How did you get on?

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Nasty looking mouth.

Got out on Wednesday for the first time since my last week in France in September.

New lake for me, a lot of people there, so we walked the 200 or so yrds to the far end of the lake and found two adjacent swims. Set up, rods out, kettle on, looked great all morning, then temperature dropped, a bit of rain and a glorious blank! Just wasn't having it. Talking to the other anglers when we finally gave it best in the evening we were in good company. Very little caught by anybody.

However, after the trauma of the lockdown and trying to keep my business solvent etc. etc. was a thoroughly enjoyable blank on a very pretty lake. I will be back for some more of it, and hopefully a few fish will grace my net.

Tight Lines and Bent Rods

Stu

mikench

Reaction score
You can blame the carpers for that. I found a hook on the bank which I saw because it was so big and barbed. It would have hooked a great white. The tench were caught on maggot with a size 14 and an esterfruit boilie on a 12.

bullet

Reaction score
Couple of hours on the river this evening, it has risen about 4 inches with the rain and was carrying a bit of colour.
Not much in the way of fly life about, so the dry fly was out of the question, but a small streamer sorted out a few fish with a couple of decent ones.

IMG_20200613_211906732.jpg

Looking forward to getting out with the trotting gear sometime next week.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Had a few hours on the Oxford Canal yesterday afternoon, took my Crystalite and old Shimano Aero Perfection 4000 reel.
Afternoon started of bad, I dropped top section of landing net handle in the canal.
Myself and lad i was with ad a go at retrieving it but to no avail.
Anyway i set up a Billy Makin Canal float, lightly shotted for on the drop fishing, mainline was 2lbs, hooklength 1.8lbs hook was Drennan silverfish maggot size 20, bait either red maggot or worm.
Had practice cast ,had to do side cast due to overhanging foliage on far side,
To my surprise it dropped about 6" short of far side, so I clipped up.
The session started well, a few roach, perch, then went quiet, so changed to small piece of worm while pinging a few maggots across,
Kept fishing the far side with the occasional foray down the track.
Had to work hard after quiet spell to catch,
Change depth, shotting pattern,
The last fish I caught was a little Tommy Ruffe, Ended up with probably just over a pound of bits, in a few hours.
Hopefully off to a gravel pit later today and The Avon at Stratford one day next week

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Canal fixture today near Tring. Drew a nice peg with a far bank feature.
17615B3B-2F89-4359-BA77-75FCBD5C6817.jpeg

Fishing long under the branches with punch it was roach virtually every time, never missed so many bites before though; bloody frustrating.
6 hours in full sun and a cross wind was also quite taxing on my body and eyes, weighed in just 1:13:0 for nowhere.

CA9A1ED7-4226-4CFC-949B-AB01A8936033.jpeg

Winner had just 4:12:0 so hard for everyone...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Canal fixture today near Tring. Drew a nice peg with a far bank feature.View attachment 9415

Fishing long under the branches with punch it was roach virtually every time, never missed so many bites before though; bloody frustrating.
6 hours in full sun and a cross wind was also quite taxing on my body and eyes, weighed in just 1:13:0 for nowhere.

View attachment 9416
Winner had just 4:12:0 so hard for everyone...
Nice pole Peter:sneaky:

nottskev

Reaction score
Had a couple of goes in the last week. The first was at a woodland pond that always looks great, but usually proves hard going. The attraction is the setting, the remoteness......... and the good line in sales talk from the bloke who sold me (and Steve) the ticket. We had a thread or two about this - clubs talking up fisheries.

ars.jpg

You never seem to get a bite before afternoon, so I turned up at 3pm. Two hours later, I'm waiting for a bite from either of the two swims I've been dripping bait into. Micros and dead maggots on one side, live maggots on the other. I've got two rigs - full depth and off the bottom, but no permutation of rigs, swims and baits gets any response.

Then at 5pm I get 7 consecutive bites. Three turn into fish, all like this bream

Ars1.jpg

The other 4 turn into fish that feel similar but come off the hook on the way in. Ho Hum. BTW, the only bites/fish came on the dead maggot feed and hookbait. If you think that can't be right, and they should be eating the lives, tell those fish, please. I though I might stay into the evening, but the lost fish seemed to kill it off.

This evening I thought I'd try the Tench Lake for a couple of hours. Basically, to save me having to get up early tomorrow morning. I got there just before 4pm, and it looked nice, although the best I could do was a peg down a steep and slippy bank where I had to set up in the water. (The one you caught your first tench in, Mike).

ars2.jpg

From 4 to 5pm I had one bite, and thought, this feels familiar. But it livened up and between 5 and 7pm I caught 43 small tench and 9 roach, all on 4mm expanders over micros, the live maggot swim producing nothing. Most of the tench were no bigger than this.

ars3.jpg

I had the idea that a few bigger ones might show up later, but the weather had different ideas. The thunder kept getting closer, and when the clouds started to darken, I packed up and left. Coming back, the road was full of deep puddles and I was happy enough to have escaped a soaking.

ars4.jpg

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've already upped my PB tench twice since lockdown with fish of 6lb 3oz and 6lb 9oz. My target for the season was to break the 6lb mark and I've done that four times. This evening, I've obliterated my new target and PB by some margin. One bite for one fish of 7lb 15oz. You'll have to wait for some pics because they are all on someone else's camera.

mikench

Reaction score
And he says it's hard.;) I'm joking Chris and envious. I do like tench and those small little bars of soap are a delight Kev.

Enough of this praise for others it's time for me to recount my own little venture. I left to go early and to come home as thunderstorms were forecast and looked likely. They haven't materialised as yet and as I commented to a club member by leaving early I had saved him from a drenching or worse. I returned to a favorite and ended up with 56 assorted fish from carp like this( about 8lb) to some stonking gudgeon. I do like these little fishes.

