Guiding points for all new members

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
This thread is for help, tips and advice on either -

A) Posting in the forums
B) Looking for advice in forum posts
C) Looking for advice in articles on the website.
D) Looking for how to post pictures etc.
E) Anything else that new members might feel will be helpful.

-------------------------------------------------

Please feel free to post or start a new thread on whatever subject you like that is fishing related or if not about fishing, then create the new thread in Bait Box (and make sure it complies with all of our rules on decency, please!) and you must be over 18!

To create a new thread - go to the section of the forums that most suits the topic you want to discuss/ask about. Above the banner "THREADS IN FORUM" you will see a clicky "New Thread", click on that and complete the segments with a title and your post (at least ten characters minimum and maximum of ten smilies - you get smilies by going "Advanced")

To search the forums or the articles try "SEARCH FM" from the top banner which offers several alternatives.

Other members are free to post their tips hereunder........ :)

Last edited:

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Posting Images and Videos

There are two areas within FM to post images:

1. On a Forum Thread
You cannot upload direct from your PC. You need to create a FishingMagic Album in the Gallery or use an Image Hosting site such as:

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket
or
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

• Copy the image file location.
  • Paste that location into the Insert Image tool located at the top of the Post New Thread or Reply to Thread box.
  • Click OK
You can preview by clicking the Preview Post button below the box.

2. Uploading to the FM Galleries
You can upload direct from your PC.

File size is limited to 200kb. If you need to resize your images, this free, easy to use tool, is very good:

Image resizing, do it with PIXresizer

• Select Gallery from the FM Menu Bar
  • Select Upload Photo from the drop down menu
  • Select which Gallery you wish to use from the drop down menu in the Upload Photo box
  • Browse your PC to select the file to upload
  • Add any relevant text details
  • Click Upload/Submit

• Sometimes (!) it is then necessary to refresh the Gallery/Upload Photo page.
  • You will then see item(s) in Images in your queue in the Fishingmagic Gallery Image Upload box.
  • Select Upload/Submit to complete the process

Last edited:

chav professor

Reaction score
hi Neil,

i have uploaded a picture and would like to use it as a profile picture. how is this done?

kind regards,

Christian

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
hi Neil,

i have uploaded a picture and would like to use it as a profile picture. how is this done?

kind regards,

Christian

Hi,

The Profile Picture needs to be a small image (100 x 100 pixels or 64kb whichever is smaller).

I assume its the chub picture you want - nice fish by the way! But that image is too big.

So it needs resizing. I use a free piece of software called Pixresizer. It's easy to use and is available here:

PIXresizer - Download

I suggest cropping your picture first so that it just includes you, the chub, rod/reel.

Load it into Pixresizer and select the new size required.
Save As a new file to preserve the original.
(This might take a few attempts to create the right file size)

Once you have your new picture file sign on to FM and:

• Select User CP (from the top menu)
  • Select Edit Profile Picture from the first box (Your Profile) on the left hand side
  • Option Two is probable easiest. Browse your PC for the correct location of the new picture - select it
  • Select Save Changes
That should do it. Your new Profile Picture should be displayed in that box and on all your posts.

Let me know if you need any help.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
It is always helpful when new members on their first post give a brief introduction of themselves outlining their preferred type of fishing and venues .

hear hear slime, and I personally like to see your location , through seeing a members location I have met a few members who are local to me and been on fishing days , in fact I am fishing with a member today and showing him a local venue he didn't know existed......

bones71

Reaction score
evening,new member here and pretty much new to the net as well.i enjoy all manner of coarse fishing,the atmosphere,location and a decent brew count a bit as well.probably none too keen on crowded places

shopionics

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this ! .... :)

This thread is for help, tips and advice on either -

A) Posting in the forums
B) Looking for advice in forum posts
C) Looking for advice in articles on the website.
D) Looking for how to post pictures etc.
E) Anything else that new members might feel will be helpful.

-------------------------------------------------

Please feel free to post or start a new thread on whatever subject you like that is fishing related or if not about fishing, then create the new thread in Bait Box (and make sure it complies with all of our rules on decency, please!) and you must be over 18!

To create a new thread - go to the section of the forums that most suits the topic you want to discuss/ask about. Above the banner "THREADS IN FORUM" you will see a clicky "New Thread", click on that and complete the segments with a title and your post (at least ten characters minimum and maximum of ten smilies - you get smilies by going "Advanced")

To search the forums or the articles try "SEARCH FM" from the top banner which offers several alternatives.

Other members are free to post their tips hereunder........ :)

fishperch

Reaction score
Hello guys, im a new member and really think this website will be benificial to me as im quite new to fishing. Im always worried about asking too many questions or having bad spelling/ grammer as ive got dyslexia and asd. I find fishing really relaxing appart from when you lose a fish or get snagged.

I got into fishing by a day trip to the sheephouse manor fishery near bolters lock in maidenhead. Whilst i was there i was pared up with grown up fishermen who showed me all of the equiptment and explained what it was all for, i forgot most of it so i went into one of my favroute tackle shops in amersham. I started off with a leeder 13 foot float carp match rod . For fishing in the thames in the free fishing section with no sucess as my dad would only let me reel i. A fish and he would do the rest from casting to baiting the hook, he never plumbed the depth which always puzzled me after a bit of research was done, i am now a marlow angling club member and fish with my friend. Who had plently of experence fishing where as my dad had none!.

My favroute fish are perch
My favroute all round bait is maggots and hotdog slices
I dont perticilly like fishing the thames in marlow as its verry fast in the winter when i went. Id rather catch 3-10 lb fish than huge big ones.
I appoligeise in advance for any thick sounding questions with an ovious answer or bad english skills or typos ( i use my mobile )

Thanks, tyler

mickrigney

Reaction score

Hi Everyone, just joined fishing magic. I enjoy all types of fishing except commercials but I accept they do have a part to play in fishing.
I do a bit of bream & tench fishing but am currently fishing the Trent for roach, not had any big one's but lots of them all on the float & 'pin very enjoyable. It makes a welcome change from sitting behind three rods for three days. Hope to make a contribution to the forum.
Tight Lines
Mick Rigney

fishperch

Reaction score
Hello guys, im a new member and really think this website will be benificial to me as im quite new to fishing. Im always worried about asking too many questions or having bad spelling/ grammer as ive got dyslexia and asd. I find fishing really relaxing appart from when you lose a fish or get snagged. I got into fishing by a day trip to the sheephouse manor fishery near bolters lock in maidenhead. Whilst i was there i was pared up with grown up fishermen who showed me all of the equiptment and explained what it was all for, i forgot most of it so i went into one of my favroute tackle shops in amersham. I started off with a leeder 13 foot float carp match rod . For fishing in the thames in the free fishing section with no sucess as my dad would only let me reel i. A fish and he would do the rest from casting to baiting the hook, he never plumbed the depth which always puzzled me after a bit of research was done, i am now a marlow angling club member and fish with my friend. Who had plently of experence fishing where as my dad had none!. My favroute fish are perch My favroute all round bait is maggots and hotdog slices I dont perticilly like fishing the thames in marlow as its verry fast in the winter when i went. Id rather catch 3-10 lb fish than huge big ones. I appoligeise in advance for any thick sounding questions with an ovious answer or bad english skills or typos ( i use my mobile ) Thanks, tyler
i may retry the thames soon tho

Last edited:

boilies for beginners

Reaction score
Hi there all I'm new to this and I'm trying to get used to how it all works ..I like carp fishing and making my own boilies I'm very new to this to but I'm willing to help others if think it's to hard and as cheap as I can without big shopping list recipes that can scare some people off even give it a try ..so only basic recipes for the beginners ..think that's about it from me kind regards to all