Hi

Keith M

Reaction score
Hi John, welcome to the forum.

If there is any help with your fishing that you need then don’t hesitate to ask; as there’s some very good and very helpful anglers on this forum.

I Look forward to reading your posts

Keith

John3852

Reaction score
Hi John, welcome to the forum.

If there is any help with your fishing that you need then don’t hesitate to ask; as there’s some very good and very helpful anglers on this forum.

I Look forward to reading your posts

Keith
Thanks Keith

jon atkinson

Reaction score
Hi John - there's a few of us on here that used to fish, fell away for a while (going on 20 years in my case!) then came back to the fold. Welcome to the forum and enjoy the wealth of experience & knowledge here...

John3852

Reaction score
Hi John - there's a few of us on here that used to fish, fell away for a while (going on 20 years in my case!) then came back to the fold. Welcome to the forum and enjoy the wealth of experience & knowledge here...
Thanks Jon. New to the sport, I bought my (current) rod and tackle back ‘88 and probably used it no more than a dozen times before consigning it permanently to storage (‘89). Now I’ve taken early retirement I have decided to take it up and start all over again. Basically I’m using the same rod, reel and tackle, with just a few new additions - decent fishing chair, and some new floats etc. So to all intents and purposes I’m starting all over again, but utilising the myriad of online video. Eventually I’ll probably pop up with a silly question 😂

keora

Reaction score
John, where do you intend to go fishing, you might be able to get advice here. There's a lot more commercial lakes available to fish compared with when you last fished.

John3852

Reaction score
Hi Keora, been fishing here https://www.birkwoodfisheries.co.uk/ a couple of times each week whilst I gain some experience. Only fished the main lake so far using a waggler and tend to get several bites each time. Will be going again this week and trying out using a method feeder to see how that goes 🤞🤞

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Given the number of pools what is your rationale for fishing the main lake?

Typically on these type of venues the main lake is stocked with larger carp whereas the smaller pools are usually more of a mixed fishery and more suited to float fishing.

John3852

Reaction score
Hi Peter, if I’m honest it was the first lake I came to when I arrived with the added convenience of parking next to your peg. Fish wish, I have caught a selection of fish each time - roach, bream etc, so for a beginner I’m achieving my objective 😂. As I gain confidence in what I’m doing I will look at trying the other lakes.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Forget the main lake for now , Birkwood has smaller pools , carp in a couple can go to high doubles ,but they don't state how many of that weight are on them , the average eight could be between 5lb and 10lb.
The smaller pools will be ok for the method , cast to island or far bank, creating a couple of swims , one could be more productive than the other.ask if fishery pellets only . Use a good groundbait in feeder or sonubaits 2mm stiki pellets soaked if allowed to use own pellets , corn ,bread or hard pellets or worm on hook will catch . Don't forget to bait margins up , using one bait in right hand margin and another in left hand margin, again one will be more productive than the other. You can use method feeder in the margins as well, plus set a float rod up.
You will catch . I have even used a method feeder on the pole to the far side when conditions were getting to bad to hold float steady , ended up with a high double figure weight of fish in a match , I think it was mid 50lb or just shy of 60lb , Won the match by trying something different .
There are some good commercials in Yorkshire depending on where is convenient for you . I have fished a few up there and had good sport on them all.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
A lot of major brands now make shorter rods especially for using method feeder or straight lead on the smaller pools of commercials . They are not expensive , I don't know what rods you use at the moment, but there is no need for 2oz and 3oz tips for the pools ,one of 1oz or 1.5oz will do. Reels don't have to be heavy duty carp reels , I use 30+ years old Shimano 4010 baitrunner.and occasionally a Shimano Nasci 4000 or Shimano 4000 fd baitrunner.Again line of 5lb or 6lb will suffice, let the rod do the work , Guru N guage line or Guru drag line is good, or cheap n cheerful Daiwa Sensor .
If you need any more info I will be happy to help and I suppose a couple of other commercial fishermen will as well.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Thanks Jon. New to the sport, I bought my (current) rod and tackle back ‘88 and probably used it no more than a dozen times before consigning it permanently to storage (‘89). Now I’ve taken early retirement I have decided to take it up and start all over again. Basically I’m using the same rod, reel and tackle, with just a few new additions - decent fishing chair, and some new floats etc. So to all intents and purposes I’m starting all over again, but utilising the myriad of online video. Eventually I’ll probably pop up with a silly question 😂
Regardless of age of your rod and reel they should be fine. . Don't be afraid to ask questions , every day is a learning day for us all.

John3852

Reaction score
Hi Mark, thanks for the advice - appreciated. I recently purchased a new Preston Ignition 10ft Carp Feeder, Daiwa Ninja 3000 Match/Feeder reel. I’m not aware of any restrictions on using specific bait brands so I’ve bought some sonubait 2mm micropellets ground bait Band’um sinkers and sinking pellet additive ahead of trying out a method feeder

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Hi Mark, thanks for the advice - appreciated. I recently purchased a new Preston Ignition 10ft Carp Feeder, Daiwa Ninja 3000 Match/Feeder reel. I’m not aware of any restrictions on using specific bait brands so I’ve bought some sonubait 2mm micropellets ground bait Band’um sinkers and sinking pellet additive ahead of trying out a method feeder
Good choice of rod and reel , seeing as reel is not a baitrunner have drag set slightly soft so rod won't get pulled off the rests , or invest in a rear grippa rest . Preston do a good one and I think matrix have brought out similar design .
It's not bait brands at fisheries , some insist on their own feed pellets . And in my opinion it's a con . Most use coppens or skrettings yet insist you use theirs , you could go to two fisheries that insist on their pellets and find they are coppens or skrettings .
I and lots of others buy a bag , usually has fishery name on it . Keep the bag and top up with pellets from local tackle shop .