Grandslam 15/17ft waggler rods

Ts1951

Reaction score
Hi trying to find this rod for river trotting. Informed by angling direct it has been discontinued by the manufacturer. New it’s only about 18 quid, but only using it 3/4 ties a year it fits my budget. Ooh! us poor pensioners! Can’t find the address or email address for grandslam. Any ideas any help appreciated.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm not speaking from experience of this particular rod, but I am a fan and regular user of long (15'+) rods. I've found that cheap and long is a terrible combination when it comes to rods. There are still plenty of fairly expensive long rods that are a waste of time and money. This is especially true for a long rod for trotting. You can get away with a heavy long rod when it spends most of its time sitting on rests, but you soon know about it when it's held all day. If the rod ends up being too heavy for trotting, chances are you'll use it once or twice and never bother again.

When it comes to Grandeslam Tackle, judging by the lack of stock anywhere, and the disappearance of their website, I'd wonder if the entire brand is no more.

mikench

Reaction score
Good advice there. Look for a quality rod s/h as bargains can be had. You can't expect a 15-17' carbon rod to be up to much at the price quoted . I don't know the marque but would steer clear even if available.

As an example there is a Preston carbonactive Sentient 15-17' on the bay currently at £69 although it may go higher.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Grandslam are sometimes distributed through Angling Direct, If you are after that particular rod I would phone your nearest one up.
They had a warehouse around the corner from where I worked .
The rod you are after at that price will be heavy, I gave a Leeda blue diamond rod to a charity shop, That was a rod that went to 20' i think, At 13' it was fine then got progressively heavier when the extra lengths were added. At 15' it was a good margin rod, i would not like to have used it on a river though, I would save money and see what is going on the auction sites or the free sale sites,

sam vimes

Reaction score
Grandslam are sometimes distributed through Angling Direct, If you are after that particular rod I would phone your nearest one up. They had a warehouse around the corner from where I worked.

If Grandeslam was primarily an Angling Direct brand, it may have been replaced by Advanta

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Sam, it was originally from Wayahead tackle, when I used to go to their warehouse in Haydock I saw a few Grandslam items there.Wayahead sent a lot of there stuff to North West Angling at Hindley ( now an Angling Direct) . When i was in there a few months ago i saw some Grandslam tackle,
Possible rebranded as Adventa . If so the Adventa tackle even though not top price is good usable tackle for anyone on a budget.And seems a lot better than the Grandslam tackle.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was stood next to someone as they reeled in a barbel of about 3lb recentl.
I noticed he was using an adventa rod....it had it written on the blank lol. I also noticed that only the tip bent round. Ok it was only a small barbel but the rod apeared to be solid most of the way up the blank!