Help... Cheese Paste Ingredients

J

John Pleasance

I fished a very hard stretch of the Hants Avon a couple of years ago for about six weeks in the autumn and eventually caught a 12.2 barbel on cheesepaste whilst chubbing.About a week later in the same swim I had another double on cheesepaste -a pike.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Nice fish on chub gear eh? I remember reading in the angling weeklies about perch regularly being caught on it as well... strange.

M

Martin Wright

John, a simple summer recipe for the summer is 50/50 white bread and mature cheddar whizzed up in the liquidizer. You could add a flavour though I never bother.

good for summer/Autumn but useless in winter because it goes too hard.

Whilst on, anyone know where I can get garlic oil? - I've tried everywhere.

A

andrew jackson

Many of the carp baits manufacturers offer essential oils, Nutrabaits for sure sell garlic oil, they also sell a garlic and blue cheese oil. You used to be able to get garlic oil in capsules from most health shops and chemists, but they all appear to be odourless these days.

J

John Pleasance

Thank you Martin I'll give it a go.

I eventually got some of the garlic that Mick Wood raves about in Coarse Fisherman I can't buy it locally but my wife tracked it down eventually to :-

Healthilife Ltd.
Charlestown House
Baildon
Shipley BD17 7JS

Don't have a phone No. sorry.

It's called Gem garlic drops and its liquid concentrated garlic mixed with soya oil it really hums ! Oh yeah and its cheap

J

John Pleasance

And it comes in a plastic garlic bulb a bit like a jif lemon if that makes sense.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Well I made my cheese paste and now I have a blob of the brightest pink paste you've ever seen. I kept adding the red colouring but it wouldn't go red...just a louder pink, I also had to add pellet powder (first thing I found that I could use)to it as I couldn't get the concistancy right. I've hidden it in the freezer for the next time I go. Does cheese paste firm up any after freezing as it's still quite soft, Like very soft putty.

W

Wendy Perry

Rodney when i had a go at making mine it was like yours a bit putty like ...when i got it out of freezer and defrosted it.. it went ok but when i got to the bank it was soft again... but if you break a peice off roll it in your hands it went a bit harder and the paste i didn't use when i got home i added some cornflour to it and it was ok after that ;)

J

John Pleasance

What colouring did you use Rodney ?I use "Richworth concentrated powder colouring" which is very potent.If I want orange cheesepaste I have to use about 1/20th.of red to yellow, it is so strong.
Why are you freezing it?It will mature quite nicely in the fridge-keeps for weeks.
It will be soft just after you have mixed it but will firm up when it's been out of your hot little hands for a while.I've just realised that if you have put pellet powder in the mix then you probably ought to freeze it between trips.

B

Barry Kneller

The best cheese paste I ever used was some yrs ago whilst camping at Helperby on the Swale - we only evr used to use lobs or Luncheon meat then - but this particular week the river was lower than I had ever seen it & all the Chub & Barbel were deep in the snags and not responding too well. I thought I'd try cheese to try & draw them out. Just plain cheddar mixed with day old bread. Anyway it didn't work & somehow the tub of CP ended up on the parcel shelf of the car. About 3 days later I detected an awful aroma (very hot that week)in the car & thought that I'd better throw it out - it was really 'orrible. Good sense prevailed & I tried some on the hook. It was amazing, it didn't matter where abouts in the river that you cast the Chub were on it in minutes. I have tried to duplicate this super smelly CP many times since but have not succeeded in getting the same disgusting, slimy substance.

The nearest that I smelled to this was when a friend tried adding Butyric Acid (made from rancid butter - I think) to plain bread paste - said that the chub loved it but had to stop using it cos his missus wouldn't let back in the house!

D

Del Jarman

Barry, on a bait video by Keith Arthur he advices smelly cheese melted with a LITTLE drop of water, & mixed with bread crumb, then wrapped in foil chucked in your box, or whatever and forgoten for as long as possible. when you go to use it it should be covered in a horrible skin & stink to high heaven. He reckons it is magic. It sounds to me a lot like your bait. I hope this is of some help.

Del.

R

Rodney Wrestt

John,
I used a colouring from the catering trade a mate gave me to try, guess what I'll be buying from the carp section next time I'm in the tackle shop. I found that when kneeding in the mix it became vary tacky but when I put it down to get bags for it by the time I picked it up again it was a bit firmer, is the colouring you use liquid or powder and does it make a difference to the consistancy?

I used the pellet powder 'cause I use it when making other pastes and I can control the consistancy of the end product, I guess it's through experience of making the same paste again and again but with the cheese and pastry I was in a right mess and when the colouring went in I was kneeding and spraying red on the counter and walls...oh yeah it was red on everything but the paste.

Del,
Is that in the "Fish for a quid video"?

D

Del Jarman

Roders,
That's the one mate. Proves you dont have to use the latest high tec. baits all the time.

Del.

D

David Will

Avoid Van Den Eynde HI Viz red. I bought some for paste. On opening I found a very vivid red. I used it and it seemed very good.Next time I went to use it the vivid red had turned to brown. I told my tackle dealer who opened a sealed tub, guess what brown bait dye.

R

Rodney Wrestt

The colour I used was a very deep red in the tub and on my hands and every thing I squirted it onto while kneeding the paste and hit a pocket of colouring, it just dosen't seem to be potent enough to change the shade of the paste beyond a day glow pink........... oh noooo.

I'm thinking I may have been the victim of a prank as the container it is in is not the original and doen't have a lable on it .grrrrr
or maybe I'm just too suspisious, I'll remove his gag and blinfold and ask him, it's only fair to give him a chance before having him set up in a bow case with his concrete wellies.

D

Del Jarman

Roders, why dont you send the pink paste to Wendy, she will probably think it is very becoming for a lady.
I expect she would bag up on it as well,female hormones and all that. LOL Wendy.

Del.

J

John Pleasance

Rodney, the "Richworth concentrated powder colouring" is,guess what ? It's POWDER mate.
The quantity I would use for a pound of cheesepaste would be so small as to have no effect on the consistency at all,it would be a level teaspoonful at the very most.
Cheesepaste does get a bit sticky when you make it but not normally to the extent that you seem to be describing.Try rolling the pastry out as thin as possible, smear with flavour if required then grate the cheese on to it,roll the whole lot up and knead till smooth.If it gets a bit sticky wash the gunge off your hands and leave it to cool for a while.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Cheers John,
L.O.L.
Note to self........READ what the posts say.