How can I get started with Kayak fishing?

offroadrog

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm getting really keen to try my hand at kayak fishing (not just for predators), initially on freshwater maybe salt in time.
But would really like to give it a try before splashing out on the equipment.
Can anybody point me in the direction of any guides available for a try out or maybe just some fellow angler willing to share their experience (happy to help with expenses). Even just a few hints for starting out would be helpful.
Thanks and tight lines to all.

robertroach

Reaction score
I think you have to be very careful about where you do kayak fishing on freshwater. Feelings run high against paddlers where they have some impact on bank fishing. Not sure if it even gives you any advantages.

Maybe on some of the larger expanses of water like the Norfolk Broads it would be a runner, but even then a dinghy might be better.

Salt water is a different story however and well worth a go, although issues about safety would be important to consider.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Whereabouts are you thinking of as your initial trips on the rivers?

You should be aware of the current rules and law regarding navigable rights for craft, including canoes, on some rivers.

Estuaries are probably your best bet or indeed is the sea.

offroadrog

Reaction score
Thank you for the helpful comments so far, I'm thinking of trying the Thames as I'm quite convenient for it anywhere between Reading and Richmond, and maybe trying some estuary fishing or sea round the Portsmouth/Southampton area. Much as I would like to explore ,I would certainly keep away from waters without navigable rights,because I know how much people boating where they shouldn't p*****s me off.

B

binka

Thank you for the helpful comments so far, I'm thinking of trying the Thames as I'm quite convenient for it anywhere between Reading and Richmond, and maybe trying some estuary fishing or sea round the Portsmouth/Southampton area. Much as I would like to explore ,I would certainly keep away from waters without navigable rights,because I know how much people boating where they shouldn't p*****s me off.

Good luck with it all, it's nice to read of somebody with an awareness.

The other thing to watch out for is that fishing from boats, on stretches of rivers which are club water controlled, is also generally classed as illegal if you don't have the relevant permit and are adhering to the rules of that particular club.

The fact that you're in a boat and away from the bankside has little relevance as a club may lease or own the fishing rights which someone fishing from a boat might otherwise be deemed as stealing if you don't hold the relevant permit.

Enforcement, of course, is a different matter altogether but you sound like you're going about it in the right way :)

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I know a few anglers who kayak on the Thames around west London and Berks .
I don't think they're in a club but seem to congregate on face book.
Maybe worth checking on there.

Philip

Reaction score
Well I am certainly not about to claim I am a kayak fishing guru by any streach of the imagination but I do own a kayak and I do go freshwater fishing in it from time to time. I am not sure if you already do Kayaking so this may not be a huge help but here are a few very basic tips based on learning the hard way :

1. Use a kayak thats luggable on your own i.e you can drag it easily in & out of the water & across small bits of land. You will find that as you start to explore its easier to pull it across an island rather than paddle a half mile round it …
2. Conversly make sure its big enough to support you. Silly and common sense but especially on waters where there is some sizable boat traffic the wash can be quite substantial
3. Keep everything short. Short rod, short net handle…better ..no net…hand lift them out at the side of the Kayak. Long things in a Kayak are bad news and if you paddling into any sort of overgrown area you will suffer
4. Tie everything down. …make sure everything …everything! …is attached or you WILL lose it..
5. Maybe a personal one but most Kayaks simply don’t have enough of a back support. Ok for a bit of paddling but not so good for several hours of fishing and even the custom back supports that clip or belt in I don’t find very good. I now stuff some inflatable cusions (the sort they sell in camping shops as pillows) behind me to prop me up a bit more, plus they weigh zero.
6. A hooked fish can pull you towards it. A little surprising when your used to fishing from a bank !

Anyway that’s a few very noddy tips for you from a kayak fishing noddy ! ..after that its how far do you want to take things ? ...if you really want to go the whole hogg then take a look at this ;)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiiuJ7p28A4

steve2

Reaction score
Question that some one may be able to answer.

