Horlicks as a binder

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
I've heard of people using horlicks/malt drinks to bind maggots together,

Anyone tried this any good ?

And would it be useful mixed with ground bait to help it drop further maybe ?

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

nottskev

Reaction score
I think that's as a way to stick a clump of maggots together - cleaned of dust and slightly dampened - so they can be catapulted a long way and all hit the same spot.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Have tried horlicks as a binder for micros on a method feeder on a venue where groundbait is not allowed and the fishery pellets were poor. Works well but you have to be careful not to overdo it, or else you get claggy lumps that stick to your feeder like superglue.
Used sparingly it is fine for that purpose and would work with a groundbait as mentioned in the OP.

Never tried it with maggots.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have used Sticky-mag almost expensively over the years but did try Horlicks once ubt I found it too sticky to be honest.

With Sticky-mag I simply wet my hand and shake off the excess then rub the damp hand over a small tray of maggot, then add the Sticky-mag.
I've seen many an angler over-wet the maggots and again end up with a claggy mess.

nottskev

Reaction score
Some anglers are unsure what the difference is between Horlicks and Sticky Mag. The main one is that Sticky Mag, mixed in water then added to hot milk, makes a palatable drink.