Hooklinks

Specihunter

Reaction score
Instead of which is best to use.

My question is which ones should I avoid???
I'm not after braid or fluro yet so those I'll ask later. I just want one or two for both float and ledger/ feeder and to fish on all types of water.

Thanks
Speci

mikench

Reaction score
I don't understand the question. Is it about type of connection , strength or diameter of mono or length of hook length for differing applications, or something else entirely.

mikench

Reaction score
Do you mean prepared hook lengths ie hooks to nylon /mono? I use Drennan , Middy lassoo, Gamakatzu , Animal and Korum expert. I also prepare my own if I cannot fish straight through.

Specihunter

Reaction score
I did have some prepared rigs. But now I'm going to make my own. Found the prepared ones snapped to easy. Im drawn to drennon but wanted to know which brands I should avoid.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I use Guru a lot never had problems with them.
Drennan when I have not been able to get Guru or Preston Innovations.
Whichever brand I use I always check the knots at the hook and the loop to loop connection.
I have a couple of packs of middy lasso hooks to nylon which must be about 5 years old, I still use them with no problems.

Specihunter

Reaction score
I always prefer to make my own. As Ive not fished lakes for years. I got some ready made rigs just to start up. Now I'm fishing alot more it's time to make my own again.

Keith M

Reaction score
I did have some prepared rigs. But now I'm going to make my own. Found the prepared ones snapped to easy. Im drawn to drennon but wanted to know which brands I should avoid.
Specihunter, What prepared ones did you use? and which hooklength line(s) did they use? (It should say on their packaging).

They sound extremely bad if they’ve snapped too easily; unless you were using a rod that’s far too stiff and/or a mainline that’s far too strong for the strength of hooklength you were using; or your using very old hooklengths that are way too old to trust. So you are probably better suited to list the ones to avoid surely.

I have lots of pre-tied hooks tied to nylon or fluorocarbon line, made by people like Drennan, kamasan, Korum, middy, Guru and a few other hook manufacturers and they all sell good hooks both pre-tied and loose hooks (for you to tie to your own hooklengths); plus various lines suitable for hooklengths.

If you use well known brands of hooklengths and hooks (ready made or not) together with well balanced tackle then you shouldn’t find your hooklengths snapping as easily as the ones that you mentioned you’ve been using.

Keith

Last edited:

Specihunter

Reaction score
I was float fishing for small fish and got ambushed by carp. But as I said I want to make my own again. And I'm not a fan of loops for feeder or ledger fishing.

The Sogster

Reaction score
I was float fishing for small fish and got ambushed by carp. But as I said I want to make my own again. And I'm not a fan of loops for feeder or ledger fishing.

Then cut the loop off and tie to your swivel/ quick change bead etc.

Personally I don't use ready tied.
When tying my own rigs I quite like preston reflo which I've recently changed to as my favourites are now discontinued.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
In effect before you got ambushed by carp you were happy with the hook lengths you were using ?
A large fish will invariably break a light hook length, it does not mean that the hook length brand is useless because it snapped.
What line and hooks are you using now, also mainline ,?

Reaction score
Sadly,many dont like loop to loop,as said use a different knot,but I use loops in virtually all of my fishing,I seem to be doing ok,confidence is the key point,I tie all my hooklengths on the bank,in lines from 0.10mm(2.6lbs) up to 0.30mm(12lbs) with no issues,if I get broke it tends to be a t l least 2-3" up from the hook and well away from the loop,ive said before,the careful tightening of loops is critical,as is ensuring the knot is properly tightened,imo many lines are totally useless for hooklengths,but some that are on FM like those I dont and dislike my choices,that is fine,confidence in your tackle is paramount....

Specihunter

Reaction score
I don't want to keep buying ready made rigs I find them too restrictive and want to start making my own again. So I wish people will stop asking which ready made rigs I use.

Reaction score
I dont blame you,I would not buy them unless I had mobility or sight problems,having tied my hooklengths since the seventies,I have confidence in them and none in other peoples tying,that is the way of it for me...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I don't want to keep buying ready made rigs I find them too restrictive and want to start making my own again. So I wish people will stop asking which ready made rigs I use.
Your first post asked which ones to avoid,
So how could anyone answer as such without knowing which you had tried. ?
You could get a few saying avoid " brand X" and for all they knew you had already tried them and possibly found them ok.
Whatever you wished to avoid you will get numerous different answers, it's all down to personal choice.
Best advice , buy a few spools of line You are confident with and an assortment of hooks you are confident with and make your own like you said you were going to. Ignore everyone's own preferences.

nottskev

Reaction score
Your first post asked which ones to avoid,
So how could anyone answer as such without knowing which you had tried. ?

How indeed?

If I labelled all the gear trashed by carp gate-crashers, I'd be discounting some major brands.
There isn't, I think, a direct connection between being snapped by a large carp and gear being crap.

But I tie my own anyway. I've always thought ready-tied were on a par with Marks and Spencer ready peeled and chopped potatoes.

Reaction score
My point really is that everyone has personal choices/preferences and they clash with others,so sadly trial and error worked for me,some like supple hooklengths,others more stiff(me),all for their own reasons,rightly or wrongly believing what they believe,colours of line,clear line,we all persuade ourselves what is best,good luck...