Hooklinks

Specihunter

Reaction score
I haven't been coarse fishing for years just went sea fishing and one company's hooks I used started to snap easily. I wasn't the only one to notice this. And they weren't cheap to buy.

So i was wanting to know if the same has happened with any hooklinks, so I know what to avoid. I don't want to buy any line and find it's snaps easily.

I'm good on what hooks I'm going to use.

Keith M

Reaction score
I tie my own hooks to nylon if I need longer hook lengths of 18 to 24 inches, or I am not using a separate hooklength and fishing with mainline straight through to the hook; else I'm quite satisfied with using ready tied hooks which in my view have improved a lot in recent times. It may have been just luck but I can't remember having any ready tied hook lengths failing me in recent times (famous last words ?).

Keith

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
I haven't been coarse fishing for years just went sea fishing and one company's hooks I used started to snap easily. I wasn't the only one to notice this. And they weren't cheap to buy.

So i was wanting to know if the same has happened with any hooklinks, so I know what to avoid. I don't want to buy any line and find it's snaps easily.

Everyone who replied to your question regarding hook lengths asked a simple question. WHAT are you using now, for some reason you failed to say.
You may want to get away from the tripe you used but it would help those prepared to help you by recommending something different.
I'm not bothering you. You sound a little tricky.?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
24 posts on this ( 2 pages) and we still don't know what he used before.
All we do know is that he is tying his own.
You can't give advice/help to someone on brands without knowing what the original brand problem was.
So as they say on Dragons Den...
"I'm Out"

Reaction score
Dont think it really matters Mark,he wants to know what people consider rubbish...

Keith M

Reaction score

Maybe Specihunter was using Fladen line or Fishzone line, or a line from another unfamiliar manufacturer that you sometimes see in coastal tackle shops?

I’ve no idea as to how good or how rubbish their lines are as they seem to be non-mainstream fishing tackle companies that sell inexpensive sea and freshwater fishing tackle in a lot of our coastal tackleshops.

It would be a good thing to know what lines Specihunter was talking about.

Keith

Last edited:

Reaction score
Trouble is,buying pre-tied hooklengths on whatever line doesnt suit me personally,ie supplex fluorocarbon for example,Gordon really likes it(which is great),I wouldnt have it in my dustbin,its the way of preferences...

rayner

Reaction score
Specie wants information that is free from the forum, surely a bit of info coming back the other way is easy to manage.

sam vimes

Reaction score
If you ask folks to list every line they dislike and rule it out based on nothing more, you'll end up with no brand/type of line to try. It's much the same when you find folks refusing to buy certain brands of rod because they saw a report of one breaking. If you look hard enough, or ask enough people, you'll find someone that has had bad experiences with practically every rod, reel, line, hook etc ever sold.

The best thing the OP could do is state the scenarios he's fishing in (types of water, species and size of fish etc) and state the problems he's having and the specific lines concerned. Then ask what others would choose to use based on those factors.

Already in this thread, there are people dismissing lines which are my go to choices. That's fine, they have different preferences. However, the OP can have no idea whether his preferences might align more closely to mine or the other bloke. It makes little sense to discount the line based on the other bloke's negative comment. However, it makes no more sense to use it just on my say so. There has to be an element of "suck it and see". The only time I would avoid a product based on forum chatter is if the negativity is absolutely unanimous or if a few folks that I know have similar preferences to my own were dismissive.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Trouble is,buying pre-tied hooklengths on whatever line doesnt suit me personally,ie supplex fluorocarbon for example,Gordon really likes it(which is great),I wouldnt have it in my dustbin,its the way of preferences...

I do wonder sometimes whether you confuse Supplex and Supplex Fluorocarbon. Until very recently, Drennan hooks to nylon were all tied to unspecified mono (probably Supplex, but not Supplex Fluorocarbon). They've recently introduced pre-tied hooks to Supplex Fluorocarbon and have made a bit of a fuss about doing so.

I can't stand Supplex Mono, but I've used Supplex Fluoro extensively, and almost exclusively, for hooklinks over the past four years or so.

RMNDIL

Reaction score
Vast majority were/are tied to what was called & sold as Team England Rig Line (clear) or now called X-Tough. Some are tied to Supplex (e.g. Quickstop hair Rigs)

Reaction score
Ive used supplex fluorocarbon,dont like it for floatfishing,preferences Chris,I knows what I like and I likes what I use,lol...

sam vimes

Reaction score
Ive used supplex fluorocarbon,dont like it for floatfishing,preferences Chris,I knows what I like and I likes what I use,lol...
You may not like it and that's fine. However, it still doesn't make sense when you say that Drennan pre-tied hooks use it. Until very recently, no Drennan pre-tied hooks used Supplex fluorocarbon. This is why I'm often dubious when you talk about Supplex/Supplex Fluorocarbon.

Reaction score
It was an analogy abour how hooks tied to lines of their choice and how if they were tied to supplex f.carbon I would never use them,I am sure there are similar lines you dont get on with and wouldnt buy a hook tied to it surely...

Philip

Reaction score
Other than for Predator fishing most of the time nowadays I use a hooklink that is the same as my mainline & if I can get away with it I do away with a hooklink altogether and fish straight through.

I get the impression people could probably fish straight through a lot more often than they actually do, especially if your using relatively light tackle anyway.

Reaction score
I think its the safeguard of getting your set up back minus the hook,rather than risk the lot that makes most people use them,these days I rarely dont use a hooklength,that would be if I used 12lb mainline or 2....

Philip

Reaction score
Yes I do understand the point about getting tackle back but i wonder if on occasion its being prioritzed over fishing as well as you can to catch the fish ? ...for example.a hooklink will always add a weak point even if its the same as the mainline....

Last edited:

Reaction score
Agreed on many occasions people have a preconcieved idea that a hooklength is needed to catch,when often far heavier line still gets bites,ive quoted this before,but a mate of mine got fed up with being broken by rogue big barbel while trotting for chub on the Ivel,so started using 7.9lb Silstar matchteam straight through,it was though nothing had changed,his catches were mega,all the time,he caught just as many as anyone else when the river was rock hard,difficult to argue with his success...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
On seaside tackle shops I can vouch for that, their hooks to nylon are often cheap nylon and hooks aimed at the holiday/day tripper, probably tied at home and the cheap stuff used for maximum profit. Mind you I find they tend to go for far too heavy line for the purpose so breaking off not usual, this is probably to stop said holiday/day tripper having a break off and swearing at what the shop sold them and not going back again to buy more, your main line is more likely to break but, certainly a lot of cheap stuff. Generally I don't like ready tied anything, I like to know exactly what my hooks and line are.

Last edited: