hook sharpener

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I've been checking my lure and the ones with trebbles on splilt rings can be replaced easily when not as sharp as I'd like but some of my soft plastic lures have one large in built hook - how do you sharpen these ?

I've thought of using a dart point sharpener

john step

Reaction score
You can get hook sharpeners quite easily in tackle shops or on the bay. I dont know what a dart one looks like but hook ones are flat and have a different grade on each side.
download.jpg

Phil Heaton

Reaction score
You can also snip the single off and fit a treble on a short wire trace to the front trace eye, nicking one of the points into the top of the lure.
An advantage of this is that the hook and lure body become detached causing less damage to the lure and in the case of larger lures less of a lever for the fish to twist against and unhook itself.
These days I don't buy weighted soft plastic lures with hooks attached but fit my own with either screw in nose weights and a stinger treble (or two on larger lures) on top or an EWG single hook and a cheb weight. the advantage is that light weights can be used on rivers and canals and heavier weights on rivers to counteract the flow and sink rate.
Buying soft plastic lures this way is also much cheaper and they can be stored, without hooks fitted of course in your pocket.

Last edited: