Help need on the correct names

iain t

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice and information. I very soft rub with very fine wet n dry cleaned it up nicely. Doesn't look brand new but on a 70's rod i didn't want it to. I bought a cheap pair of sliding collars/ winch fitting whatever you call them. The only problem is i need to roll up a Rizla packet to get a tight fitting. They don't seem to be made for a fine foot of a centre pin

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice and information. I very soft rub with very fine wet n dry cleaned it up nicely. Doesn't look brand new but on a 70's rod i didn't want it to. I bought a cheap pair of sliding collars/ winch fitting whatever you call them. The only problem is i need to roll up a Rizla packet to get a tight fitting. They don't seem to be made for a fine foot of a centre pin

Get your self an old allcocks aerial type reel or even a CL and your bands should be a snug fit ;)......

The Bewick was just ok lol...

mikench

Reaction score
I think "winch fitting" is a much older term, Walton talked about "Winches", that should have died out when the "Nottingham Winch" - a wooden reel that looked like a centre-pin except that the drum was retained on the axle by a nut - became superseded by the true centre-pin which runs on the tip of the pin, and the term "reel" gradually expanded to cover all rotating line-holders, including fixed-spools.
The modern abominations that hold the reel/winch on with one fixed band and one movable one locked by a threaded collet are "Reel seats" surely?
I don't like them because they don't let you put the reel on sideways, which can make all the difference if it's windy and wet. Not that I fish much in such conditions nowadays, (nesh git) but it's nice to have the option.

Walton had a Black Country accent and when referring to winches he meant ladies of the night;)