hardwick lakes (millers pond)

steve80

Reaction score
hello everyone

i have recently been told that hardwick lake(s) was netted by the NT in 2012 and the fish was sold to other venues.
i believe this to be true as ive also just found an article in the chad form a few years back.

does anyone know if either of the 2 lakes is worth a go in the next few week?
i used to bag up on bream and tench off the wall on the bottom lake and carp to over 15lb but when i went in aug 2012 i could hardly get a bite. coming from an 18 hr session with one bite and one carp of 6lb.
many thanks ..steve...

B

binka

It seems a short period of time to recover without stocking, if that's the case (and I suspect it is, I can't see 'em taking fish out to put some back in) but I can confirm that the netting took place and that it had a dire impact on the fishing.

I was stung by the National Trust, they happily took my ticket money following the netting and sale of fish to other venues without telling me that this had taken place and the venue (the lower lake) was practically dead compared to pre-netting days... I had a single bite from a 4oz roach compared to good bags of silvers including roach, bream and perch prior to the netting.

I fished the lake regularly prior to their sneaky, money grabbing stunt but I haven't been back since.

If the National Trust had known about my roach I have little doubt they would have had the nets out again after it, it must grieve them to know that they left something of value in there. :rolleyes:

You can't trust the National Mis-Trust. :(

Edited to add:

I don't like the National Mis-Trust!

Last edited:

steve80

Reaction score
It seems a short period of time to recover without stocking, if that's the case (and I suspect it is, I can't see 'em taking fish out to put some back in) but I can confirm that the netting took place and that it had a dire impact on the fishing.

I was stung by the National Trust, they happily took my ticket money following the netting and sale of fish to other venues without telling me that this had taken place and the venue (the lower lake) was practically dead compared to pre-netting days... I had a single bite from a 4oz roach compared to good bags of silvers including roach, bream and perch prior to the netting.

I fished the lake regularly prior to their sneaky, money grabbing stunt but I haven't been back since.

If the National Trust had known about my roach I have little doubt they would have had the nets out again after it, it must grieve them to know that they left something of value in there. :rolleyes:

Edited to add:

I should explain that I am very anti National Mis-Trust, not particularly for this stunt (although it is a shining example) but for the preclusion of the average working family, from grounds that it owns, via ridiculously over pricing by the tweed and country hat brigade which run it.

Money is their God.

By their scare mongering that these places will no longer be available to the general public they have in effect priced many of them out of it and brought about the same end result unless you bow to their financial blackmail and pay them even more to buy an annual subscription which is practically useless to your average Sunday afternoon day tripper.

They effectively run a third sector privatisation scheme and anyone serious about protecting access for the general public would not possibly pursue this kind of policy.

Financially greedy scum and if that doesn’t sit well with some then so be it.

I can afford to pay their entry fees but I know many that can't and the average, hard to do family should be able to enjoy their heritage without some money belted, Nazi capped idiot waving a money tin at them from a century barrier.

Rant over :)
lol thanks for the reply, i dont like the crafty stunt they have pulled either,it used to be such a lovely venue to fish. im not going back there then to waste more money if thats what the NT are like (liars and swindlers) i hope they dont ever find out about your roach either lol. cheers for the info.

flightliner

Reaction score

Edited to add:

Spot on Steve, theyre all take and no put back !.

B

binka

Steve80...

If you're looking for some local alternative venues I'm sure you already know some of these but one or two might be new to you:

Reed Mill - Sheepbridge Lane, well run with key to locked gates, season ticket only with day and night tickets available. Mainly a carp fishery nowadays but lots of good roach, bream, tench and perch which are often overlooked, to mention but a few. Very much a feeling of being in your own little world amongst the greenery considering its location.

Berry Hill Park - Amazing place for such a small lake, stuffed with roach some of which are well over a pound and a half along with tench and some supersized goldfish and fantails from owners who have got fed up with 'em, a few small carp too. Day ticket from the cabin beside the running track.

Vicar Water - Some decent sized carp to upper 20's but nice all round fishing, night fishing is permitted but you will be locked in by barriers which are opened at varying times seasonally, day tickets on the bank.

L Lakes - Very similar to the above, the far match lake is very peaceful, day tickets on the bank.

Park Hall, Woodhouse - Nice ancient lake with some good crucians, mainly shallow but good mixed fishing with some carp thrown in too. Open matches on a Wednesday & Sunday, otherwise ticket money in an envelope and car reg written on before posting on entry (not before dawn).

Langwith Lodge - A nice set of four wooded lakes, the main lake is a few acres and very nice. I've only had one session on there last winter but will be going back, carp, stillwater barbel, some good perch and a fair few wild brownies amongst the usual stuff. Day ticket on the bank no entry before 7am

Field Mill Dam - If you don't mind the occasional feeling of being in bandit territory there's some good fishing to be had and free. It got pillaged by EE's a few years ago now but seems to be recovering well.

steve80

Reaction score
Steve80...

If you're looking for some local alternative venues I'm sure you already know some of these but one or two might be new to you:

Reed Mill - Sheepbridge Lane, well run with key to locked gates, season ticket only with day and night tickets available. Mainly a carp fishery nowadays but lots of good roach, bream, tench and perch which are often overlooked, to mention but a few. Very much a feeling of being in your own little world amongst the greenery considering its location.

Berry Hill Park - Amazing place for such a small lake, stuffed with roach some of which are well over a pound and a half along with tench and some supersized goldfish and fantails from owners who have got fed up with 'em, a few small carp too. Day ticket from the cabin beside the running track.