When fishing from a boat of any sort on a river who owns the fishing?
If a club only rents one bank does it rent the fishing up to half way across or all the fishing bank to bank?
Do they rent the bank fishing and not the river fishing?
Opposite banks can have different owners so can a club stop someone from fishing if they are past the half way line?
On one of my club waters boat owners fish from their moored boats but none of them are members or need to be.

wardalan1987

Reaction score
Good question, I really don't know the answer to that but I am curious to know the answer as we have a boat in the family and have been know to fish from it. For the record to date only on Notts AA waters that I am a member of or day ticket sections of the canal (never been asked to pay though)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
When fishing from a boat of any sort on a river who owns the fishing?

Typically Steve a club owns the fishing rights from their bank to the centre of the river, unless the riparian owner also owns both banks in which case the club have the rights.

It follows that to attempt to fish (unless a club member and with permission) from a boat/canoe would in effect be classified as the theft of fishing rights which should always be reported using crime code: 116/11

Read the information on this link, as well as following the link that tells you how to report the crime:

New Police code for Theft of Fishing Rights to make reporting crime easier - The Angling Trust

Last edited:

keora

Reaction score

Even if you launch a boat on a navigable water, this doesn't mean you have the right to fish from the boat. For example, I occasionally fish the Yorkshire Ouse and the Ure (essentially the same river), which is navigable from the sea up to Ripon. One of the clubs I belonged to had to take legal advice about non members fishing the club's stretch of the Ure from boats. The legal advice was that on this stretch of river, fishing rights belong to the riparian owners and their tenants and anglers fishing from boats are poaching unless they have consent from the riparian owners or tenants.

The rules for the Thames might be different.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The legal advice was that on this stretch of river, fishing rights belong to the riparian owners and their tenants . Anglers fishing from boats are poaching unless they have consent from the riparian owners or tenants. The rules for the Thames might be different.

That is exactly right. for many rivers.

However, for the River Thames in particular there are many areas of Free Fishing whereas other stretches are limited to club membership or day ticket access. It is therefore difficult to apply a one solution fits all response.

mikench

Reaction score
I have heard the Snake river is very nice and has loads of fish:rolleyes:

It is in Montana!;)

simon frost

Reaction score
Hi bud I do a lot of kayak fishing for pike chub etc it's the best. If your after info then google course kayak fishing forum. Join and your have all the info you need i.e. What yak to buy,tackle and top of the list safety. It's a great forum lots of help.

offroadrog

Reaction score
Hi bud I do a lot of kayak fishing for pike chub etc it's the best. If your after info then google course kayak fishing forum. Join and your have all the info you need i.e. What yak to buy,tackle and top of the list safety. It's a great forum lots of help.

Thanks Simon, I'll check out the forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve Appleford

Reaction score
Kayak fished the Thames for a few years now and it's esp good for the following
Vertical jigging for Perch
Fly fishing for Pike in the weir pools
Surface lure fishing
Trotting a line from anchored yak in front of trees
Secondhand brands such as wilderness systems Tarpon 100 or 120 angler equivalent Moken 10 or 12 or ocean trident 13 are good buys and can be found fully rigged on the forums mentioned sales bit
Mates have galaxy Cruze yak which is fine for the money but **** seat compared to the tarpon
Secondhand gives best value ,if your gonna fish from them in the winter a dry suit is sensible
Fitted a finder to mine to aid vertical jigging drifting between weed beds
Lock and weir permit for the Thames opens up plenty of weir pools lads of room on rest of river if you are sensible you should have no Agro
Fish Reading upstream mainly if you get one shout be good to meet

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Typically the riparian owner rents the fishing rights from the bank. The rights extend to the centre of the river, and that is important particularly when different clubs control opposite banks.

Boat owners fishing from their boats are technically stealing the fishing rights unless they are members of the controlling club(s) although their may be ancient bye laws that also deal with this topic in some areas.

john step

Reaction score
Is this safe to click from a new paddlers first post in answer to a post started in 2016?