of one of his DVDs at the end and also gave me a tip that is worth repeating here. He suggested that if I got someone to record me casting on my phone and then compared what I was doing with the techniques shown in the DVD I'd be able to spot my own mistakes and work on them. It really does work. I didn't have a moment when I suddenly started to cast better, it was a slow progression over time, but I'm now a lot better than I was and, for example, have doubled my casting distance. More to the point though, if things start to go wrong I can now analyse what I am doing and work out what I need to do to get things back to where they should be.

riverman

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the reply. I'll certainly be in touch come springtime.

riverman

Reaction score
my new airflo 9ft 5/6 rod/reel combo has just arrived.comes with fully loaded reel fly line with backing a pack of 3 flies and a pair of shades.well worth £80.

trotter2

Reaction score
Have a look about there is probably a local fly tying guild in your area. Go along you will meet people

Reaction score
Quite amusing really,when I started I bought a double taper floating line,tied a short length of line with an inch of red wool tied on its end,went in a field and practiced,it soon became apparent that for stillwater fishing the d/taper was useless,needing either a shooting head,or weight forward,more practice,then some fishing,strangely I didn't need to be told about double hauling,worked out the mechanics of that myself,within no time I was able to get an entire w/forward line out,conditions allowing,now I'm sure the guys who do lessons would pick the hell out of my technique,but for years and years I caught loads of trout on several ressies and lakes across the country,I came runner up on a match on Lechlade where at least 7 or 8 were internationals(including Bob Church),now I would be the first to say,if it was fishing a traditional team of wet flies I would have been last,but,luckily it wasn't,lol...the moral is,the harder you work at it,the better you get...👍

riverman

Reaction score
yes i'm planning on practising my casting in the garden as i'm going fly fishing on the 28th of this month.