Harrison rods/ blanks

Reaction score
I must say,I dont like 2 piece 12ft rods,I have two three piece(detachable butts),1.25lb t.c. a Normark Bob James Barbel rod with two tips and a Leslies Insight 1.25lb t.c. same format but with just one tip built on Harrison blanks,both lovely rods,but on the light side for todays barbel fishing(apart from venues like i'm fishing locally),my personal preference these days is for 11fters,of which I have three,1.75lb Torrix,1lb 6oz Avon Perfection and a 1.5lb Sulis,I prefer the former,but all three are good tools....

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
The only Harrison rods I had were bought around 30 years ago, a 12' spliced tip GTI match rod ,sliding reel fittings
And a 13' spliced tip GTI match rod,sliding reel fittings.
I was offered the prototype canal rod from Harrisons shop in Liverpool as well. That rod was very similar in design to the Drennan chrystalite,in that it had a removable butt. I think Harrisons did not market this design due to dispute or something along those lines with Drennan.
Both GTI rods handled carp to low doubles on light line and small hooks.
I have now sold them, both still being used, the 13' on the Ribble around Tickled Trout area, the 12' on commercials and canals.

Last edited:

hague01

Reaction score
Might I suggest you consider a), a padded rod sleeve, b) tip and toe rod protectors c),not fishing in a jungle and d) use the Preston ICS system where there is never any weight on the tip in transportation.
Only D is the sensible suggestion but seriously its a pointer I was given last year. Quite magical although now guru do the hybrids, again no weight on the tip. Having broken so many unbreakable Daiwa £45mtq tips I was keen to get away from them before I went bankrupt !
They key is the strain on the tip. I am sure there are others than the two I use, but that's the kernel with out doubt for me.

chevin4

Reaction score
The only Harrison rods I had were bought around 30 years ago, a 12' spliced tip GTI match rod ,sliding reel fittings
And a 13' spliced tip GTI match rod,sliding reel fittings.
I was offered the prototype canal rod from Harrisons shop in Liverpool as well. That rod was very similar in design to the Drennan chrystalite,in that it had a removable butt. I think Harrisons did not market this design due to dispute or something along those lines with Drennan.
Both GTI rods handled carp to low doubles on light line and small hooks.
I have now sold them, both still being used, the 13' on the Ribble around Tickled Trout area, the 12' on commercials and canals.
I believe the canal rod went into production and had a spliced tip. The version with a std tip was more powerful and known as the 11ft 6inch Explorer sadly no longer produced. This is one of the few rods I own that I wouldn't get rid of. The tip is very fine so makes a great leger rod for chub and also a lovely float rod for perch it is a true through action rod some while back I had a second tip made up to take Drennan tips. I use it for trotting for roach and chub on small streams where a longer rod is unwieldy.

mikench

Reaction score
As stated previously. I would rather spend / waste 10 minutes on the bank setting up a rod than break a tip.

Ps Better make that 20 Minutes ;) :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Reaction score
I agree Mike,I did it once with a titan 2000,never again,at least then you could buy a new tip,now the rod would be junked....