IMG_6898.JPG
IMG_6899.JPG

I had several roach and perch but mainly small. Bream featured both as skimmers and around 3lb. It was very hot and humid even with a parasol.

IMG_6900.JPG

An enjoyable few hours and all caught on maggot save for the 5 carp which were attracted to floating crust.

Last edited:

Richard Bartlett

Reaction score
I've already upped my PB tench twice since lockdown with fish of 6lb 3oz and 6lb 9oz. My target for the season was to break the 6lb mark and I've done that four times. This evening, I've obliterated my new target and PB by some margin. One bite for one fish of 7lb 15oz. You'll have to wait for some pics because they are all on someone else's camera.

I've just downloaded/processed the pics but will leave Chris to select his trophy shot. However, as a taster, here he is at the moment of realisation!
Img_0483 lowres.jpg

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Today saw me renew my membership for Newland Angling club, this clubs waters are on the Linear complex, gravel pit type waters..
I went with the intention of trying out my newly acquired Speedmaster feeder rod and one of my Aspire float rods, Also took Matrix MTX margin pole I bought in February but not had chance to use,
The feeder rod was set up with a 20g hybrid feeder and 4" hooklength of 5lbs line to a 14 hook with bait band, reel was shimano 4000 DL baitrunner loaded with 5lbs mainline.
The float rod was set up loaded crystal waggler and light shotted with number 8 stotz, reel was Preston Innovations Inception 4000 loaded with 4lbs mainline to a 3lbs hooklength and 18 hook.
The topkits on margin pole were elasticated with 10/12 , 14/16 and 16/18 Drennan bungee, and fitted with side pullers,
The 2 rigs on the lighter elastics were Preston Innovations Tyson 5 and took equivalent of 4 x 14 shot, these were on 0.16 guru line and 18 tubertini 808 hook,the rig for the 16/18 elastic was an inline Middy carp 0.3g shotted with stotz as bulk and couple of droppers, line again was guru and hooklength was 0.16 to a 14 hook.
I started off on the feeder casting around 30 yards out, bait was settings 2mm micro pellets in feeder and an 8mm Robin Red drilled pellet.
After a few casts to get a bit of feed in and some hard pellets catapulted in the area I settled down to see what happens,
After half an hour and one slight knock on the tip, I reeled in and put feeder in rests and cast the waggler rod out, bait was red maggot,
Roach and perch were being caught steadily, I was pleased with the performance of the rod,
Next up was the lighter elastic topkit on pole at 8.5 metres in 8' of water, the float was set at 5' bait was again red maggot. More roach and perch of various sizes were swung in,
The method to catching was to drop rig in the flow created by the aerator and let it run ,
Next up was the other PI float rig, this was set at dead depth in 8' of water to th left of my peg and away from aerator. Bait was worm. A few larger perch and a couple of skimmers came to the net,
As I was trying these methods out I was priming a margin swim to my right next to some lily pads, this was primed with 2mm pellets and red maggot.
So off to try the margin, again a succession of perch and silvers came in, not much of a fight on 16/18 elastic.
I changed bait from bunch of maggots to a Bait Tech sweet flavour durable hooker pellet,
Plenty of bite from small fish, pellet was too big for them to eat, Then the float dipped and started to move away from lily pads, Lifted into it ,and the fish changed its mind and headed back to lily pads, I managed to get it out, only for it to head for under the platform I was on.It ended up swimming round one of scaffolding poles and line snapped,
On with new hooklength and same bait and swim fed with a couple of bait tech pellets and 2mms. Again float dipped and off it went, This time the hook pulled out,
So again a handful of 2mms and new pellet on the hook after checking to see if it was ok.
Again a few tentative bites before a proper bite, and again ended up getting seen off.
These fish could have been large carp or good sized tench,
As for hookpulls I am thinking that the 16/18 bungee could have been set a little to tight.
I will be going back this week, with rigs made up on 0.21 line and see what happens . Only taking margin pole plus beastmaster 4 metre margin extreme with 18 solid elastic through a short number one ,plus shok stick margin pole with again 18 solid through a long number one.
The reason for taking these is to compare the solid elastic to the bungee. I think if I had Preston Innovations 17h in margin topkit I would have stood a better chance, if catch and pull out again on the 16/18 bungee it will be changed for either a solid or 17h.

tommos16

Reaction score
A great day for me today, at Partridge lakes in Warrington. Banded pellet on the waggler less than 2ft from the bank got me the best fish but over the course of the day I had good Ide, Roach, Rudd, Skimmers, my biggest Bream, Gudgeon, Carp, F1 and even a chunky Goldfish! And the smallest Perch I’ve ever seen took six maggots on a size 12 and managed to gut hook itself. (6 maggots on the hook was a slightly comedic attempt to get away from minnows). Was lucky to get the hook out.

I was on an old stock pond and they react well to micro pellets so I alternated between the maggot feeder and the hybrid feeder while keeping the waggler in shallow. Truth be told, I think you’d catch on a bare hook, but less than a year into angling to walk away from a 10hr session with well over 100 fish is a hell of a feeling for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Philip

Reaction score
No photos on this occasion but an unusual occurrence.
I lost 2 fish down on the river yesterday evening, both due to hooklink breakage which annoyed me greatly as I felt something was not quite right about the line..bad angling ! Anyway I returned this evening retooled and respooled & even though I don’t have a close season were I am I thought I would stick it out till midnight to see June 16th in. I even got my phone out to count the seconds down to the hour holding the rod in the other hand. The moment came and no kidding literally seconds after midnight I had a firm tug and landed a Barbel which had both my hooks in from the previous evening !
Of course I removed all three hooks and watched it swim off. Angling fate or whatever, the chances of that ever happening again are remote to say the least.