Good value?....

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
Or cheap tat?

I have just been looking at course fishing luggage and came across the daiwa boxed luggage set. I'm not interested in the net bag or reel case but the other bits will be used.

I will only be using course gear a hand full of times each summer when fishing fisheries with guests.

Will this be a good buy or is it too cheap to be decent luggage? Price on AD is £64.99

daiwa_boxed_luggage_set_main.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
I doubt Daiwa would market cheap tat. I have bought cheap rod bags which have eventually ripped or more usually developed broken zips. Have a look at the Browning Black Magic range which looks well made with decent zips and a , in the case of my rod bag, a solid external base for offending and often protruding bank sticks and brollies. Mine carries 3 rods in tubes, bank sticks, 2 landing net handles and a brolly. My rods are usually 13 and 14' three piece as 10' and 11' two piece stick out. I didn't want a 190cm bag. I have tricast and Preston rod cases and they have lasted well being old and bought with rod. As with most things in life you get what you pay for.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Diawa generally have good build quality with their luggage using functional designs and selling at around mid to low-mid price range.

If you don;t intend to use it twice a week for a year or two then it should be a good buy. Let us know how it goes.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Nat, it will be good value, if you don't need the net bag etc, price the Preston supera range up, or better still the Leeds GT range.
If you go for the Daiwa I will have the net bag off you.
Measure your rods before you get the holdall. That Daiwa one may be ideal for 3 piece rods but not two piece rods due to height.

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
Nat, it will be good value, if you don't need the net bag etc, price the Preston supera range up, or better still the Leeds GT range.
If you go for the Daiwa I will have the net bag off you.
Measure your rods before you get the holdall. That Daiwa one may be ideal for 3 piece rods but not two piece rods due to height.
I will have a look at that. Its for my acolytes would it be OK?

If they will fit in the holdall I will buy the luggage set. You can have the net bag and reel case ?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Are your acolytes 3 piece ?
If so yes it will be fine,
Thanks for the offer of net bag and case.
I will give them to my grandson.
For two piece rods you are looking at around 185cm in height. And that's were a good value Leeda GT pole holdall would do, price around £35.
Whichever you buy, put rods in a tube for extra protection.

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
Are your acolytes 3 piece ?
If so yes it will be fine,
Thanks for the offer of net bag and case.
I will give them to my grandson.
For two piece rods you are looking at around 185cm in height. And that's were a good value Leeda GT pole holdall would do, price around £35.
Whichever you buy, put rods in a tube for extra protection.
I need it to take 2 piece rod so will have to look into it further.

Going to buy bits to make pike rigs now! ?

nottskev

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of expensive luggage, but I've come unstuck with rod holdalls in the £30 bracket from Daiwa and Browning. Both came apart at the seams within a year. A Tricast holdall at more than twice the price was much more rugged, but so much so that at times it weighed more than its contents. You might be ok with luggage in that range for occasional use, but I wouldn't buy either Daiwa or Browning from lower down their ranges again.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
If you’re not fussed with labels try midwater luggage. Good quality, British made and reasonable prices. They have off the shelf items but will make bespoke if you require.

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
If you’re not fussed with labels try midwater luggage. Good quality, British made and reasonable prices. They have off the shelf items but will make bespoke if you require.
Thanks. I will check it out

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
Like I said around 185cm tall for 2 piece rods. Look at the small 4 tube pole holdalls, such as Leeda, Maver MVR , they are god value as well and not bulky.
Looking at the two lengths if I go for the luggage I should be OK by around 20cm on the holdall length.

If I go with it you can send your address via PM and I will send you the net bag and reel case! ?

steve2

Reaction score
Best luggage I ever bought was by a company called Fishrite still using it after 20 years, so are some of my angling friends. Might find some on ebay.

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
Best luggage I ever bought was by a company called Fishrite still using it after 20 years, so are some of my angling friends. Might find some on ebay.
Part of what drew me to the daiwa luggage set was it reminded me of my black and green keenets set I had as a kid. Very basic but it did the job.

I only want a holdall for two rods, brolly, net pole
And a basic bag to throw my tackle box and bits in. It will only be used a handful of times each summer.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I
Part of what drew me to the daiwa luggage set was it reminded me of my black and green keenets set I had as a kid. Very basic but it did the job.

And a basic bag to throw my tackle box and bits in. It will only be used a handful of times each summer.
Had a keenets carryall. Lasted me for years.
Keenets at one time sponsored what is now the Drennan northwest team. .

rob48

Reaction score
The ABS cases like the MAP Pole Protection model, or the Cresta Identity Protect are 1.9m long so will comfortably take two-piece rods. They're not just for poles, they take rods as well, and they come up nice and light because you don't need protective tubes inside them, which constitute a fair chunk of the overall weight of a regular holdall. They don't take up much room either with a X-section of about 150 x 170 mm but you can get loads of rods or poles with top-kits in them, as well as handles, bank-sticks.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
The ABS cases like the MAP Pole Protection model, or the Cresta Identity Protect are 1.9m long so will comfortably take two-piece rods. They're not just for poles, they take rods as well, and they come up nice and light because you don't need protective tubes inside them, which constitute a fair chunk of the overall weight of a regular holdall. They don't take up much room either with a X-section of about 150 x 170 mm but you can get loads of rods or poles with top-kits in them, as well as handles, bank-sticks.
Have you got one Rob ?
I have seen the Guru one and wasn't very impressed.
I know the crests holds a fair few sections,
Someone mentioned the Milo one ,that was supposed to be decent.

Keith M

Reaction score

If you only need to carry two rods a brolly and net pole then have you thought about buying a rod quiver with two padded rod sleeves attached on the outside instead of buying a rod bag with half a dozen heavy tubes inside, plus room for a kitchen sink?

You can fit your bank sticks and your landing net pole and folding net in the outside pockets and your brollie will go inside the centre section. plus your two rods in their own protective padded rod sleeves attached on the outside.

You can also carry one or two rod tube(s), inside for any extra rods if you really needed to.

I haven't used a rod holdall for many years; they were fine when I needed to take a host of different rods, whips and poles with me many years ago. However rod holdalls are just too bulky for me now, I no longer need room for a host of rods all in their own big and heavy rod tubes as well as my umbrella, bank sticks landing net poles etc. etc.

Keith

Last edited:

rob48

Reaction score
I've got the Cresta one Mark, but I suspect the basic cases are all knocked out at the same place with the coloured trim added afterwards.
I bought it in July as I'd got a couple of fishing holidays with the family coming up, Lower Severn in August, Warks Avon in September.
My (estate)car occupancy includes me, wife and dog (lab/retriever 40kg+) tackle, bait, clothes, shoes etc, enough food to last the first half of the week (including for kids and grandkids) plenty of cans and bottles, plus the dog's food and bits and pieces.
The good thing about the ABS case was that it would fit on top of the passenger seats between the front head-restraint and windows so it was safe and sound without taking up any room for the rest of the luggage. It comfortably held four float rods, three feeder/lead rods, a couple of long whips, two net handles plus bank sticks and feeder arm and some waterproofs laid flat down the middle.

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
I will have a look at the different options. I have a lot of choice to go off now.

Thanks!