Great Anglers

P

Philip Inzani

Just read the point about the weighing of Clarrisa and it does seem to be something that is raised from time to time.
Now I am not sure about the actual weighing procedure itself but one thing I heard that did surprise me was that I believe that **** Walker never actually claimed 44 pounds for that fish!!!! I think he only ever referred to it as a "forty ponder"
Reason for this was that the fish took on alot of water during its transport from Redmire....it basically became a very sick fish. The weight of 44 pound was after it took on the water?.I think **** knew this and supposedly referred to it as looking like a "boiled Owl" (a bit surreal but there you have it!)

Not sure if anyone has a better or more accurate insight into it.

R

Ron Clay

I have been privy to a lot of information regarding the capture of Clarissa (Ravioli). Most of which I will not repeat here.
When that fish was landed, the two scales owned by Pete Thomas and **** went to 36 lbs. The fish bottomed both of them. Then **** decided to weigh the fish using the two scales in parallel as it were. A reading of about 41lbs was registered by adding the two scale readings together.

During the trip to the London Zoo, the fish did take water. Then it was weighed. When **** was informed as to the weight, he thought it was a bit too high at 44lbs and that perhaps the sack may have been included. Apparently the sack was not included and the fish did weigh 44lbs.

****, however, never considered the capture of this fish as a great angling feat. If Pete Thomas had not have been there the fish would have been lost.

The two baits were only a yard or two apart and the carp could have picked up either.

Throughout the rest of his life **** played the capture of Ravioli down.

He was probably right.

B

Birds Nest

What was the story with the fish ? was it returned ? Sorry, I can probably read about it.. Point me towards the book..

P

Philip Inzani

Birds N...not sure which book its in but I think it was put in London Zoo Aquarium and lived there for many years after.

Actually talking about travelling fish, I also belive that the fish that took the record after that, Chris Yates 51 pound Mirror, in a previous capture was actually taken on a trip by car or on a motor bike wrapped in a wet sack to be wieghed and then taken back again....it was something similar to that anyway.

....wonder what the reaction to this would be today ?!

C

Chris Harvey

hi all i am new only 14 but i just wana say this site should do sum more fishing compos like win pols or rods or trips out with a top angeler wat do all u guys think

S

STEVE POPE

Hi Ron,

This is an interesting one, and not for the first time Alan in his own inimitable way has made the most important point.
Greatness is a word bandied about all too often these days, in the media especially.

In my humble opinion to be a great anything, you first of all must be a great person, man or woman, and to some degree that is not too difficult to define.

In the context of angling the question of communication has been made and rightly so. This covers the essential ingredient of giving, passing on knowledge acquired.
Giving of time also is important, time to everyone that matters. Basically giving of ones self.

There are many other qualities that are essential before greatness can be bestowed, but I would concur that Peter Stone had them all.

I was fortunate to know Peter in his latter years and I've been around long enough, met many different people with many strong qualities but I can honestly say I've never met anyone with such qualities as Peter.

As a matter of interest, Fred Crouch attended a meeting in Oxford yesterday with regard to the establishing a lasting commemoration to Peter in the form of a plaque to go on the bridge over the Thames at Wolvercote. I'll keep you informed of our progress.

Also, due to the generosity of so many the Barbel Society is proud to be able to present to Sue Stone at our conference a substantial cheque to go to a charity of her choice.

In conclusion as far as I'm concerned anyone who earns the right to be called "great" is a special person indeed, and for an angler it is about much much more than just the catching of the most or biggest fish, especially in this day and age.

All the best.