Vicar Water - Some decent sized carp to upper 20's but nice all round fishing, night fishing is permitted but you will be locked in by barriers which are opened at varying times seasonally, day tickets on the bank.

L Lakes - Very similar to the above, the far match lake is very peaceful, day tickets on the bank.

Park Hall, Woodhouse - Nice ancient lake with some good crucians, mainly shallow but good mixed fishing with some carp thrown in too. Open matches on a Wednesday & Sunday, otherwise ticket money in an envelope and car reg written on before posting on entry (not before dawn).

Langwith Lodge - A nice set of four wooded lakes, the main lake is a few acres and very nice. I've only had one session on there last winter but will be going back, carp, stillwater barbel, some good perch and a fair few wild brownies amongst the usual stuff. Day ticket on the bank no entry before 7am

Field Mill Dam - If you don't mind the occasional feeling of being in bandit territory there's some good fishing to be had and free. It got pillaged by EE's a few years ago now but seems to be recovering well.
ha ha funny you mention reed mill as im a member there, yes its a 3acre pond with some nice carp and tench and pike. i pulled a 17lb out there last week. and my first ever time fishing was at the field mill dam, used to be a lovely little pond, in 1993 i had a roach of 3lb 02oz off the sandbank,still have the photos somewhere. ive fished all the lakes you mentioned, park hall is not a bad venue if your looking for the smaller carp,i remember a golf ball come wizzing by my head last year as there is a golf course directly behind me as you will know. but langworth lodge i might give another try, glad you mentioned that actually as i forgot about it. have you ever heard of a rather small pond in glapwell next to the plug and feathers? i cannot remember the name of it but it was a lovely little pond with good head of tench and some nice big carp but i heard it was suffering some kind of leak and the fishing was stopped. i think it was called stockley pond or something to that effect.anyway cheers for reminding me about the lodge. im off to the A1 pits on friday so when i get back i will go for the day at the lodge :)

B

binka

ha ha funny you mention reed mill as im a member there, yes its a 3acre pond with some nice carp and tench and pike. i pulled a 17lb out there last week. and my first ever time fishing was at the field mill dam, used to be a lovely little pond, in 1993 i had a roach of 3lb 02oz off the sandbank,still have the photos somewhere. ive fished all the lakes you mentioned, park hall is not a bad venue if your looking for the smaller carp,i remember a golf ball come wizzing by my head last year as there is a golf course directly behind me as you will know. but langworth lodge i might give another try, glad you mentioned that actually as i forgot about it. have you ever heard of a rather small pond in glapwell next to the plug and feathers? i cannot remember the name of it but it was a lovely little pond with good head of tench and some nice big carp but i heard it was suffering some kind of leak and the fishing was stopped. i think it was called stockley pond or something to that effect.anyway cheers for reminding me about the lodge. im off to the A1 pits on friday so when i get back i will go for the day at the lodge :)

Never fished the lake at Glapwell Steve but I know Baz who ran the garden centre behind the Young Vanish had a lake somewhere down there, maybe the same one?

Reed Mill and Field Mill were my first ever places, I think Reed was then called Johnson's or Hosiery Mills pond before a bit of historical investigation by the late John Colgan, who ran it alongside Vaughan, returned it to its original Reed Mill name and the pump house was always the hot peg back in those days but it's a much improved fishery now.

Some good lads down there :)

steve80

Reaction score
Never fished the lake at Glapwell Steve but I know Baz who ran the garden centre behind the Young Vanish had a lake somewhere down there, maybe the same one?

Reed Mill and Field Mill were my first ever places, I think Reed was then called Johnson's or Hosiery Mills pond before a bit of historical investigation by the late John Colgan, who ran it alongside Vaughan, returned it to its original Reed Mill name and the pump house was always the hot peg back in those days but it's a much improved fishery now.

Some good lads down there :)
yes ive met a couple of decent lads there, my misses used to work with vaughan at whitleys electronics on victoria street. yes i looked over the dam wall the other day,used to see lots bream and carp.saw just the one lonely mirror there :( being a westfield lane life long resident i grew up around the kings mill reservoir and field mill and had big carp out of both, ive been a member at reed mill just a month or so.heard about the late john colgan and from what ive been told he was a good man who kept the pond in great condition as does vaughan. peg 1 is the hot peg for me the first peg on the road side behind the houses. :wh

---------- Post added at 10:43 ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 ----------

as regards the pond back of young vanish which i think is stockley lane pond or glapwell pit pond as ive heard it called, is apparantly unfishable,i need to get my head in gear and go and check it out as it was a beautiful little pond simular size to reedmill maybe a little bigger. ill also have a walk around hardwick lakes and tell the NT what i think of their devious ways of conning people out there ££s

steve80

Reaction score

Edited to add:

Hey binka.looks like they found out about your roach after all. As I've been told the NT have once again netted the lakes 2 years ago' so yes you were right about them wanting your roach. Discussing.

steve80

Reaction score
Hey binka.looks like they found out about your roach after all. As I've been told the NT have once again netted the lakes 2 years ago' so yes you were right about them wanting your roach. Discussing.
Disgusting*

Aknib

Reaction score
Lol, nothing surprises me Steve.

Pleased you posted that as I was only talking about Hardwick with a lad from work the other day and whether or not it might have recovered and be worth another try but it would seem not.

Thanks for the heads up, I've heard that King's Mill res has now been dredged but I haven't been up there for a look although I did fish Field Mill last week and it was very off form, difficult with the high amount of weed too.

I'm just glad the rivers are now open again, a shame about the timing with the rain though... I may have to re-think my plans for a weekend session.