Hi I am 73 years old and fished since 8 years old. I now like to refurbish old cane rods and Mitchell 300/301 reels

steve2

Reaction score
I think you will find that guides and blanks provide vintage style rings to spiltcane builders but not in red.

Old fisher

Reaction score
A couple of months ago I gave a complete set of clear agate rings to a friend and out of the 8 rings the second smallest was broken. that was the reason I wanted rid of them

Old fisher

Reaction score
The S/U in the name means 'Stepped Up' so I wouldn't be surprised that it could be used for Pike angling and which could cast a dead bait or live bait out and pull home the hooks better than a standard MKIV carp rod.

I have a B. James & Son Richard Walker MKIV Carp rod on which I caught my first Barbel and my first Double figure Carp on back in the 1970s.

Keith
Hi Keith M. I have just been going over the old conversations I had about the B James SU MK1V and realised you said SU meant Stepped Up, but that is not what B James say. They say it is Scaled Up. Which means a more defined increase in power from the MK1V Carp and not just thicker
have just become a member after browsing this site and seeing an old in mention about B James & Son S U MK1V rod. I noticed that members were calling it a Carp rod.
However, in a copy of an old B James & Son price list they never said the rod was a carp rod. In fact they state and I Quote " S/U MARK 1V FOR PIKE.Trolling and light sea work" Also saying, " Ideal for offshore or rock fishing for pollock and bass. It is capable of handling large pike and casting a bait a great distance"
As I am a new member, please forgive me if this subject has already been covered in the past. I welcome any replies that may correct me or help increase my knowledge of the subject. I do actually own 6 B James MK1V rods = 1 x S/U 2 x Avon and 3 x Carp