Hooklength breaks

Reaction score
I dont put shot on hooklengths in the main,but would not hesitate to fish straight through,where do you put shot then???

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I dont put shot on hooklengths in the main,but would not hesitate to fish straight through,where do you put shot then???

I don't hesitate to put shot on my line when fishing straight through, I do it pretty much everytime I go fishing. I'm not using delicate low B/S pre stretched lines though.

Reaction score
No,I agree,but if you used silstar matchteam in over 4.6lb you wouldn't(corrected) have an issue imo,there again there is shot and then razor shot...

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No,I agree,but if you used silstar matchteam in over 4.6lb you would have an issue imo,there again there is shot and then razor shot...

You've lost me a little Alan, do you mean silstar will damage easily with shot?
I've never used silstar as a mainline but imagine it may be good in the 7 or 8lb type strains, maybe even higher if the diameters are what they say they are.
I reckon i'll stick senny though, no worries at all putting shot on a premium line like senny lol.

silvertop

Reaction score
Thanks all for the responses. I may try lengthening the hooklength to six inches and swap over to a rod with a softer action. The takes I have been getting have been quite violent and in the shallow margin I guess a fish can get leverage from the bottom and bankside, so may be able to overstress the line to a break off. I fish barbless, but do not like the idea of fish breaking off with the hook in place even though they may shed it later.

Keith M

Reaction score
I still think that a short six inch hooklength on a rod is pushing it a bit when fishing virtually under your rod tip as there’s little line stretch, however if you are going to be using a rod with a softer action it might be ok.

Keith

Last edited:

Reaction score
You've lost me a little Alan, do you mean silstar will damage easily with shot?
I've never used silstar as a mainline but imagine it may be good in the 7 or 8lb type strains, maybe even higher if the diameters are what they say they are.
I reckon i'll stick senny though, no worries at all putting shot on a premium line like senny lol.

Sorry Ian,I didn't post it correctly,i'm going to correct it now.

seth49

Reaction score
I’ve had a few hook lengths break, tied at 4 inches for method feeder and also for margin pole rigs, using thin line for hook lengths, either 6 or 8 pounds test, as these are mainly for carp, well I was looking at which lines I had to tie some hook lengths with, and tried some Preston reflow sinking feeder line in 8 pounds test, not been broken since, using it with my margin pole, with some middy hi viz pole elastic, rated at 12 to 16, had carp up to fifteen pounds on it.

I have this line on a couple of feeder rods, and it’s very good, not had any problems with it all, I might try the standard Preston reflow and see how that goes.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Seth, I am using Preston reflo on some rigs as main rig line 0.19, paired up with various breaking strains of Guru N gauge. Only time had problem was when I was using Drennan Bungee elastic, it seems to soft for margin and can quickly be taken into snags if not quick enough.Am now on Preston slip size 16 solid.
For method feeder it's mainly Nguage hooklengths .
Other rigs are on shimano silk shock,

seth49

Reaction score
It was the guru line I was having problems with, a sudden jerk caused it to snap easily sometimes, not much give in it seemed.

Margin pole rigs have been better since I started tying them straight through, no weak spots.