hampshire avon

Tim -

Reaction score
hale_and_lifespan_fishing_and_fishes_aug_07_pus_grass_004.jpg

hampshire avon in summer

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Also, Tim, your photo, inyour album,of Ellingham shows one of my favourite stretches of all time. Just upstream of the bridge and around the corner was a superb barbel swim (but that was back in the late 1970's early 1980's!)./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Tim -

Reaction score
Yes it's hale bridge, but it looks alot better when it's full size i had to down size it to put it on the site. The big tree in the back ground with all the mistletoe on is where i saw a huge barbel just a few feet from the bank; thought it was a pike it was so big, and the chub under the bridge looked massive too. Hale is my favourite place on the avon (when there isn't a thousend kids swiming by the bridge!).

Neil, was that "richard walkers swim"? I have read about it being somewhere near the bridge at ellingham.

tim

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Tim - wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Neil, was that "richard walkers swim"? I have read about it being somewhere near the bridge at ellingham.

tim</blockquote>

Not heard of that one. One of my favourites was just out of view on your photo. Upstream, right hand bank, walking through the trees to reach the river just on the first bend. A bit of a point with a big tree, nice trotting swim shallowing up towards the bridge. Many a barbel and chub from there!

What a memory! I last fished it in 1987, approx 5 years before you were born!/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

I feel very old./forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif

Tim -

Reaction score
" Two hundred yards upstream of ellingham bridge, the river flows over wide gravel shallows, which suddenly narrows to half it's width, and there the speed of the current increases as the water is funneled through this bottle neck. Opposite, the far bang is overhung with large trees, and the shallow water beneath is almost still creating ideal cover for barbel. The near bank, however is the most important feature from the anglers piont of view: the water having passed through the bottle neck then turns on itself to create a lovely eddy, which flows over a clean, sandy bottom"

Could this be the spot you were reffering to?

From what I know, ellingham is pretty hard for barbel these days,but i caught some chub on the couple of visits i took there, and i think over people fish it for chub.

Thanks for the information/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Tim

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I know where that is! Further upstream and some very good looking water there. The Avon is a very different place nowas is the Stour. But both hold some superb fish and are worthy of a lot of attention.

Later on in the new season, I shall be fishing RDAA waters a lot more, above Ibsley Bridge and parts of Severals will both be on my list.

The Somerley Estate still holds good numbers of chub/barbel particularly the top end below Ibsley Bridge and the "Island" created by the weir, main river and side stream. I assume Christchurch AC still controls Somerley.